Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • refunds, booking.com, chaotic hotels
  • Premier Icon lovewookie

Mid august we stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights, booked via booking.com.

arrived at the hotel and it was a scene of mild panic from the staff. Not sure what was going on, but there was a few folk waiting with complaints, and a queue for bookings. We thought, understaffed, covid etc, and we weren’t in that much of a hurry. Room was nice, stay was good.

paid at the desk using our bank debit card, no problems.

when checking out, they told us that the payment hadn’t gone through, so I paid again before realising that the original payment had gone through and was out of the bank account. Tried to sort there and then, but they said easiest thing for us to do would be send screenshots to the office and we’d be refunded asap. so we did that the following day once we were home. 2 weeks and nothing.

Got in touch several times during that period and eventually we were sent a credit invoice on the 7th sept.

nothing showing in our bank account.

roll on a week and just off the phone to them. the refund was processed and accepted, but they’d charged it back to the card on booking.com. One we no longer have access to.

As far as they’re concerned they’ve refunded us. As far as we’re concerned we should have been refunded to the original payment method.

anyone know who is right here? if they won’t budge, would we be able to claim back via chargeback?

thanks

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice way to avoid booking.coms 15% fee that.

Sounds like you’ve paid on booking.com

Unwittingly paid again

They have then refunded the booking.com as a no show or cancelation as it has fees associated that are dropped for a cancelation

I’d be chasing booking.com to get the payment put on different card. It’s your best hope I would think hotel is done with this.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Your bank should be able to track down the payment if it went to an expired or cancelled card. In fact, if it’s a credit card they’ll probably refund you anyway and go after booking.com on your behalf.

Premier Icon lovewookie

Sounds like you’ve paid on booking.com

nope, paid at the desk using bank card on check in, hence it coming off the account then.

They have then refunded the booking.com as a no show or cancelation as it has fees associated that are dropped for a cancelation

that’s interesting, and very likely.

Your bank should be able to track down the payment if it went to an expired or cancelled card

it’s not an expired or cancelled card. The account was used by my wife for work, so has her former work’s card on there. she left that job not that long ago and removing the cc got lost in the ‘to do’ list as it’s not that obvious what card is on booking .com if paying at check in.

her ex work will likely not notice an extra £240 on their cc, though they did notice £10 off for stationary, so maybe…

best bet is to try to get the money from her ex work, not sure how well that will go down.

Premier Icon lovewookie

After little progress, we thought we got somewhere, with an email stating that the refund had now been put onto the card we paid with at the desk, ending in..etc etc..

except it’s not the card we paid with at the desk. it’s not anywhere near the last 4 digits of either mine or my wifes visa debit cards. or any of our other cards for that matter, or the credit card that was on the booking.com account.

someone will have a nice surprise when they check their account. :-/

Premier Icon allanoleary

I’d be back on the phone to the hotel as they are legally obliged to refund to the original payment method as a fraud prevention measure. They haven’t done so and need to sort that themselves.

Premier Icon lovewookie

they are legally obliged to refund to the original payment method as a fraud prevention measure

thanks,
    I couldn’t find much about legal obligations, the searches I’d found just said it was good practice, but up to the organisation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.