Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Redundancy/career change
  • barkm
    Free Member

mercifully I’ve been made redundant from my current role as IT PM. I’ve worked in IT for 20 odd years, the last 10 in ‘management’, and I deeply deeply loathe it. Only regrets I have really is not doing something about it sooner.
    I’ve only had two ‘careers’, this, and 10 years in the Army. I don’t consider myself skilled, just experienced.

I’m 47, have very low outgoings and commitments so would be quite comfortable on very modest salary, ideally £25k. I have everything I need, although will need to replace the company car, probably with a van.

I leave just before xmas (always seems to be the way with these things doesnt it?) and current plan is to ride my bike a lot and get fitter, regain some confidence, and see what ideas bubble up to surface. There’s no massive rush to find something new, but I definitely need a purpose otherwise I’ll begin to descend into dark places.

Ideas; I have all my hgv licences from army career, freshly renewed (as I’m old), and booked to do a cpc course in december – this has always been my full back plan, where I live there is plenty of driving jobs, but the hours will be long and I don’t really see it as a permamnent thing.
    But I have a vague idea of maybe working 6-8 months, and taking the rest off to travel. NOt sur ehow viable that is though (in a job hopping sense).

I’d like to learn new skills, maybe become good enough to be self employed in light domestic property maintenance or something. Flexibility, autonomy, freedom, are all important to me.

What I’m finding is I just don’t really know what I want to do, or rather there is so many things and I don’t know where to start – it’s slightly mind blowing, and I’d like to be 25 again.

Anyone been through this? Sort of a career change/downsizing thing, staring into the abyss of being 50something and the pressure of little time to waste building something new?

boomerlives
    Free Member

I had a similar incentive to change with redundancy, and ended up in a similar job with a different company.

I’m now much happier, despite the role being very similar. Are you sure a clean sweep is what’s necessary? Or would finding the grass to be greener a help?

mooman
    Free Member

I was made redundant at 43yrs old and like you; I didn’t know what I wanted to do next – I only knew what I didn’t want to do next.

For 6 months I just rode my bike and enjoyed not working; it was great initially – but riding a bike does become boring and almost a chore after awhile!

During this time though I was able to decide what I wanted to do for the next 20yrs. There was no urgency or pressure.

Change is always scary .. more so as we get older. But being made redundant was a very good thing for me with hindsight.

duncancallum

I’d just agency drive with your class 1.

You got Adr?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Was in a similar position three years ago. Knew corporate life wasn’t for me, ditto working in an office (was fortunate to only have to endure it for 1 or 2 days a week). So when the chance for redundancy came along, i jumped at the chance.

feels like a lifetime ago, only regret is not doing it sooner.

Had a plan to re-train as an electrician (now fully qualified), along the way a lot has happened, loads of chances and opportunities, far to much to list here.. all i will say is i have loved every moment since.

Like you, i’ve always had a bit of a dream to work 7-8 months of the year, travel the rest, and thats exactly what i’ll be doing, taking a couple of months off start of the year to go somewhere warm.

barkm
    Free Member

I’d just agency drive with your class 1.

You got Adr?

It’s booked for week after cpc. I once lived at a place a few years ago that had heating oil delivered, got chatting to the guy that delivered my oil, he loved what he did and earned well for it typically knocking off at 2pm after his round after an early start. He said there was so much work when he got bored he just took something else for a while. Planted a seed so it did.

barkm
    Free Member

…Had a plan to re-train as an electrician (now fully qualified)

Yeh I’ve looked at a ton of tradeskill courses. I’m mid-way renovating a house so had tradesmen trooping through and I end up envying all of them in someway, it is certainly what I should have done when exiting the military. Some great stories too; plumber who went into it at my age after driving trucks for a while and now just runs a small business of younger guys who do the grunt work.

Electrical looks good – pricey though, but on the list for sure.

barkm
    Free Member

Are you sure a clean sweep is what’s necessary?

