Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Reducing the climate impact and emissions of a diesel van vs. buy new electric?
  • Premier Icon molgrips

I hadn’t heard of HVO. From a quick Google it sounds like a next-generation biodiesel without the disadvantages. Can I get it in the UK?

EDIT actually doesn’t matter if I buy it for my own personal car – it just matters that it’s being bought and put into the fuel mix.

Premier Icon alpin

That means airport/train station pick ups

The fuel used by your guests getting to Norway is significantly higher than what your can is kicking out.

Biggest saving would be not having any guests.

Or more realistically, offer more Enduro style Tours with only one uplift and more pedaling.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

The fuel used by your guests getting to Norway is significantly higher than what your can is kicking out.

Amount of fuel, yes, but don’t forget to factor in vehicle’s pollution control systems regarding cold-starts and short trips

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/environment/2017/07/10/cold-starts-could-freeze-air-pollution-improvements-says-equa-index-analysis

Then combine with guest emissions and uplift for a fuller picture.

with only one uplift and more pedaling.

I fully admit to recently scowling at 4×4’s with trailers full of bikes (on the Long Mynd)

Especially after I’ve just hauled self and bike uphill only to get a lungful of their fumes. Then I remember that I too just drove 40 miles to get to Church Stretton, where ten years ago I’d have cycled that trip and back, including the climb. 😢

#oldknackered

Premier Icon duncancallum

@sui

No I’m aware of fame etc.

We’re not big on fame we are more traditional fuels though we are doing more

Premier Icon wbo
    Free Member

Heia – First time poster, longish time lurker. For context I’m based in Stavanger and I’ve been driving an electric car the last 18 months. Persoanlly I think that if you can get a vehicle with adequate range you should do it.
    1. Emissions – the new EV is going to emit a lot less emissions in the medium, let alone long term – all research shows that. Assuming that 30000 km is real , well you’ll do that in a year, then you’ll be on ‘wins’. Your electricity is effectively 99% renewable, and more so in Bergen. There has been some import from outside in the past, but not much, and with rapidly growing wind contribution it will reduce further.
    2. Running costs – you will save a LOT of money. I charge at home at night, and I’m sure you’ve seen power is on a negative cost at night at the moment. Compared to petrol, diesal you’ll save a ton of money, 1000’s a month. Plus you get a reduction on bompenger and road tax, and reduced servicing costs. If you need to rapid charge it’s stil about a 1/3 of the price of petrol for an equivalent journey so quids in.
    Also remember you’re in Noreay, not the UK, so all the problems of only a limited availability of fast chargers doesn’t really exist. We’re really on the second wave of charger installation, and even if you don’t have a Tesla there are lots of stations, and increasing 100 and 150 Watt/hr units around (get some apps, or look on google maps)

I would get a vehicle for the week when you can and test one – if you can make it fit you won’t regret it

Premier Icon AnyExcuseToRide

Those suggesting not having guests at all, I’ve already written about that if you read back through the posts.

Thanks for the alternative fuel suggestions, certainly going to look into those properly. I wonder if we can get a large scale delivery to be stored at my house, otherwise I wonder if we could lobby the local kommune to get one of the local fuel stations to sell HVO or flame or something…

@wbo – Hello from Nesbyen *waves*! All the things you mention sound great and make sense if you compare a new diesel vs. a new electric. Having driven a couple of electric cars I agree they are so much nicer to drive, much cheaper and plenty practical these days.

The question is still whether it is more environmentally friendly to buy a brand new EV over keeping my dirty old VW T5 going for as long as it will. I’m still unsure however this thread has provided a lot of good info to consider both sides. I definitely like the idea of finding an alternative fuel that I could run the diesel car on to produce less emissions.

Then I’m wondering if there are some kind of exhaust of filter you can retrofit to the exhaust to reduce the NoX fumes.

Premier Icon grtdkad

Then I’m wondering if there are some kind of exhaust of filter you can retrofit to the exhaust to reduce the NoX fumes

@AEtR I have been involved in a couple of projects where we have retrofitted Selective Catalytic Reduction kits to large diesel power generators to meet UK emissions regs … so it’s certainly possible and productive*. For powergen sector I believe the technology has moved across from the world of agri, large tractors etc. I do not know if there is a similar capability considered viable for old vans though – perhaps a business opportunity for someone out there?

*One of our client’s projects was for a 2MVA diesel generator – and iirc had NOx of ~1800mg/m3, the kit reduced that down to ~150mg/M3

Premier Icon tjagain

I’m not really convinced with the idea of selling the old van on and it still being used or something. It just feels like I move the problem on rather than fixing it, don’t you think?

it drops down the food chain and at the bottom rung a 25 yr old rusty filthy transit is scrapped and off the road. Everyone in that chain is now driving a slightly greener vehicle

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

re SCR retrofits for vehicles, Do you know what the legislative framework (if any) is in Norway?

Some stuff here from Germany:

https://dieselnet.com/news/2019/08kfb.php

Seems to have turned into a consumer* vs (VW) manufacturer argument

German consumer groups have pressured automakers to endorse hardware retrofits to reduce NOx emissions from in-use diesel cars—instead of lobbying for customers to buy new cars—and to pay the costs.

Hardware retrofits of Euro 5 diesel cars have been enabled by technical regulations issued by the Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur (BMVI, Transport Ministry). When issued, the regulations were criticized by Volkswagen, who advised its customers against having hardware retrofitted by third-party providers. “All of the concepts that we know of so far bring disadvantages for our customers such as increased fuel consumption and therefore increased CO2 emissions, and even a reduction in performance in some cases,” said the company.

I’d be most likely remain skeptical of their efficiency for cold-starts and short trips. Could be wrong.

(Edit) – read the conclusions of the Horizon Prize findings:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118303086

*still cringe at this term because when I first heard it I was young and it seemed ominous…now I’m old and it seemed prescient.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Link to start you off on other non fuel particulates
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11356-014-3696-8

Traffic-related sources have been recognized as a significant contributor of particulate matter particularly within major cities. Exhaust and non-exhaust traffic-related sources are estimated to contribute almost equally to traffic-related PM10 emissions.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Dear god, I can just hear the anti-disc brake bike bregade once they get a hold of that!

Wish my car was so good at emitting brake dust. All the brake dust I generate welds itself to my alloys.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.