Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Reindeer migration live streaming: anyone watching?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

I went on a research trip to Northern Finland 18 months ago and saw them in the wild. We also got to sample their meat in a number of different forms – dried and smoked was particularly good.

cinnamon_girl

Wow, lucky you! Was the meat an acquired taste?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dovebiker

Reindeer are farmed in the same way that we treat cows and they use most of the animal. I had some nice reindeer meat ‘crisps’ whilst I was in Finland and bought a lovely ‘winter grade’ hide that is very nice on my camper van seats.

CaptJon
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Wow, lucky you! Was the meat an acquired taste?

Not really. It’s like a game-y beef. And like beef tastes differently depending what form it came in. We had it in quiche, meatballs and smoked/dried. As we ate the meatballs an adult male wandered past the window of the research station canteen, fortunately it didn’t notice us or what we were eating.

This feed is so relaxing with the music and Norwegian poetry.

mmannerr

Reindeer are farmed in the same way that we treat cows and they use most of the animal.

Not really comparable to cows. The reindeer spend their lives out there and are not really domesticated except for animals used for sled pulling. These days some of the reindeers are fed with hay which is not nice, it really alters the taste of the meat. There are bit too many of them in some areas where all the lichen (their main nutrition in winter) is gone.

darrell
    Free Member

the meat is lovely. Ive just bought about 3 kg of filets for the freezer. Will keep me going for a while

sweepy
    Free Member

I can’t get it to work 🙁

I ate reindeer at a hogmanay party at the Cairngorm herders, it was lovely. Enjoyed the reindeer sleigh ride on at xmas enough to watch it three times so this sounds right up my street

CaptJon
    Free Member

darrell – Member
    the meat is lovely. Ive just bought about 3 kg of filets for the freezer. Will keep me going for a while

Where from?

Junkyard
    Free Member

so thread on their migration immediately turns into discussion of how tasty they are 😕

cinnamon_girl

Not really. It’s like a game-y beef. And like beef tastes differently depending what form it came in. We had it in quiche, meatballs and smoked/dried. As we ate the meatballs an adult male wandered past the window of the research station canteen, fortunately it didn’t notice us or what we were eating.

This feed is so relaxing with the music and Norwegian poetry.

Interesting! May I ask what you were researching? Assuming it wasn’t anything to do with reindeer?

Was quite an undertaking but this live streaming is definitely relaxing and fascinating.

I can’t get it to work

I had that problem and discovered it was due to the setting for Flash.

Enjoyed the reindeer sleigh ride on at xmas enough to watch it three times so this sounds right up my street

That was terrific! I thought I’d be bored witless for over 2 hours watching a Sami girl on a sleigh but it was really enjoyable.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    so thread on their migration immediately turns into discussion of how tasty they are

is there any other point in them? 😆

corroded
    Free Member

mmm reindeer carpaccio…

darrell
    Free Member

Where from?

one of the slightly more upmarket stores here in Norway

although to be honest pretty much all the stores will have reindeer in the freezer section

Markie
    Free Member

Cool feed! What amazed me when we went to Finland was the way they track reindeer ownership through earmarks – over 12000 are registered, apparently! You can see them in the close up shots on the live stream.

Earmarks

bodgy
    Free Member

Well, that’s bank Holiday weekend taken care of then.

cinnamon_girl

Some super close-up shots when they’re feeding, totally addicted to this and can’t wait for when they swim across a fjord. 😀

Serious q – can anyone recommend some reading on the Sami?

tjagain

I share 65% of my genes with the Sami people. Gawd alone knows how!

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive got this working but its awful, judderey video and the audio is the same or non existent. Can anyone give me any ideas on improving it?

sweepy
    Free Member

That giant snowmachine is ACE!

cinnamon_girl

Not having a problem here and have been watching on and off all day. 😳

CaptJon
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Interesting! May I ask what you were researching? Assuming it wasn’t anything to do with reindeer?

It was actually quite random and when i tell people it starts like a joke: A human geography (me), a physical geographer, an artist, an art historian and a phd student walk into a palsa field…

It was a scoping trip to see if we could write a multi-disciplinary research bid centred on peat landscapes. The idea was each person would write a proposal from a different perspective and we’d study how different people used/lived in/understood places like the peatlands of the northern pennines, arctic and malaysia.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, definitely random CaptJon! Did it happen in the end?

Anyone understand the map? Curious about the horizontal lines that are in some of the water.

Reindeer haven’t far to go before crossing a road, that should be quite a spectacle if you happen to be there in your car.

rmacattack
    Free Member

needs more cowbell!

i enjoy things like this. the brooks falls bear one is also good.

CaptJon
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Ah, definitely random CaptJon! Did it happen in the end?

Anyone understand the map? Curious about the horizontal lines that are in some of the water.

The artist became a PhD student (supervised by the physical geographer and myself), but we never wrote a bid for the project – not sure why, guess the principle investigator didn’t think the ideas we came up with where feasible.

I think those lines might indicate temporary lakes when the snow melts, or bogs/mires

cinnamon_girl

Oh bad luck then.

Only 3.5km to the road crossing but weather is deteriorating as it’s snowing heavily. Road crossing may not go ahead.

cinnamon_girl

They’re very close to crossing the road and conditions are still awful. Filming will stop tomorrow unfortunately.

cinnamon_girl

Crossing now!

cinnamon_girl

Streaming stopped around midnight but the map is still updating with location. We’ve been promised that the river crossing will be shown live and I’m guessing that it could be around midnight.

Can’t wait to see a herd of 1,500 reindeer swimming. 😀

On an amusing note, where the comments were being translated, someone was kicking off about the streaming being stopped and how they paid their licence fee, it wasn’t good enough etc. 😆

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Are there Wels Catfish waiting in the water to take out any straggling reindeer? 😉

Been a cool stream to look at for a few minutes at a time since you posted the link. 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It says…

On behalf of NRK and the Sara family, we thank you for all the involvement in the chat this week. We hope to see you when the herd is ready to pass the strait between the mainland and Kvaløya. The passing will be broadcasted live on nrk.no/rein.

… *waits*

scotroutes

seosamh77 – Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    so thread on their migration immediately turns into discussion of how tasty they are

is there any other point in them? [/quote]

Well, you know…. Santa.

cinnamon_girl

They’re getting ever closer, can’t wait! Is there anyone who speaks Norwegian and wouldn’t mind checking the Twitter feed? Keen to hear of conditions and timings, wondering when I’ll get to bed. 😆

cinnamon_girl

Reindeer now extremely close to the water and presumably they need to rest up for a good while before crossing.

Twitter feed #NRKrein

cinnamon_girl

Update Live coverage tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10.00 am Norwegian time, not sure about here.

GPS positioning on map is not completely accurate and the herd look to be further away from the water than what is showing.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The GMT website has a few useful features, Norwegian time is an hour ahead of us.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks slowoldgit, 9.00 am in the UK.

wallop

I’m in Greece. Is it 8.00am back home?

What’s happening at 9.00am – will they cross the water? Looks cold!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Potentially gutting news: Reindeer are catching the ferry to cross the water due to the weather. 👿

cinnamon_girl

NOOOOOOOOOOOO please NO

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Reindeer migration live streaming: anyone watching?’ is closed to new replies.