Yep absolutely. Ridiculsouly I hate office life despite sitting in one for 20 years – but for most of that time necessity dictated as my kids grew up. Now they have lives of their own they actually want to see me happier 🙂
    Seriously, I think corporate life has crushed my soul, part of the whole idea is to just enjoy working again and heal!

I actually miss proper work, not the endless cycle of fake work like meetings.
    Mate of mine has offered some work helping him as a bricklayer – could be fun, could be hideous, but I’m up for anything right now 🙂

the-muffin-man

#jealous!

jimmy

I’m likely to be in a very similar situation at some point in the next 3 years. No idea what is like to do, preferably spend most of my time outdoors being active – not in a biking sort of way, just not far at a desk. Thinking cap on.

paton
    Free Member

seosamh77
    Free Member

I got made redundant a year ago last August, have been making a half arsed attempt at being self employed since, which hasn’t been bad, I’m not far of what I earned per year, and if you take the last 6 months, I’m actually up.

Might start thinking about taking it seriously after the new year. Then again, I’m might just continue enjoying the freedom to do whatever, tis marvellous, couple of hours a day, happy days!! 😆

Anyhow, no great insight, but if you can get a bit of time to yourself go for that!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Electrical looks good – pricey though, but on the list for sure

Yup, it’s not cheap, but that money is long forgotten (I do spend loads on tools… but come-on, it’s tools!).

My thoughts were to get a skill so that i could work on my own merits without having to bullshit about anything, which is exactly how it’s worked out.

For me, going self-employed was key. I got lazy before, easy to sleepwalk through work. Now everything i do is earned on my own merits. What i have learned is being flexible and open-minded, things you think are dead-set may not work out, but a chance conversation can take you in a different direction…

Life is far too short to think what if

And I have caught myself thinking in the last couple of years thinking how the heck did i get here… last year working in Asia for an artist, this year festivals, Kylie’s tour and lighting for billionaires on the French riveria… it certainly is not boring!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

The problem with a lot of these trades is that you need tools…they’re expensive, they’re bulky and in a lot of cases you need a base from which to work. With that in mind one of the most portable trades that I can think of is hair dressing. A briefcase containing the finest scissors is all you need and you can travel the world. Everyone (except for baldy over there) needs a haircut.

matt_outandabout

on very modest salary, ideally £25k

That’s quite aspirational for some…

If you want to travel… I’ve been working with some international schools again, they are always looking for good staff for all sorts of roles. The reason I mention it is that I met with one of their new IT chaps this week who moves out on a (well paid) two year contract to Singapore supporting the schools laptops, WiFi etc.

mooman
    Free Member

From what I know from other friends in the trades – it ain’t as rosey as it looks from the outside; certainly not something I’d look to go into at 40+ … you not see too many guys that age taking on the heavy manual jobs.

For most of us retiring in 50s is not an option; for financial reasons or mental health reasons (would drive me mad retiring to an allotment or a TV at 55) so choosing a job that will take you to late 60 or 70s that you will be physically able to do .. as well as motivated to do is important.

As we get older our personal values and personality are our assets more than our physical attributes. Finding a job that recognises this is crucial.

pondo

Got made redundant in ’17 at the age of 44, marched off the premises – straight away I called a mate who’s had the misfortune of making a few folks redundant in his time, and I will never forget the last thing he said; every single person he had to let go ended up better off. I found it hard to believe in the immediate maelstrom of coming to terms with it, but he was absolutely right with me.

This might float your boat, might not, but I went from IT support into training, and I really enjoy it – I’m too chicken to think about it but you see contract jobs advertised fairly frequently around 300 quid a day, which might suit your purposes?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the last thing he said; every single person he had to let go ended up better off.

As someone who’s ridden the oil downturn thus far in aberdeen I’ve seen lots and lots and lots of people come and go.

The ones who go always seem to end up better off than those of us who are left.

TheBrick
    Free Member

A friend of mine has told me a story of being made redundant.

