Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Regular night rides around Winter Hill/Rivington?
  • GavinB

Just moved to Horwich, and have been out quite a few times around Winter Hill, but am really keen to hear if there are any 'regular' night rides around these parts.

So, where do folk meet up, and is there a 'night' when you usually go for a ride?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the Groovy Tribe used to do it every Tuesday evening! The southern chapter of the Bog Trotters go there quite often, and also other trails nearby(ish) like Great Hill, Darwen Tower, White Coppice, Gisburn, Longridge etc

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Try getting hold of Lowey or Junkyard..

Both absolutley top lads, and local to that area..

lowey

Junkyard and Donk usually ride every Wednesday starting from over your neck of the wood.

Kingkongsfinger rides Thursdays I think, again from over your way, but he is a leg ripper.

We ride most Thursdays (although not always) but we start from Sharples which is to'ther side of the hill to you. Also, If I'm completely honest, our mid week rides are really just a quick blast out then back to the pub for 5-6 pints or back home for a fire and Bottles of beer.

Junkyard will be your best bet mate.

grumm
    Free Member

Junkyard is your man. Might need to take a spare chain with you though. 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Lowey is an alky

GavinB

Lol at the replies so far – thanks guys 🙂

I guess I'd prefer it if I could ride straight from here, or else not have to drive to the start of a ride, especially if there may be a pub involved!

Junkyard or Kingkongsfinger then. Whats the deal with taking a spare chain for riding with Junkyard?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/

We have the odd ride up that way from time to time

lowey

Whats the deal with taking a spare chain for riding with Junkyard?

Marvel at Junkyards preparation ineptitude.

GavinB

Aha, I see Lowey…

I've had friends (on here) turn up for a ride without wheels! That was an EPIC fail!

samuri
    Free Member

Kingkongsfinger

Depends on your fitness I suspect. His introductory post to his rides on here went something along the lines of 'if you get dropped, you get dropped'. So expect to be left in the middle of nowhere if you can't keep up. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

**** off yer b@stard …one simple mistake and will you ever let it lie.

Ok I ride mainly Tuesdays [sometimes weds]with DONK, Trio and others from here
    I always manage to get there as I ride from home so dont forget bits!
    Donk and I ride whatever the weather …we have been known to only use singlespeeds throughout the winter and ride at a reasonable/social pace ..he is faster than me but patient.
    Usually meet at Barn for 7 pm and ride till about 10 ish …we ride back so you will be home 9-9:30 ish.
    SO
    Join Lowey if you prefer to ride in nice weather and never pass a pub.
    Join King Kong if you want to ride like the wind ..he is sound though but quick
    Chucky AKA Vortex rides Weds in Winter IIRC.

GavinB

Cheers Junkyard – I've been known to ride with Trio from time to time, she showed me some of the trails around here when I first moved here.

If there's a ride on tomorrow night, I'll get down to the lower barn for 7 and hopefully see you guys there.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that picture of Junky is terrible – how could anyone think to ride in those shorts ???

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 at sfb
    But really fashion tips from Barnes and objecting to shorts 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and objecting to shorts

your shorts
    with leggings
    and your spindly legs inside 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Depends on your fitness I suspect. His introductory post to his rides on here went something along the lines of 'if you get dropped, you get dropped'. So expect to be left in the middle of nowhere if you can't keep up.

It's not for nothing that we nicknamed Gav, 'Tortoise Boy' when he lived down this way.

Nezbo
    Free Member

There is a group of us that do a ride ever Tuesday night (starting a 6:15) starting and ending at the Sunnyhurst pub in Darwen.

Feel free to come along if you want.

Google Map

GavinB

Cheers Nezbo – that would have been ideal a few months ago when I was over in Belmont. Good to know there's lots of groups all over the place up here.

lowey

Lowey is an Alky

My Body is a temple Mr Barnes as well you know.

You moved from Belmont to Horwich ? are you mad ? Christ you'll be in Chorley next if your not careful

GavinB

😯

These are hard times – plus the trails are rather good over this side of the hill too!

