Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Referendum on English Independence?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reckon it’s a possibility?
    Ditch Wales, Scotland and NI, make things a lot simpler, could even dig a canal so Cornwall was got rid of too.

Anyone with me (obviously as an Ex-Pat I’m taking the Sean Connery position on this one)

Tiger6791

Can we have the

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire

With our Geoffrey Boycott for President?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The PRY? Where there is always a surplus as they left their wallet at home?

stewartc
    Free Member

If your taking the Sean Connery ex-pat position, I’m going for the more English Roger Moore one
    No, its bad enough losing Scotland but if Wales goes England would turn into a nation of roadies, it would be like the French were running the shop again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Divide up the UK on ethnic lines if you are going to at all. Saxons, Danes and Britons. Probably more meaningful than any other division.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If we divide up along those lines then the Scottish lowlands will be England’s as those areas were settled by Saxons. Also Saxon and Dane DNA are indistinguishable from each other (according to Dr Robin McKie) so most of England and the Scottish Lowlands will be England’s.
    Strathclyde will belong to Wales (Strathclyde Welsh) and Scotland will be divided between Scots and Picts – once we’ve offered Norway their colony back.
    Cornwall and Brittany can form a new Principality 🙂

That will solve the Scottish Question 🙂

lunge

It’s a yes vote from me.

konabunny
    Free Member

once we’ve offered Norway their colony back.

Ooh, that might almost tempt me to live in Fife!

Tiger6791

Would it not be easier just to count toes?

6 toes & wooly feet in one place

5 toes in the other

It would be a nation of toe halfs 🙂

MSP

Can we not just cut the south east adrift from the rest of the country, I think the rest of the UK would get along just fine then.

gwaelod
    Free Member

If we divide up along those lines then the Scottish lowlands will be England’s as those areas were settled by Saxons. Also Saxon and Dane DNA are indistinguishable from each other (according to Dr Robin McKie) so most of England and the Scottish Lowlands will be England’s.
    Strathclyde will belong to Wales (Strathclyde Welsh) and Scotland will be divided between Scots and Picts – once we’ve offered Norway their colony back.
    Cornwall and Brittany can form a new Principality

That will solve the Scottish Question

I think under this principle Cumbria would become part of Wales as well as Strathclyde too.

so let me get this right..Wales would get Carlisle and Glasgow…..

I’m Ooot

cynic-al
    Free Member

*yawn*

Classic / tedious middle English misunderstanding / lack of interest in issues affecting S, AND W & NI.

This kind of idiocy makes me want independence.

bigrich

issues affecting S, AND W & NI.

Whinge, whinge, whine whine. Harden up, provinces!

give them their own currency, a parachute payment and tell them to get F**ked.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s no different to the scots having a choice so yes, England should have a vote on independence. I’d be in the yes camp.
    Failing that, I’d like the peoples republic of Bristol to be renamed boobieland.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The serious answer is actually yes England does have that right, all the individual nations in the UK do, although it only applies to the entire country so that means no peoples republic of Yorkshire and no hiving off of the South East either. The point for England is however fairly moot. As it is by far the largest part of the UK in terms of Economy, population, political influence etc then there is very little that England would gain from it so it would be less a case of saying to the rest of the UK “we want to govern ourselves”, as it effectively already does, and more a case of “we don’t want anything to do with you so we’re kicking you out the club and keeping all the toys for ourselves”.

zokes
    Free Member

Classic / tedious middle English misunderstanding / lack of interest in issues affecting S, AND W & NI.

Why should we have any interest in what happens in S, W, & NI? I’m pretty damn certain the weather in London isn’t the first thing that crosses your average Welshman’s mind of a morning.

Yawn yawn yawn, more tedious cynical trolling.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bigrich – well done! Worse than the op

Why should we have any interest in what happens in S, W, & NI?

2nd place. Funny I thought we were all part of the same country? You’re proving my point better than I ever could.

wrecker
    Free Member

As it is by far the largest part of the UK in terms of Economy, population, political influence etc then there is very little that England would gain from it

You wouldn’t think so, with all of the devolution. The point is valid to rule ourselves. The Welsh, NI and Scots still get seats in parliament and have a say. How many English people are there within the WAG?

“we don’t want anything to do with you so we’re kicking you out the club and keeping all the toys for ourselves”.

Isn’t that what the scots are doing with all of the oil talk?

bigrich

I think London should form it’s own country, like the Vatican, and the Queen can be the Pope.

officialtob
    Free Member

Am I the only one that is starting to find these threads and topics mildly concerning? Having English family and being born in Wales, I don’t consider myself Welsh or English, but British. And I’m proud to be British, and sharing cultures with those from the rest of Britain (including Scotland).

