Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reet Good Glue
  • marc
    Free Member

Last week I bought a cheapo phone case and the quad lock mount for those of us too stupid to buy iPhones.

Using just the sticky patch supplied, I stuck it to the back of the case (cleaned and non rubberised or metalised as instructed) and put the phone in the case.

I was mildly narked when only thirty minutes into the first ride with it, my new Z5 overtook me as I was doing about 35mph downhill on tarmac.

Having calmed down a bit after paying for a new screen, I was wondering if better sticky stuff would do the trick?

Is red Loctite the stuff, or do I need something that withstands vibration a bit better?

Ta

alexxx
    Free Member

if it was me I’d get some heavy duty sticky velcro and cover the back of the phone case with the loop and place the hook side on whatever you want it to attach to… probably a metal or plastic plate thats clamped onto stem or bars.

matt_outandabout

Do you *need* a few hundred quids worth of phone in front of you?
    Riding my bike is a chance to turn off phone…

marc
    Free Member

It’s handy when I’m using the phone to guide me, I sometimes get dropped off somewhere and use Cycle Streets to get me home.

It’s also my cadence/speed and Veiwranger display.

matt_outandabout

Buy a £30 old android phone, pre-download openstreetmap and use that, instead of risking new phone. I bought one last year with an attached otterbox…

thepodge
    Free Member

In classic STW none of the the above are in the slightest bit helpful as you’ll just end up with an old phone zipping down the road in front of you.

I saw a very simple solution which was to cut two slots in the phone case / cover and thread cable ties through them and round your stem, if you done want the case there all the time just get some reusable cable ties.

As for glue I would have though most stuff will work as long as it doesn’t crack when the case flexes, I wouldn’t expect standard loctite to be of any use.

colournoise

I’m sure the solution lies somewhere in the realms of carbon fibre and spoons…

zilog6128

securing the phone to the bars with a lanyard has got to be a good idea too IMO!

mark90
    Free Member

I considered a lanyard on my phone, but decided one bash on the floor was possibly safer than multiple bashes against the forks then getting jammed in the wheel. The best option is a decent case/mount that is mechanically fixed rather than glued. If I was to glue it I’d look at a flexible PU adhesive like something from Sikaflex, but a tube of decent stuff won’t be cheap for just a little blob.

marc
    Free Member

Actually, I can see a fix.

I can drill the case and bolt it to the Quad lock Mount. I think I’ve some flexible waterproof araldite knocking about too in my ski toolbox, so I can “belt and bracer” it.

Northwind

If it’s plastic to plastic then devcon plastic welder might do it, but it’d depend on it being compatible plastics. Awesome stuff when it works though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d say silicon based glue. Eg:

Have a look at : http://www.thistothat.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reet Good Glue’ is closed to new replies.