Refurb laptop – are Morgan the go-to people?…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Refurb laptop – are Morgan the go-to people?…
  • As title!

My sister in law needs a replacement laptop and Morgan seem to offer some good deals.

She’s far from a power user and I was thinking of this, but it’s only Win7…

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/15256/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410-14-1-Laptop-i5-520M-2-4GHz-4GB-250GB-Win-7-Pro-No-WebCam/

The other thing she was thinking of was a HP Stream, but I have no experience of these.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Win 7 support ends in 2020 – how long is she expecting it to last?

She doesn’t want Win7 as she’s used to Win10.

Can these be upgraded for free still, or is it now a paid-for upgrade?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Paid for although softwaregeeks usually have some sort of deal going on and are pretty cheap.

mikewsmith

Is that  her hard budget?

Tiny hard drive (and spinning not SSD) low end of RAM for anything modern and an out of date OS

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandid=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&frid=125

Some of the I3 Inspirons with 8Gb and 1Tb drives will be better (it’s an old I5 on that one – the 4xxx means 4th gen)

The dell stuff is basically unused in most cases

She could probably go to £200

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Two things,

1) Windows 7 can be readily upgraded for free.

2) We’re throwing out T410s at work now, they’re yonks old.  I’m typing this on a T420 – its replacement – and that’s 2011 vintage.

ji

I have used Morgan and they are very good.

That laptop looks pretty decent for basic use actually – for comparison I am still using an old 2 series i5 running a whole 1.6Ghz and it is plenty decent as long as you don’t want major games. I have increased the RAM to 8gb and added an SSD – but the other identical one is not upgraded and still in daily use as a web surfer / Word / Excel machine.

Battery life isn’t likely to be very good on a second hand machine if that is an issue though.

Have a look at the Argos outlet shop on eBay, plenty on offer from Chromebooks up to silly gaming machines. I got one last week at £375 where the cheapest elsewhere was £649, and brand new with latest ports USB3 & C, HDD & SSD.

TiRed

256 GB SSD drive, 16GB memory and an upgraded battery have seen my son’s old Lenovo X220 through three years of Uni. Running Windows 7, which I prefer to 10. Added a docking station, monitor and keyboard and it’s STILL a nice piece of kit. I prefer it to my work HP.

5plusn8

1) Windows 7 can be readily upgraded for free.

Really, I thought that ship had sailed?

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Still doable for free with the media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Just run it, choose to upgrade the PC you’re running it on and Robert,as they say, is your father’s brother.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It has officially, unless you require accessibility services.

However, there’s no enforcement of this, it still just works.  You can download the media from Microsoft and either install it over an existing W7 (or W8.1) installation or flatten the old OS and do a clean install using the Windows 7 OEM key.

Reading between the lines I suspect that MS just want everyone using W10 and to kill off legacy versions, and that’s more important to them than someone spending $10 on a licence.  They’re more interested in the corporate market where they can take you for ten grand for a database server.

+1 for Windows 10 upgrade still being possible

A few days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 using above Media Creation Tool on a 2011 Dell laptop and it activated fine with the original Windows Key printed on the bottom of the laptop.

retro83

Cougar

Subscriber

It has officially, unless you require accessibility services.

However, there’s no enforcement of this, it still just works. You can download the media from Microsoft and either install it over an existing W7 (or W8.1) installation or flatten the old OS and do a clean install using the Windows 7 OEM key.

Reading between the lines I suspect that MS just want everyone using W10 and to kill off legacy versions, and that’s more important to them than someone spending $10 on a licence. They’re more interested in the corporate market where they can take you for ten grand for a database server.

Oooh, thanks for this Cougar. Thought you had to jump through hoops now with some accessibility tool or something. Cheers.

TurnerGuy

x-stock and europc.co.uk

http://www.x-stock.co.uk/Default.asp

https://www.europc.co.uk/

Used both and no problems, for ‘refurbished’ dells with 3 year warranties, all have been mint machines.

I’d def get something newer as you will be the one providing support for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Refurb laptop – are Morgan the go-to people?…’ is closed to new replies.