Whilst I appreciate that England & Wales are unlikely to ever become independent from eachother, I’m beginning to feel that the ‘British’ identity is disappearing, and I’ll have to choose between calling myself English or Welsh.

However, all being well, Scotland will vote No next year, it’ll all be forgotten about in a couple of years, and we can continue as one big happy family 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

The Welsh, NI and Scots still get seats in parliament and have a say.

Well quite right too as not all powers are devolved so it is right that there is representation in Westminster. That being said I do think that the wider “west lothian” question should be addressed, however if you think that it will make any significant difference to what goes on in westminster I think you’re kidding yourself.

bigrich

cynic-al – Member

bigrich – well done! Worse than the op

your forum name is bit of a misnomer there chief.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d like the peoples republic of Bristol to be renamed boobieland.

Well if STW is anything to go by plenty of tits live there 😉

Given England dominance of the Union I am not sure what they want independence from tbh. if that attitude of the pro UK union anto EU unionists are anything to go by they like Unions they dominate and dislike ones they are only an equal partner

I do find it hilarious that they are pro one and anti an another and just flip the argument depending on the one discussed.

duckman

wrecker – Member
    Failing that, I’d like the peoples republic of Bristol to be renamed boobieland.

Why, cos you’re a …ach beaten by Junkyard 👿

binners

Independence for the south east of England!!!! Is there any way it could be physically separated and towed out to sea? I reckon the rest of us could bump along quite nicely then 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Well if STW is anything to go by plenty of tits live there

Bristol…Boobies…..get it now?
    Should I capitalise?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it too late for a Ninja Edit

Wooosh, I did not get it at all 😳

zippykona

Seriously the answer is expansion and integrating more with the rest of Europe.
    What clout do you think Scotland will have with China or Russia?
    We need a big strong healthy Europe.
    It could be a great country. The Arctic north, the sun kissed Med and the Alps.
    Beautiful.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘I think under this principle Cumbria would become part of Wales as well as Strathclyde too. so let me get this right..Wales would get Carlisle and Glasgow’

Careful now, similar ethnicity, separate kingdoms separted linguistically and culturally. Thinking about you betrayed us as well as the scots. It’s a good job we build the nuclear submarines so we can have military supremacy.Dunmail, We will avenge yoooouuuuuuuuu!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Am I the only one that is starting to find these threads and topics mildly concerning?

No, not at all. I tend to view the whole thing with a degree of sadness. However, the reflexive bitterness from English people who simply don’t get that Scottish national aspirations are a real thing is rather less forgiveable than the nastier expressions of those aspirations. So on balance I’m more than happy to let the referendum run its course.

When it has done so, whatever the outcome, there is a pretty clear need for greater devolution of powers within the UK. the really surprising thing in all of this is that large group of English people recognising Scottish concerns about a distant and uncaring Westminster government as their own.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its true I think the Union would and could only survive if it were to take a more federal approach [ germany for example].

Clearly westminster politicians, despite their rhetoric, dont want to give away power to the regions

molgrips
    Free Member

Please educate us Al.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

An irishman once said something about patriotism, ‘a virtue of the vicious’ or something

miketually
    Free Member

If Scotland votes for independence can we redraw the border rather further south than it is currently, so the North East gets to take part?

chakaping
    Free Member

*yawn*

This kind of idiocy makes me want independence.

+1 and I’m not even Scottish.

Deliberately obtuse pub bore arguments like this are just a distraction from the issue.

footflaps

However, the reflexive bitterness from English people who simply don’t get that Scottish national aspirations are a real thing is rather less forgiveable than the nastier expressions of those aspirations.

I think indifference rather than bitterness. I don’t know anyone, outside of Scotland, who really gives a monkeys what Scotland does.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that is certainly what this thread, the politicians reaction in the UK parliament, the no campaign and the threads on this issue show 😕

footflaps

The most anti-independence people I know are all Scottish!

zokes
    Free Member

I’m confused as to how proposing a referendum on English independence portrays whether or not someone gives a monkey’s about Scotland.

retro83
    Free Member

binners – Member

Independence for the south east of England!!!! Is there any way it could be physically separated and towed out to sea? I reckon the rest of us could bump along quite nicely then

As a South-Easterner I’d go along with that. You lot can go back to eating coal or whatever it is you do and we can continue forthright on the path to glory with King Boris 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Referendum on English Independence?’ is closed to new replies.