When I was staying in Belmont I had the massive bonus of riding down the San Marino descent at the end of pretty much every ride – but pretty much every other option involved quite a lot of road ,or lifting the bike over fences…. 😕

AndyF1
    Free Member

There`s a few of us out tonight…meeting up at Bob smithy half 7.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Jeez I wish I still lived in bolton (5mins from Bob Smithy) – all this talk of Winter Hill / San Marino descents makes me jealous. It used to be so easy to pop out after work for a couple of hours on them moors.

lowey

Gavin, you should have tapped us up when you were in Belmont. We used to go to the Bull after most rides for a few beers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gav I am not out tonight – long story but will e-mail you for next week

zokes
    Free Member

After a 9-year hiatus, I'll be moving back to Rivi (well, Belmont this time) in a few weeks. As most of my old cycling mates have now moved away, or given up, I'd be very much up for meeting some new people to ride with…

Email's in my profile, but I suspect I'll resurrect this thread when I move in!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Gav,

About 2-6 of us always meet at the Bottom barn on a Thursday at 6.30 for a 2 hr ride. It is fairly brisk but not eyeballs out.

If your >14 stone you may struggle (unless your Magnus Backstedt) 😀

Your more than welcome to join in, theres no through and off this time of year. 😳

Bolt

Me and a few mates ride from around the area Belmont, Abbey village, rivington etc. Mainly Tuesdays and some Tursdays.

Going tonight form abbey village(hare and hounds pub) at 6pm.

Email in profile.

Cheers Bolt

GavinB

Cheers guys, I really appreciate your help here!

I think I'll pop on over to Bob's Smithy tonight and then assuming I'm still weighing in under 14st by Thursday, I'll try to meet Kingkongsfinger then 🙂

lowey

Be sure to sample a Pint of Bank Top in the smithy!!

zokes
    Free Member

Be sure to sample a Pint of Bank Top in the smithy!!

Curiously, I've gone off Bank Top recently. I'll have to drink more this weekend in an attempt to rectify this problem…

AndyF1
    Free Member

See you at Bob smithy then,as lowey says,bring a few quid for a post ride Beer or two.

lowey

Curiously, I've gone off Bank Top recently. I'll have to drink more this weekend in an attempt to rectify this problem…

Upon your return to civilisation then, Get yourself into the Bull and sample a pint from Al's cellar. His Flat Cap is simply the finest ale known to man. Truly the Champagne of the North. It tastes better than the pints we get straight from the brewery.

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, that's the problem you see. He also keeps Moorhouse's fine wares extremely well. If only he'd get Black Cat or even better, Black Panther in – Blonde Witch is a little summery for these long cold nights…. (I shall be living about 20 yards up the road from the Bull…)

I'll be down most weekends, but as I'm in the process of moving house to Belmont, sadly no room for bike in car, as it's full of boxes each weekend, and sadly the missus' little 14" Merida is a little too small 🙁

Most certainly up for getting involved when I'm settled in properly though, if anyone will have me…

lowey

Ask him. He has a list of beers he can get hold of.

He may be a touch on the morose side, but he is a fookin craftsman when it comes to keeping beer.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

GavinB, I think I'll pop on over to Bob's Smithy tonight and then assuming I'm still weighing in under 14st by Thursday, I'll try to meet Kingkongsfinger then

Good lad 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Ask him. He has a list of beers he can get hold of.

I did. Sadly he reckons he doesn't sell enough mild / stout / porter to warrant it. He pointed me to the godawful keg mild instead!

He may be a touch on the morose side, but he is a fookin craftsman when it comes to keeping beer.

I'm not arguing with either of these points! 😉

I look forwards to meeting up with some of you in the new year, unless any of you happen to be in the bull any off the weekends prior to xmas…

nbt

Watch out Gavin, you might get your arse handed to you on a plate.

lowey

We are having our xmas ride either the 5th or the 19th. Will be decided tonight. If its the 19th Then its also Al's 60th and he's having a bit of a party at the pub.

I'll let you know.

wors

I 've been riding with Lowey and gang since the beginning of this year, good group of lads and enjoy a good crack.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Regular night rides around Winter Hill/Rivington?’ is closed to new replies.