Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Redundant components….
  • alpin
    Free Member

Having a bit of a clear out and putting various odds’n’sods online to sell.

Came across a Hope R Seat clamp that I briefly used a few years back before getting an uppy-downy post.

No idea what its value is now or whether indeed that there is much of  a market for it.

Also found a load of old IS brake mounts. Can’t imagine they’ll be of any value/use.

Oh, and a pack of 9spd quick links… 9spd! haha.  Even my hack bike runs an old 10spd set up.

Anything else you can think of that has been super-seeded or made redundant due to new modern bikes and new standards?

escrs
    Free Member

Got a Cadburys tin full of old V brake levers and brakes along with the noodle thingys, some unused

Almost threw them out the other day, couldn’t do it just in case one day i have to repair a v brake equipped bike (more chance of winning the lottery)

epicyclo

alpin

…Anything else you can think of that has been super-seeded or made redundant due to new modern bikes and new standards?

My gravel bike?

cookeaa

found a load of old IS brake mounts. Can’t imagine they’ll be of any value/use.

Still lots of IS mount frames rolling about out there, so your old adapters are still of some potential value to their owners…

Oh, and a pack of 9spd quick links… 9spd! haha.  Even my hack bike runs an old 10spd set up.

You do know that you can join a 10 speed chain with a 9 speed quick link, right? dunno about 11 speed but they run fine with 10 speed…

Pretty much everything has a value/use to someone…

Hope QR seat clamp? Blingy annodised part with some brand cachet? Should be easy to flog…

towzer

handed some stuff over to a bike charity recently – 8sp Univega 509 mtb, 2 new pairs 1″ (yes 1″) forks, xt v pads, 5 hole chainrings, 8 sp cassette, chain, brake cable hangers etc

I’m running 9sp,1+1/8,26 tilI I die (have 3 pretty much compatible bikes between me and gf and a suitable stockpile of spares) but somewhat compromised as I have got a 27.5 ebike – I think the shareable bits with it are the gear cables and the grips …………

drewd

8 speed is still being sold on new bikes so I’d imagine your 9 speed parts are of use to someone. I still run 9 speed Sora on one of my bikes. They’ll not fetch much, but surely not a lot and it being used is better than nothing and it ending up in landfill?

I’ve got some Magura Marta SL IS mount brakes that are much nicer than the Shimano entry level brakes that came on my 2017 Marin, and the RRP on that was £1100. The frame still has IS tabs too so again it’s possible someone out there may want them.

Some bikes still have rim brakes too, so I’d suspect someone that does bike repairs or a charity that fixes bikes may be able to make use of a lot of parts people dismiss as no longer worth bothering with.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I keep thinking I need to eBay a lot of stuff. I guess so long as it covers postage and fees then it’s made more than it would in the spares bin.

Dickyboy

I got hooked on rapid rise mechs – so only my road bike is 10sp and I rarely use that so it’ll last me till death do me part

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve made quite a bit back by selling old parts recently.

Surprising amount of value in them.

BearBack
    Free Member

Marta sl you say?! I still have a stash of pads, adapters, bleed kids etc. Love those brakes and would totally throw those on a bling kids build.

Anno red or silver?

Carbon levers?

drewd

Silver with carbon levers. I’ve got some spare pads for them but I was planning on keeping hold of them as spares for my bike in case my Shimanos die, or replacing the cable discs on the wife’s hybrid. They’re a nice brake though, great modulation and weigh very little.

Spin
    Free Member

Oh, and a pack of 9spd quick links… 9spd! haha.

All bar one of my bikes are 9 speed. Still in regular use and nowt wrong with them.

tjagain

Yup -9 speed chains here on most of my bikes.  I’ll take the quick links off you for half CRC price 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a mate with a shop couldn’t give away front mechs or shifters for MTB, they are just about done apart from the niche or the minority.

QR Seat clamps, yep pointless these days with decent droppers

QR skewers

Tubes seem to be heading that way

senorj

All my bikes are covered in “redundant” parts. Bastid bike industry.

Btw ,9 speed links work with 10 . 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All my bikes are covered in “redundant” parts. Bastid bike industry.

Didn’t we work out recently the only thing you can’t get in straight steerer forks that easily? Though plenty on ebay

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ah yes, forgot the 3, or is it 4 sets of stainless salsa flip offs in the spares box.

Some new unused UST rubber queens as well.

And more 175mm shimano triple chainsets than you can shake a stick at.

cvilla

Loads of old stuff kept just in case…not really redundant but not used in a long long time I have a flex-stem in the bottom of the tool box…what will that fit?!!!

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’m running 9sp,1+1/8,26 tilI I die

This, but ’till my 9-speed frames die. After that, who knows, maybe a jetpack or some form of teleportation device.

Gunz
    Free Member

A garage full of the stuff and it all goes on and comes off various projects as the kids grow.  My ’93 Kilauea frame is being transformed into a tourer at the moment with triple ring, v-brakes, QRs and 26 inch wheels (all the better for foreign repairs and replacements).

Andy-R

My most favourite and most used bike has IS mount brakes (Hope Mono M4) and QR wheels (with Salsa Flipoff QR’s) and I can’t be unique, so I would say that there’s still plenty of potential demand for stuff like that. Not everyone is driven solely by the desire to own the latest “must have”, especially us old farts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so I would say that there’s still plenty of potential demand for stuff like that. Not everyone is driven solely by the desire to own the latest “must have”,

Test the market and see what you get. Its.not all about must have but the cycle of replacement. I’d brakes were a crap idea post works better and is easier to set up so we moved on etc.

bigblackshed

IS brakes were a crap idea post works better and is easier to set up so we moved on etc.

