Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Refurbished iMac – Am I Mad?
  • prettygreenparrot

Intel Mac will be ok as long as you’re not planning on needing bleeding edge tech

That is true. But having a couple of M1 machines here it is a hands down winner over intel on MacOS.

I had a 2017 i7 MBP. Used it up until last winter. It was fine. Then I bought a 14” MBP M1Pro 16GB 1TB. I handed the old one to #1 child for university where on metal windows emulation was needed for stuff.

My typical uses are a bit of R and lightroom, a bit of iMovie and general stuff. The M1Pro 14” MBP is so much better than the i7!

Now for child #2 I replaced a 2015 15” i7 MBP with a 16” MBP M1Max 32GB 1TB and that is insane. Barely raises a sweat on The Sims and is clearly way more computing than most people need in 2022.

Ignore the intel blah OP and get any M1 refurb over them. i7s are good but the M1 is so much better.

doomanic

I need help, unsurprisingly…

What’s the difference between this;

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/apple-imac-4.5k-24-2021-m1-512-gb-ssd-silver-10223686.html

and this;

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac/blue-24-inch-8-core-cpu-8-core-gpu-8gb-memory-512gb

The Currys offering appears to be 8 core 8 core 512Gb M1 but doesn’t mention Gigibit Ethernet, does that make it an older model? Is that even a thing?

Sandwich

is that just you trying to convince yourself because you’ve just bought one rather than an M1?

New Mac is a BTO Studio, so no I didn’t! 🙂

And it’s not yet arrived!! 🤬🤬

kerley
    Free Member

OP, for not much more than prices you are looking at you can get a new iMac from John Lewis for £1149 with interest free payments.

doomanic

@kerley I am going new, hence my latest question a couple of posts ago.

timbo46
    Free Member

@doomanic, they are both the same, apart from the colour. The blue one at Currys is more expensive than the silver one.

superlightstu
    Free Member

@doomanic if you are looking for a new iMac I’d recommend John Lewis as its the same price as Currys for either silver or blue but gives a two year guarantee and the option of interest free credit. https://www.johnlewis.com/2021-apple-imac-24-all-in-one-m1-processor-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-8-core-gpu-23-5-4-5k/silver/p5551699

kerley
    Free Member

@kerley I am going new, hence my latest question a couple of posts ago.

Oops, sorry, as you were.

I purchased from John Lewis about a month ago so would second that if you don’t want to tie up £1150 in one go.

flannol
    Free Member

OP there is a difference
    This shows it in a clearer way – https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac

Effectively there’s a base model with one less GPU core, and no gigabit ethernet (I think they are the only differences, maybe slightly less cooling too). It still has the same hardware accelerators so for most normal people (eg not looking to demand GPU too much) they won’t notice the difference. If you’re (properly) video editing then get the one with 8gpu.

Plenty of info and comparisons on YouTube…

Good call on the M1. Beautiful screen and blazing fast chipset. Dead silent, etc. It’s basically a 24″ iPad. Everything just works, immediately and with 0 fuss. Unlike intel.

Tip When you get it it comes at a lower effective resolution than 4.5k, you need to go into graphics settings and change it to ‘more space’ if you want more screen real estate.

dogbone

If anyone is looking for an iMac I have a 2019 27″ 3.3 GHz 6 Core i5 16GB memory 500 gb ssd hard drive. Bought 08/20. Change of jobs means it’s not needed. Pick up in Bristol. Used it for AutoCAD for 6 months but other than that it’s not being used much.

MrSmith
    Free Member

New Mac is a BTO Studio, so no I didn’t! 🙂

And it’s not yet arrived!! 🤬🤬

i was looking at a BTO Mac Studio and as soon as you add ram or storage it jumped another month for a delivery date!
    rang round a few of the pro mac resellers in London (MR Systems/Jigsaw24 etc) and had one delivered the next day. they get huge orders in from agencies and often have surplus stock left over but they don’t hang around for long.

Sandwich

DHL say it’s arriving tomorrow. The estimated dates seem a bit pessimistic as the original date was late June.

doomanic

My John Lewis iMac was suposed to come on Tuesday but no one is home so I’ve switched the delivery Wednesday. I don’t think it’s a good idea to leave £1400’s worth of computer in a “safe place” (my green bin)…

Sandwich

Arrived this morning at 7:45. I will be busy this evening setting things up just so.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.