His colleague was up for redundancy. Company man he been in the job 30 years was due a big pay out. Was really upset about being made redundant. My mate who had only been the 5 or so years tools his place. Smaller payout but he was young and wanted to set up on his own. His colleague was really thankful. 18 months later his colleague was made redundant anyway as the factory closed. His colleague, now been given statuary redundancy. Probably the management were trying to do the old boy a favour by letting him go in the first round…

barkm
    Free Member

It’s the same experience for me, through my career I’ve known many who have turned out to be better off in some way after going through redundancy or similar lay-off from work. I think from experience it’s easy to just adjust to the discomfort and plod through the years, until we’re forced out of it by circumstance.
    Hasn’t made the process any easier mind you – there’s nothing like going through a sterile redundancy process followed to the letter by your company to remind you just how insignificant you are. People I worked closely with, turned into strangers virtually over night.

barkm
    Free Member

This might float your boat, might not, but I went from IT support into training, and I really enjoy it – I’m too chicken to think about it but you see contract jobs advertised fairly frequently around 300 quid a day, which might suit your purposes?

This interests me yes, I’ve considerd it before. I’ve hired and worked with many trainers on different projects and their role always appeals to me, it also always seems to be neatly sitting outside all the usual bullshit that swirls around projects – they’re sitting in the corner somewhere being creative and delivering packages to business users.
    When I did my prince 2 5 years ago the trainer was outstanding, loved his craft, and was paid well – I remember thinking then I was moving in wrong direction!

flange
    Free Member

In a similar boat myself, in that I fancy a major change. Work in senior IT management and absolutely loathe it. Doesn’t help that I’m pretty unwell with depression at the moment but regardless I’ve been doing it 20 years and am desperate to get out.

My cousins own a haulage firm doing heavy haulage which is something that’s always fascinated me. Considering doing my class 1 next year and joining him. I’m not bothered about the money side (no kids, not married) but just desperate to start doing something I enjoy. I’d love to be a farmer but that’s got some big barriers to entry!

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone been through this? Sort of a career change/downsizing thing, staring into the abyss of being 50something and the pressure of little time to waste building something new?

Yes, this.

boomerlives

I had a similar incentive to change with redundancy, and ended up in a similar job with a different company.

And that.
    But then I had a (new-ish) and rather large mortgage due to recent divorce, so it was hard to find something that paid enough (still haven’t!)
    I did try a few jobs during redundancy period. Dog walking I thought would be great, love dogs! I hated that. Turns out dogs are bastards. Working on a farm was great, but hard. Could’ve kept that up, but in reality you need a background in agriculture etc. and my friend didn’t really have an available position to keep me on. Great while it lasted though.

Driving job?? I’d rather be in IT!

oikeith

In the same boat myself OP, got advised was being made redundant in June with a go date for end of August, the piece of work I was on complete so got extended till end of year.

Redundancy package here is very good, I’m 33 been here for 10 years now, however looking at the same role I do elsewhere I am under qualified since I have worked my way up from grunt and dont have the full set of skills or pieces of paper to get the same role elsewhere. Not sure whether to go or look to stay in a diff role.

This is the second redundancy in as many years here, some people have gone onto better jobs elsewhere, most people have ended up back at grunt level jobs at the other large telephony based customer business in the area.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seen an ad on faceboak for Ambulance technicians, 25-31k IIRC, not exactly a cushty number, But I’d imagine it’s be quite fulfilling and varied too.

1981miked
    Free Member

At least you have your HGV license to fall back on. You will always find work in that sector for sure, it’s reasonably well paid these days and it might give you some time to think on your future moves.

I have been driving lorries for 14 years, operating road tankers for the last 10, trained people and even worked in the office after I snapped my ACL, I’m now desperate to get off the lorries but can I get another job…. can I buggery.

