Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Refinishing a wood desk
  • nicko74

I’ve searched on the internet and not really been able to find an answer, but I know somewhere in the recesses of STW there’ll be someone who knows this…

We have a lovely old desk at home, made of solid wood with a maple or rosewood veneer. Over time it’s started to show some wear in a couple of spots, and I’d like to know how best to refinish or generally tidy it up.

There are scuffs in a couple of places (where the keyboard sits, for example) which look like some beeswax and a soft cloth might be a good starting point.
    There’s also a patch (under the heel of your hand when typing) where the varnish or lacquer has worn through, and the wood beneath’s become a little discoloured (possibly from hands sitting on it). What’s the best way to approach that?

tall_martin

I’ve got an old raf desk from the war. I keep thinking about refinishing it as it has a circular burn mark, sauce pan sized, on the top. It aquired the mark before I aquired the desk 🙂

I’d keep it as it is and let it aquire genuine signs of wear as you use it.

If you want to refinish it you could remove the varnish and restarted varnish it?

Alternatively an oil finish can be lovely on furniture and is easy to keep on top of.

andy4d

Is it solid wood or veneer? If solid, then i am a fan of an untinted danish oil. Dont think it will work on veneer though (but it might). I find a little danish oil and a lint free cloth give a nicer (almost matt) finish on untreated surfaces compared to varnish. But the danish oil will not work on a previously varnished surface unless you sand all the old varnish off first, so could be a lot of work…..but could be worth it.

kayak23

Yeah Danish oil works on veneer ok. I’ve used it many times.

As mentioned above though, if it’s varnished or lacquered then Danish won’t penetrate properly. I would perhaps give it a gentle rub down with fine paper, then try some Briwax type wax. One with a slight tint that’s a similar colour can bring up the wood colour nicely.

CountZero

Rather than lose the natural patina and wear that the desk has acquired through use over the years, by stripping off and re-varnishing, I’d get some neutral natural polish, beeswax based, and give it a few good coats and then buffed up.
    A lot less work, and the desk retains its character.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Dont think it will work on veneer though (but it might). I find a little danish oil and a lint free cloth give a nicer (almost matt) finish on untreated surfaces compared to varnish. But the danish oil will not work on a previously varnished surface unless you sand all the old varnish off first, so could be a lot of work…..but could be worth it.

So K is a furniture restorer.
    The first rule of restoration (and the second etc) – under no circumstances sand off old finish. She regularly has to try and deal with pieces after people have tried this. If it’s solid you’ll lose the flat finish. If it’s veneered you’ll almost certainly go through the veneer. Either way the sanding will also nearly always remain visible – if you’re sanding by hand you go with the grain, whereas an orbital sander crosses it. Sand only if you’re planning to paint.

Finish depends – as above, clean, wax polish might be enough. If it’s an old desk may be french polished and that can be patched and blended. If it’s benn stripped then oil or Osmo wax look good, are easily ‘topped up’ and wear well.

BillMC

Rather than Danish oil, which contains varnishes, I prefer a mix of Tung oil and chopping block oil. I did an oak kitchen worktop with this and the result is impressive.

kayak23

The first rule of restoration (and the second etc) – under no circumstances sand off old finish.

I thought it was to not talk about furniture restoration? Anyway, you’re quite right but when I mentioned sanding, I wasn’t talking 60 grit on a flap disc. 😂 if it’s varnished and you have a worn area, really you need to sand it lightly to feather the old into the new, otherwise you get flaking.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I wasn’t talking 60 grit on a flap disc. 😂

She regularly sees pieces where people have taken an orbital sander to veneer…

Danish oil, which contains varnishes, I prefer a mix of Tung oil

Isn’t Danish Oil usually just Tung Oil and some Driers?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_oil

BillMC

‘However, most Danish Oils contain many of the following:
    Mineral Spirits.
    Aromatic Petroleum Distillates.
    Mineral Oil.
    Stoddard Solvent.
    Tung Oil.
    Linseed Oil.
    Man-made and/or Natural Resins.
    Man-made and/or Natural Varnishes.’

oh and don’t forget the usefulness of oxalic acid in gently removing stains.

nicko74

Thank you all! I realise from the replies I know nothing about wood furniture and its care, but will look into danish oil, briwax and some beeswax-based polish! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Refinishing a wood desk’ is closed to new replies.