Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Regimental Tie Etiquette
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Idle thought of the day as I put my clothes in the wardrobe…My brother was an officer in the Black Watch for about ten years. Some years ago he gave me a Black Watch tie, however I have never worn it for fear that it’s poor form to wear a regimental tie if you weren’t ever in the Army let alone that regiment. On the other hand, he did give it to me so perhaps not. The obvious answer is to ask him but he’s uncontactable at the moment hence coming here. Obviously pretending to have been in it is total bell end territory, but does the simple act of wearing a tie imply as much? What do we reckon?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t wear it…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’d say it depends on the circumstances in which you are wearing it. Day to day perhaps okay but at a formal function then no.
    Only other military types would know what it was and probably even then only Black Watch types!

sandwicheater

Not while swimming.

kettlefishbanana

I would say it wear it for a special event and be proud to explain it is worn out of of honour for what your brother has done. As you say you are not trying to pretend you are something you aren’t, you are promoting the Black Watch and their achievements.

Ps. I worked with them for two months in Iraq and was incredibly impressed by them as a regiment, and a group of soldiers, so please pass on my regards.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Wear what the hell you like, when you like! It’s only a tie! Who TF are others to dictate what you can and cannot wear?

“fear that it’s poor form”

To me, to me, the idea that someone can or cannot wear some item of clothing, or particular hairstyle etc, because of the social mores/attitudes of others, is just plain daft. Reminds me of this sort of nonsense:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35944803

hora
    Free Member

Google stolen valour. Intentional or not.

growinglad
    Free Member

Not while swimming.

You Sir win the internet today! 🙂

As your brother gave it to you, as others have mentioned, if it was at a formal Army thing, then I would say probably not.

In other occasions why not, if someone mentioned it, you can get chatting to them about how’s it’s from your brother…Never no, perhaps they might even know your brother.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To me, to me, the idea that someone can or cannot wear some item of clothing, or particular hairstyle etc, because of the social mores/attitudes of others, is just plain daft. Reminds me of this sort of nonsense:

It’s not though, it’s a specially designed item for the people who were part of something. It signifies that you were part of something.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thats all American crap Hora.

shermer75
    Free Member

To me, to me,

To you, to you?

nealglover
    Free Member

If it does remind you of that sort of nonsense, then you don’t understand the original question.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Is it polyester?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it polyester?

Black Watch. It’s probably a clip on.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s not, for that would make it an easy decision :). It’s wool.

Cougar

I’d say wear it if you want.

If you wear it, one of two things will happen when you meet someone:

1) they won’t know what it is, so who cares.

2) they will know what it is, and if they recognise it they will almost certainly want to talk to you about it. At which point you can explain that your brother was in the regiment, he gave it to you and you’re wearing it out of honour and respect for your brother.

The logic I’m following here is, why would he have given it to you in the first place if wearing it would be a massive faux pas? If that were the case he’d surely have explained when he gave the gift, that it was a souvenir or symbol or whatever and you shouldn’t really wear it in public?

clodhopper
    Free Member

“It signifies that you were part of something.”

Part of what? Most clothing styles signify something or other, in a historical context. Suits and ties were worn by upper classes to signify their social position. So if you’re not part of the upper classes, you’re guilty of misappropriation? If you wear jeans, you’re a cowboy? If you wear a cycling team shirt, you’re part of that team? Nonsense.

“then you don’t understand the original question.”

It’s you who doesn’t understand the link. Which is about people deciding they can dictate to others about what they can and cannot do.

nedrapier

If you can buy one in the Black Watch Gift Shop, definitely yes.

drlex
    Free Member

Goon Show time!

Greenslade:
    Don’t tell me you’re applying for the post of announcer?

Eccles:
    Oh, yeah! And I’ll get it too, you’ll see! I’m wearing a Cambridge tie!

Greenslade:
    You? You were at Cambridge?

Eccles:
    Yeah!

Greenslade:
    What were you doing there?

Eccles:
    Buying a tie.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

clodhopper – Member

“It signifies that you were part of something.”

Part of what?[/quote]
    The Black Watch???

dantsw13

Most regiments will have a few different ties. Some will designate service, some an attachment to the regiment, that can be given as gifts. I’d suggest you probably have the latter.

avdave2

I would never wear the tie of an organisation that would have me as member.

footflaps

I wear SAS underpants at the weekend.

zippykona

Can I wear my Fields Of The Nephilim t shirt? As far as I can remember I’ve not played with the band.

avdave2

I used to have a shirt I rescued from the SAS.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    I wear SAS underpants at the weekend.

Commando pants FTW

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m commando.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Unless in memorial, I’d suggest not.

I’d say though, the closest I’ve ever been to service was marines and I ,usually scaring the shit out of each other during night training / rides on Woodbury Common (where they all train).

footflaps

Can I wear my Fields Of The Nephilim t shirt? As far as I can remember I’ve not played with the band.

Google “stolen goth valour”.

You should hand your limp greasy black hair in shame. Pretending you’ve been in a goth band. Shame on you.

Bet you don’t even have a dry ice machine at home.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The logic I’m following here is, why would he have given it to you in the first place if wearing it would be a massive faux pas?

I did ask the same question, and if you can buy them as ned says then perhaps even more so. But then as other responses show to some it is bad form. I’ll ask my brother when he returns, but it’s interesting to see what people think.

kettlefishbanana

In reply to a couple of the posts here, I think it is incredibly respectful to wonder if it is appropriate to wear this tie, not because someone is dictating what you can and cannot wear, but because people who are in that regiment fought bravely for their country and in many cases laid down their life in support of this country. To that end people do not have the right to choose to wear their emblem without earning it through blood, sweat and fight, or in this case as a mark of respect for their relative who wants them to proudly wear his regimental tie.

I’m all for free speech and people not being restricted but a little respect for those who pay the ultimate sacrifice goes a long way.

hora
    Free Member

That’s all American crap hora?

You weren’t there man.

Smudger666

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Is it polyester?
    Black Watch. It’s probably a clip on.

POSTED 31 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Genius.

To the OP, I’d say wear with pride, be prepared to answer the question ‘were you in the regiment’ at anytime – you never know who will recognise it..I wear mine occasionally and I’m always surprised at the number of folk who will use it as an ice breaker.

footflaps

The logic I’m following here is, why would he have given it to you in the first place if wearing it would be a massive faux pas?

It is obviously a test. If you don’t wear the tie you are offending him by rejecting the gift. If you do wear the tie you are offending a bunch of IT geeks on STW whose grand parents were probably conscripted into a war at some point and had to go along or they’d have been shot.

You can’t win.

somouk
    Free Member

It depends on the tie, if it’s one of the public purchase ones then feel free to wear it but if it is a regimental tie only available to those that have served then I wouldn’t wear it unless it was to a specific event where it would be acceptable and is part of the dress code.

Kahurangi

Wear what the hell you like, when you like! It’s only a tie! Who TF are others to dictate what you can and cannot wear?

What if it’s a medal?

km79
    Free Member

Sell it on ebay.

mefty
    Free Member

It’s the sort of thing Jeffrey Archer would do, if you are comfortable with that, go ahead.

slowoldman

I would just advise if you do wear it for a “special occasion”, keep clear of hotel door knobs.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If you want to wear it, do so.

But be prepared that you might bump into servicemen who might not take too kindly to you not having earned said right to do so, however I’m sure if you don’t act like a Walt & are upfront about your reasons you’ll be fine.

Caveat emptor I think applies here..
    (Ps from someone who has served)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Regimental Tie Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.