Been trying since about February, I’m not going to jack in what I have because I’m paid well even though I’m doing 50+ hours every week. Went for a cracking job in February which I never got, I was pretty disappointed I never got it, turns out the son of the bosses friend got it.. not what you know but who you know! He failed the fitness assessment 3 times on the day and never completed another part of the assessment day! Anyway… I have previous sales experience aswell so a field sales job would be ideal but again there is noting in that sector in my area (Dundee), anything that comes up I apply for but rarely hear back.

Anyway rant over, if anybody wants to take on a lorry driver for a non lorry driving role then let me know.

Good luck OP, I’m sure something will come up. It’s a bit miserable out there for jobs!

pondo

This interests me yes, I’ve considerd it before. I’ve hired and worked with many trainers on different projects and their role always appeals to me, it also always seems to be neatly sitting outside all the usual bullshit that swirls around projects – they’re sitting in the corner somewhere being creative and delivering packages to business users.
    When I did my prince 2 5 years ago the trainer was outstanding, loved his craft, and was paid well – I remember thinking then I was moving in wrong direction!

I enjoy it – just switched to an office-based training role, but my previous one had me all over the country. Trainers are on the edge of all that project gubbins but removed from it, no need to get involved in office politics. You have a high degree of autonomy, which I really like, and you meet new people every day – lumbered with a nasty idiot today? Once they go home, you may never see them again. 🙂

barkm
    Free Member

Seen an ad on faceboak for Ambulance technicians, 25-31k IIRC, not exactly a cushty number, But I’d imagine it’s be quite fulfilling and varied too.

Considered this also. I had a stint as a community responder and worked alongside ambulance folk for a little while. What puts me off is shift work. I had considered approaching it as a short term job; set a goal of doing 2 years or something, and still might.

I was once scooped up by an ambulance and got chatting to one of the EMT’s, he had started out in the RAF, done a full stint in the Police and retired, and was doing EMT for pocket money – inspiring.

j4mie
    Free Member

I’m probably sticking my hand up for redundancy early next year. Been doing same job for 11 years and my heart’s just not in it any more. It’s fairly interesting and not too badly paid for what is a glorified admin job, but the long promised qualification has never arrived so I’ve not got a lot to show for it. Semi decent payout will clear my debts and give me a few months to chill out.

Really not much of a clue what I want to do. As an introvert I hate job interviews, but needs must I guess.

benv
    Free Member

Ideas; I have all my hgv licences from army career, freshly renewed (as I’m old), and booked to do a cpc course in december – this has always been my full back plan, where I live there is plenty of driving jobs, but the hours will be long and I don’t really see it as a permamnent thing.
    But I have a vague idea of maybe working 6-8 months, and taking the rest off to travel. NOt sur ehow viable that is though (in a job hopping sense).

Gritter driver? Work over winter period on a fixed term contract (about 6 months depending on location). If it’s a cold winter, plenty overtime, enjoy other 6 months fannying about. Not so cold? Move somewhere cold for the next winter.

pirahna
    Free Member

I got made redundant 2 years ago (not my fault, the company got taken over). Despite my best efforts there seems to no space in the job market for IT techies in their mid 50’s, or if their is I haven’t found it. I put an ad for garden maintenance in a couple of the local village newsletters and have been picking up work that way, I could do with proper job though.

If redundancy is an option my advice would be to have solid plan before volunteering. If it’s compulsory but a few months off, same thing, plan and hit the ground running so to speak. If anyone has any ideas for the non-business minded (me) I’d love to hear them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 2p from getting made redundant a few years ago.

Don’t underestimate how little effort recruiters put into thinking about CV’s. I applied for anything and everything, got absolutely no response from 95% despite being overqualified, but perhaps not applying from a junior ……….. role into a senior………role. Especially if you appear to be taking a pay cut.

In the end I took a temporary job earning £1500/month (and a long commute at that which cost £200 in petrol!) basically listing old kit on ebay and worked up form there to decent money over a couple of years.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Redundancy/career change’ is closed to new replies.