Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Registering with a GP, not where I live.
  • tomhoward

Bit confused here…

I’ve lived and worked in Harrogate for close on 10 years now, always been registered with the same GP, go fairly regularly for appts, repeat prescriptions etc and they get lots of letters from various depts at various hospitals for all my various ailments.

About 8 months ago I moved to Leeds, still working in Harrogate, but didn’t tell the GP, as it was much more convenient to have the surgery 10 mins ride from where I work so I could go before work or on lunch.

Had to go to minor injuries in Leeds for a check as my hip was so painful to move I couldn’t put my socks on, told the receptionist the address the NHS would have was Harrogate but I was living in Leeds if it made a difference.

Within, literally, 5 mins of that my GP was ringing telling me I had 28 days to re register with a GP in Leeds, which is a massive PITA for me as it means a 3 hour round trip if I’m at work (I don’t drive, and the Leeds gp doesn’t do eves or w/e) and 1/2 a day off work,

NHS website indicates that I can register with a GP not local to me (since Jan ’15) for exactly the reasons above, but as I’m already registered (for 2 more weeks at least) can they just kick me out?

What’s the score? Do I have to move doctors?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Unless the advice has changed, i believe you’ve read that wrong… (I did when i read it the first time after i moved house only when i reread it prior to complaining)

They have the option of allowing you to stay now, where previously they were obligated to make you reregister if you moved out of catchment. They aren’t (or at least weren’t two years ago) obligated to keep you on though, it’s at their discretion. Busy practices will must likely tell you to move, quiet ones maybe not.

Its a pita, but it is what it is.

tomhoward

Yeah, the NHS site says they may accept out of catchment patients, but I guess aren’t obligated to, same for keeping them I guess.

Balls.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes.

I live in (co-incidentally) Harrogate and was registered with the family practice in Knaresborough (which I had been at since a small boy) but I moved slightly further away just on the outskirts of Harrogate but it took me out of the catchment area for their surgery so I had to move.

tomhoward

Well, I have an appt with them tomorrow, so will plead with them, see if they change their minds. Helpfully, there are 4 practices within the same building, so hopefully one of them will be feeling kind and accommodating…

Cheers all

johndoh
    Free Member

Where is that then? Can’t think of any with 4 practices within the same building in Harrogate.

tomhoward

Mowbray square medical centre, just off east parade.

Park parade surgery (who I’m with)
    East parade surgery
    Spa surgery
    St Luke’s surgery

tomhoward

Double post

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Quick Google suggests that’s where the GUM clinic is too…

Mine were on Kings road and wouldn’t keep me when i moved out past knaresborough forcing me to re register in either Boroughbridge or the one surgery in knaresborough that’ll take village people like me.

(Their explanation by the way was that it was a none or all thing, they weren’t allowed to assess on a patient by patient basis and, since they had to provide at home cover [for the wrinklies and kids largely i guess] they kept no-one outside catchment)

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahhh yes – for some reason I thought that placed had closed.

FWIW – when I had to move the place on Leeds Road (halfway between the Stray and the M&S traffic lights) had places. I moved on from them to the same place my wife was with (Eastgate / Health Centre) but it’s normally full – I only got a place as a spouse.

docrobster
    Free Member

Taking on out of area patients is optional for practices. I don’t know of any that do it.
    The government seems keen to push 8-8 7 day services for people just like the op. Especially in the bigger cities. The thing is you will need to be registered with a practice in the city to access the services.
    Don’t know where in Leeds you are but for example….
    Something about extended hours here

DrP

As per Dr Robster up there..
    A practice could accept additional payments to take an out of area patient who is working locally – I can see the benefit of that TBH (for the patient)..

But most practices have a boudary, and if you are out of boundary, they won’t want you on their books. Many surgeries are under great pressure, adn probably do all they can to safely manage workload – if this means losing out of area patients so they can deliver care to in area, then that’s the way i’m afraid..

DrP

ahsat

I had similar when only moving a short distance but it put me just out of area. My surgery told me I could stay if I wanted (this was 2011) but would get no out of hours or emergency cover. Decided this was probably the point I really wanted a doctor, so decided to swap.

Anyway, now in NW Leeds and our practice does extended hours in the winter. In the summer they seem to running it in a partnership with other practices out of the community health center. You normally have the choice of a couple of practices, so shop about to see if one can offer you more appointment choices.

DrP

but would get no out of hours or emergency cover

Odd.. OOH is usually by an outsourced provider..
    And..If they said “you’re too far, we won’t visit you”; well, they can’t do that either as it’s part of the contract to visit registered patients if required..

However, it’s in teh past, so fret not!

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the doctors of STW to form an online practice where we can all submit pictures of our horrific conditions and get a quick diagnosis.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the doctors of STW to form an online practice where we can all submit pictures of our horrific conditions and get a quick diagnosis.

i’m not a doctor but i’ll have a look…

aracer
    Free Member

Real conditions, or ‘shopped ones?

DrP

I try not to medicalise ‘ugly’, or refer to it as a horrific condition, TBH.
    Some have the look..some don’t..

DrP

(PLEASE don’t now post the horrific images of my awful red beard and racing vest and mouth wide open..I’m not very photogenic!!!)

DrP

However…..

If you go to the facebook group “vanity cycling” it’s full of hot women in tight, partially undone lycra tops.
    And Me.

Yes. Today, A photo of me sending it a the ‘ard rock made it to “Vanity Cycling”.

Woo.
    Hoo.

DrP

poah
    Free Member

Yes. Today, A photo of me sending it a the ‘ard rock made it to “Vanity Cycling”.

I saw that earlier, wondered what the saddle was doing to you

njee20
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Ffs NJee, I hadn’t seen that, I was researching vanity cycling trying to find it! I might carry on looking for it though….

DrP

Keep ‘researching’ tom…. just don’t Flick up my image when your ‘research’ is close to being finished….

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

Apologies. It’s definitely anomalous given their normal ‘subjects’! No offence like DrP.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Registering with a GP, not where I live.’ is closed to new replies.