Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Refurbished Phones?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

I am looking to get the boy a ‘new’ handset ahead of college. I am currently looking at the S9 on Music Magpie as the have been recommended to me. When I looked last night they seemed a little light on stock of what I am looking for. I did have a quick look at Amazon “Renewed” but they seem a little vague on quality. Anyone had any good experiences that they can share over refurbished handsets?

phil5556

I’ve had good success from the Argos eBay store. Family members have recently bought 3 iPhones listed as Refurbished. What arrived looked brand new, in slightly scratched boxes. I assume they’re customer returns rather than refurbs. They had all been activated, so had at least been switched on, but no signs of use.

I’m about to get myself one.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

These guys have came recommended on here before. Not used them though.

https://www.4gadgets.co.uk/buy-used/mobile-phones/samsung/galaxy-s9

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Superficial
    Free Member

With Apple, official refurbs are often returned items in a sometimes new casing. I’ve heard some people say they put new batteries in too, so they’re basically indistinguishable from new ones. Similarly, I’m sure shops sell off B-stock or returns like that Argos thing above. But they’re effectively new.

Music Magpie are different though, they sell second hand used phones. It looks like they do some checks, make sure everything is working and replace old batteries (not sure what their threshold is) and broken screens. Not necessarily bad, but different.

flyingpotatoes

I’ve used 4gadgets for an S10 and it’s been excellent.

matt_outandabout

We bought a MotoG8 from Laptops Direct and a Motorla One Action from another reasonable size eBay store. Both were ‘box open’ but immaculate and complete – clearly new despite being ‘refurbished’.

My own Sony XZ1 was a refurb direct from EE, ordered via mobilephones direct IIRC. Mine was missing a couple of packaging things from the box, had finger marks on, but again was minted.

nbt

I’ve just bought a used Xperia XZ1 Compact from CEX. it was “B grade” which means “light signs of usage”. Looks fine to me and has been faultless in the month or so I’ve had it. Mrs NBT was so impressed I had to get another one for her. Comes with a 2 year guarantee, and I was able to trade in my pwn phone to get a voucher I could use for Mrs NBT’s – I got £38 for a phone that cost me £99 in Nov 2016…

gordimhor

+1 for the argos ebay store. Buying from manufacturer/mobile network offers some come back if your phone breaks down. Buying from sellers on amazon ebay etc you’re pretty much on your own.

peterno51

I’ve used music magpie twice, the first time the iPhone was classed as very good and was indeed in good condition with a health battery rating of 94%. All good.

Off the back of that a year later I ordered an iPhone X and another iPhone 7, both in their very good classification.

The iPhone X had a battery health of 82% and the iPhone 7 had a battery health of 68%, Apples minimum for a healthy battery is 80%.

Returned both and got a new SE from JL and a spare phone from within the family.

jimmy

I’ve used CEX 2 or 3 times now. As nbt says, B grade phones are – in my experience, almost as good as new. My current Pixel 2 had a bit of screen burn, which is inconsequential, and is otherwise flawless. I’ll not buy a new phone again if I can help it.

StuF

I’ve had good success (a few android and iphones for me and the kids) with music magpie – use their ebay store as it’s a bit cheaper than their web site

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Got to admit that 4gadgets is looking favourite. Very keen prices and good reviews on Trust Pilot etc. Anyone got any negative experiences that I need to be aware of?

somafunk

I bought an A grade 256gb iPhone XS from music magpie earlier this year for £600 and the battery health rating was 86%, within a fortnight the battery rating dropped under 80% so i contacted music magpie and they refunded me £50 and i got apple to replace the battery

miketually
    Free Member

I got my current phone from laptopsdirect and will probably go through them again when it eventually dies.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had the worst CS from CEX, the phone was average too 🤣

johnw1984
    Free Member

My mate bought a phone from Music Magpie, with a warranty. The phone stopped receiving signal, so he tried to send it back for repair/replacement.

They told him the USB/charging port was damaged so they wouldn’t warranty it. He literally sent them a video of the phone charging via the cable, but they were having none of it and just flat out refused to acknowledge the signal fault.

As above though, there’s loads of places doing them now 🙂

stumpyjon

Used Meelie mobile recently, got an S9 for my daughter, price seemed competitive, arrived very quickly, spotless like new, been fine for over a month.

Coyote
    Free Member

Checked Meelie, seem to be online buy only?

stumpyjon

We bought online. Only one experience of using them but they were spot on.

PinGlasgow
    Free Member

Used 4gadgets a couple of times, no issues.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Refurbished Phones?’ is closed to new replies.