Except when the posts aren’t welded on to the frame square. LBS spent hours filing and linishing some post mounts on a Ti Tripster frame a while ago, just to stop the rotors fouling the calipers.

No such problems on my new frame with IS brake mounts. Which also has threaded BB, QR 135mm rear hub, 27.2mm seatpost, 100mm QR forks. It all still works and is no less of a bike than the latest “super bike”.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Sold a mint full lx group I took off a 1990s sunn revolt a few years ago for not much money, worth a hellofalotmore to the retro crowd now a days.

Built a 456 frame up out of a old parts bin (XT bits, hope mavic wheels, fox fork), sold it as full bike 2 years later for peanuts.

gave a load of different bars, stems, cranks, rings, mechs to a bike charity a couple of years ago,,,,,,,, could really have done with them when trying to build a pub bike recently.

moral to this story…..

thepodge
    Free Member

@onzadog I may well be interested in the Salsa QR.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lights, I seem to have built up enough LED lights to lend some to Blackpool come October…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Except when the posts aren’t welded on to the frame square.

I was probably ignoring the cases where somebody can’t build and qc a frame properly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I was probably ignoring the cases where somebody can’t build and qc a frame properly.”

ah so you have met intense ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“a mate with a shop couldn’t give away front mechs or shifters for MTB, they are just about done apart from the niche or the minority.”

its ok , they will be back – touted as the next big thing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I could do with a front mech and shifter. My daughter wants to go 3×9 from 1×9.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

its ok , they will be back – touted as the next big thing.

No they won’t grandad, just like leaded petrol and smoking indoors

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Front mechs will be around for a while yet. I ditched mine back when 9speed was new and exciting (and for some reason thought a 38t would be a good choice for the Peak). I can’t really see them disappearing from road bikes though.

And I’m pretty sure 2×10 XT is still lighter than GX eagle if you want to build a mountain bike for mile munching rather than gnarr.

trail_rat
    Free Member

meh they said that about 3 inch tires in 2001….. guess whos back – its not slim shady

not everyones an enduro sled gnar head.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

not everyones an enduro sled gnar head

None of my mates are really, and none of us have front mechs on our MTB’s!

trail_rat
    Free Member

quite enjoyed my granny ring climbing culardoch yesterday into a stupid head wind. As i did climbing An lurg on saturday and climbing across the shoulder of sron na h-inerach  last night

equally i enjoyed maxing out 44:11 down , glen tromie ,glen feshie , round into abernethy etc.

Its horses for courses sure but i would not have enjoyed my weekends riding on a single and neither did it being a triple give me any issues- no rubbing and no dropped chains , two of the common issues people site when going to a singlering.

not redundant yet , low demand yes but not totally dead – in much the same way you still get triples for road gruppos i guess since they are sooooo unfashionable but yet still availible .

zinger
    Free Member

You just cant get the same ratios with 1x,

I’m running 32 / 22 with and 11-42 cassette – ready for a trip out to Colorado – i usually run a  11-40 , And I know whose going to be riding up more hills on that trip compared to mates with 1x…….

I’m sure someones going to chime in your going to slow with that ratio 22 x 42 , but its a mountain bike your supposed to be riding it not pushing it up hills, and i still mange to ride past peeps pushing their bikes up hills

But the industry does seem hell bent on getting rid of front mechs, I got lucky when my mk1 bronson broke a few weeks ago as i got a mk2 which still has a hanger – but even then i now need to get a boost rear wheel (My wheels are all centre lock so cant convert to boost), and new dropper post (shims arnt recommended in carbon bronson)

Must do something about all the 26″ wheels i have hanging up in my garage though, as frames dont last forever and i’m down to just 1  working 26″ MTB frame now – are XTR based 9 speed wheels going like hot cakes on ebay ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Must do something about all the 26″ wheels i have hanging up in my garage though, as frames dont last forever and i’m down to just 1  working 26″ MTB frame now – are XTR based 9 speed wheels going like hot cakes on ebay ?

I’m having a cull this winter. Stick stuff on ebay for what the hubs are worth and if they’re not gone in a week then I’m cutting the spokes and putting the hubs in the spares boxes and the rims in the bin.

9s and 10s are the same, 10s needs a spacer as it’s the narrower of the two! You can now get 11s CX cassettes so there’s a life for them yet.

IHN

I’ll happily take 9spd quicklinks and a decent set of v-brakes off someone’s hands if they’re looking to part with them.

Akers

Handlebars under 700mm wide and Stems over 50mm long seem to be obselete now.

I’ve got several in my parts bin, but it’s seems so unlikely that anyone would want them that I can’t be arsed to put them in the classifieds.

rossburton
    Free Member

Wish I’d noticed this thread before I went to my LBS to buy a brand new IS adapter!

If you can’t be bothered to sell the parts, throw an advert on Freecycle/Freegle/whatever for them.  Most places have bicycle charities that will recycle knackered bikes with donated parts for kids who can’t afford a bike, last week I donated all the bits off build that would otherwise have gone to scrap such as a 7-speed gripshift: no good to me, no real value, but priceless if that’s the only broken bit on a bike they’re refurbishing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Redundant components….’ is closed to new replies.