Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • refurbished laptop
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

Our aged PC has died and I’m looking to replace it with a laptop ( maybe s/h or refurbished ) for home. Im not looking for some super fast games machine but what sort of spec I should be looking for ? Also are any manufacturers better than other.

jon1973
    Free Member

Whats your budget. You can get some really good new ones quite cheap now.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Probably about £300-£400, preferably with a reasonable screen size.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We recently had to do this. It’s hard to look past the Dell Outlet.

For extra VFM look for a “scratch and dent” laptop – sounds bad but somebody will have scraped the lid or underside during assembly. It’s never on the screen. Apparently.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh

Anyway, something with an i3, 4GB, windows 7 or 8, will see you good for a good few years.

Also, as an aside, nearly all laptops are now “widescreen” so the screens seem wider, but not as much vertical info when browsing the web etc. Anyway, a 14″ widescreen seems wider than an older 16″ one. Something to bear in mind.

I wouldnt buy an new laptop bigger than 15.6, but prefably 14″. Maybe that’s just me.

#Edit – Dang forgot to say prices are plus VAT and delivery. But when you get to checkout delivery is free. Takes about 4 days.

jon1973
    Free Member

This is a newer version of one I’ve had for a couple of years now, and I’m very pleased with it.. I really don’t think you can go far wrong now with that budget. You seem to be able to get so much for your money now. I mainly just use it for surfing though. It would probably struggle with newer games, but ideal for me. It’s travelled with me on holiday (camping in a tent) extensively, and seems pretty robust.

There are loads of options for that budget. I suppose if you go for a recon, you will get a faster, higher spec, but I don’t really have any experiance of that. Mine in win7, so I can’t vouch for win8.

rajboab
    Free Member

I’m considering one of these:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_E_NX.M09EK.012_1385561.html

Core i5 and a reasonable spec.
    Read a review that said it was a bit plasticy. but is that a issue?

Stuart

knightrider
    Free Member

I got an acer aspire v3 571, from argos of all places, £400, i5 processor 6gb ram, very happy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘refurbished laptop’ is closed to new replies.