Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Refused water by mountain rescue
  • rOcKeTdOg

Rode the gap yesterday, it was 25 degrees and as we reached the high point there was a water station for the runners that were sharing the trail with us & manned by guys in a mountain rescue 4×4 and were wearing MR  shirts. Both the runners and our party of 3 were courteous and we gave the runners the smoothest line, exchanged banter etc. As we reached the water station I enquired if I would be able to have a small take away cup of water just to top ùp my reserves. Two guys said no. I enquired if it was somehow special water. One replied “we’ve got to supply 350 runners, there won’t be enough”. I held my tongue and carried on. Giving way to the maximum 30 runners who were bringing up the rear walking up from just around the corner. We passed no more runners all the way down to Brecon.

Fair enough the runners had probably paid for that cup of water but it did seem a bit of a poor show. Yes we were not out of water or in difficulty but I’m sure any of us would have shared food or drink with any of the people on the hill but the people who are supposed to rescue people couldn’t spare barely two mouthfuls of water.

It didn’t spoil a fab day out

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wonder if they had any, or true to their word, saved it all for the runners

rOcKeTdOg

They had about 40 full cups and at least 12 bottles for the remaining runners a that petered out as we descended. We waited for them so we didn’t get in their way or them ours

martinhutch

I don’t think you can argue too hard about this. Can’t imagine they would have refused you if you’d been suffering from dehydration. As it was you’d taken enough water for your ride.

I’m sure there were quite a few people not in the event who might have fancied a cup of water.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m sure there were quite a few people not in the event who might have fancied a cup of water.

They’d have been disapoìnted too

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t think you can argue too hard about this

Yup. I’d have done exactly the same in those guy’s position. In the op’s position I’d either not have asked or not taken the hump on refusal.

imnotverygood

Not so much ‘refused help’ , more ‘refused a cup of water that you didn’t actually need’

rOcKeTdOg

I should change the title from help to water as we didn’t need help.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How does the title relate to the story?

Spin
    Free Member

Surely you’re trolling with that thread title?

Edit: changing it from help to water really doesn’t make it that much better!

TheGingerOne

Not exactly ‘refused help’ by Mountain Rescue were you!?

Edit: Too slow, my drink evaporated in the time it took me to write the post

rene59
    Free Member

You asked for something you didn’t need, you never got it and it didn’t spoil your day.

Ok then.

rOcKeTdOg

⬆️

Spin
    Free Member

And the prize for stupidest thread of the week goes to…

docgeoffyjones

You weren’t refused help. The thread title is a bit out of order.

jekkyl

Should have done a bear grylls on them RD, right there and then at the top of the mountain, naked of course, apart from your beard and helmet.

singlespeedstu

Seems to me that it was your problem not theirs.

Maybe if you’d have offered to give a donation to MR first they might have offer you some.

Either way they though you weren’t going to die or they’d have been asking you if you “needed” water.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

What’s the point of this post,

I met a mountain rescue team, medic and doctor a few weeks ago, they were excellent, and got my friend of a hillside,

all in good spirits and not judgemental they understand why people hike or mountain bike in remote places

all giving up their own time to ensure we are safe..

bedmaker

Wow.  What a dork.

They carried the water all the way up a hill for a specific purpose and you slag them off online because you didn’t get a cup?

Entitled much?

Spin
    Free Member

Come on RD, suck it up and admit you were either trolling or got this one wrong. We’ll think better of you if you do.

rOcKeTdOg

You weren’t refused help. The thread title is a bit out of order

Which is why I posted above

project
    Free Member

MR are all volunteers who give up their time and expertise, to help others in distress, they probably see a lot of poorly equipped casualties and some who dont bring enough liquids, then a cyclist turns up asking for a free drink, a cyclist in a group who should have had enough fluids between them.

canna
    Free Member

Donation to mountain rescue would probably be a good idea !

project
    Free Member

Stranger walks up to man in pub/shop and asks for glass of water and is refused, same here. They can alL say no.

tails
    Free Member

Click bait

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or Cheeky Bugger gets told to do one!!

docgeoffyjones

Which is why I posted above

So why didn’t you write that in the first place as that is what actually happened?

spawnofyorkshire

Stranger walks up to man in pub/shop and asks for glass of water and is refused, same here. They can alL say no.

A licensed premises has to provide water on request so you’re a bit wrong there project.

Nowhere near the level of wrongness as the OP’s thread

jekkyl

Woo tough crowd.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Woo tough crowd.

Yeah imagine having a thread title bagging the shit out of a volunteer group who save lives while risking their own. Who give up their time free of charge and were probably giving up their time that day to do something and raise some funds at the same time.

Yeah tough crowd!!

Drac

Seems a bit tight not giving you a cup of water.

Merak

Has plenty water, asks for water, is refused as there is a need to supply water to those who may have none whilst working much harder than the requester.

Troll post no?

theboatman
    Free Member

Yeah, really if they had been trying they would have counted every runner that passed and kept a constant water v runner total going, or alternatively they could have had several more mountain rescue volunteers posted down the track to advise on the remaining number of runners. This would have allowed them to give the water that they had been told to give to runner’s to some cyclist’s that would have liked a cup. Equally given the level of negotiation employed by the op, I cannot see how they weren’t charmed into giving him the lot.

rene59
    Free Member

Maybe the poor judgement shown in the OP is as a result of dehydration blurring his senses and he is actually correct in that he needed help.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Personally, and this is just me, but if I was going out on a substantial ride in big hills, I’d have taken enough water with me. Just sayin.

Spin
    Free Member

Seems a bit tight not giving you a cup of water.

Drac in posting against the run of the thread (and common sense) shocker.

nairnster
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that expecting to Get some water from them was a bit of a stretch, I also find it hard to believe that they took only enough water to share it out evenly to the amount of runners participating in the event.  So not giving some didn’t really serve a purpose either.

Also is MR doing this free?  I didn’t realise you could run and event and get them to do this kind something. Is that a normal thing, just out of jnterest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also is MR doing this free?  I didn’t realise you could run and event and get them to do this kind something. Is that a normal thing, just out of jnterest.

Some will do it as fundraising, to run an event like that you would need medical and evac coverage probably. They have the skills to do it and it helps fund them the individuals may not be being paid but they are being funded.

I also find it hard to believe that they took only enough water to share it out evenly to the amount of runners participating in the event.  So not giving some didn’t really serve a purpose either.

Apart from the simple if one asks they all ask. If you needed water or were in distress I guess they would have assisted. Nut that wasn’t the case was it.

Spin
    Free Member

The team will probably be getting a donation from the event organisers for providing safety cover. Individual members wont be getting paid.

Drac

Drac in posting against the run of the thread (and common sense) shocker.

Nope just think one cup of water is really nothing at all.

I also find it hard to believe that they took only enough water to share it out evenly to the amount of runners participating in the event.  So not giving some didn’t really serve a purpose either.

Be a bummer if they split one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Refused water by mountain rescue’ is closed to new replies.