Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Reduced Crime – Record Prison Popualtion
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

Link Here“Prisoner numbers in Scotland have hit a record high despite crime being at its lowest level since 1975, according to the latest official figures.”

Despite? Surely crime is at an all time low BECAUSE we are jailing the offenders? Discuss.

druidh
    Free Member

That doesn’t follow either, e.g. longer sentences would mean fuller prisons with less crime.

deviant
    Free Member

10 pages at least, i’ll get the biscuits….

In all seriousness though, if you talk to most coppers they will tell you who is committing the most crime in their area, repeat offenders tend to be neither clever nor repentant….it makes sense that if they are locked away then crime falls….

…however there is always someone to replace them and always a first time offender somewhere….we’ve had crime for as long as we’ve had people.

Depends how you see prison also….is it about rehabilitating the crims?….or simply keeping them away from the law abiding?….i’d like to think a bit of both but thankfully i dont have any first hand experience!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wallace1492
    Free Member

Druidh, that is what is being said. More in jail, less cime.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Or Less crime because fiddling Police dont call it crime anymore.If you really think crime is falling your living in a dream world.

nick1962
    Free Member

deviant +1

monkeycmonkeydo 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – Member
    Or Less crime because fiddling Police dont call it crime anymore.If you really think crime is falling your living in a dream world.

Stats to prove crime is rising please.

Otherwise it’s just bollx.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Despite? Surely crime is at an all time low BECAUSE we are jailing the offenders? Discuss.

Correlation doesn’t prove causation. Have you thought that perhaps the rehabilitation process is becoming more effective?

http://www.economist.com/node/16636027

nick1962
    Free Member

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nationally, violent crime has declined by
    33% and property crime has decreased
    23% since 1994. During the same period
    incarceration rates rose by 24%. Some
    commentators draw upon these two
    trends to support the conclusion that
    incarceration “works” to reduce crime.
    The reality is far more complex.
    References to national data
    alone obscure the significance of
    the experience in the states as they
    utilize different strategies and achieve
    different results. A recent study that
    analyzed state prison and crime data
    revealed that there was no discernible
    pattern of states with higher rates of
    increase in incarceration experiencing
    more significant declines in crime.

Between 1991 and 1998, those states
    that increased incarceration at rates
    that were less than the national average
    experienced a larger decline in crime
    rates than those states that increased
    incarceration at rates higher than the
    national average (See Fig. 3

http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/inc_iandc_complex.pdf

PiknMix
    Free Member

Legalise marijuana

You would be amazed how many prisons that would free up.

CaptJon
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_vHDjG5Wk[/video]

irc

Depends what crimes you are talking about. Over the last 10 years homicides are down. How do you fiddle them?

Attempted murder & serious assault are down. Some scope at the less serious end for classing serious as common assaults. Bit of a one off though. Wouldn’t explain the steady decline over the last 10 years.

Theft of motor vehicle well down as well. Another hard one to fiddle. I’d say that’s due to better security on new cars rather than more car thieves being jailed.. Cars can’t be stolen any more by just removing the cowling and fiddling with the ignition wiring.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/06/1698/7

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have they taken population growth in to consideration with these figures?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno how it all fits in with the general prison population but a BIG majority of our current prisoners are licence recalls.
    I’ve met loads who just can’t keep away. 🙄

Pays my bills though. 😆

TheBrick
    Free Member

licence recalls

Does this mean repeat offenders?

Does not surprise me.

On the population front.

1975 = 56 Million
    2011 = 62 Million

Data

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:GBR&dl=en&hl=en&q=uk+population

Article says prison population has risen by 4%.
    Overall population has risen by 10.7 %.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does this mean repeat offenders?

Possibly but there’s a difference.

‘licence recall’ means that you’ve been released on licence & broken terms of the licence, Repeat Offenders are just that but may have also broken licence terms. (Or their licence has expired but they’ve offended again)
    We see lots of both but not that many 1st timers.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ahh right, I thought it might be slang.

project
    Free Member

There should be a huge influx of new prisoners next year when all the ones involved in the barclays and others banks scams get prosecuted.

But then they will probably get off, as theyre not unemployed, and claiming benefits,and getting just a few quid extra.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Bikes with massive locks on them,CCTV cameras everaywhere,burgler alarms common as muck and all terrace areas with metal security gates.Oh the. joys of a low crime society.You lot believe any old bullshit the authorities tell you.I and many others have given up reporting criminal/anti-social behavior because A)Its so prevalent in daily life and B)Will it even be investigated?

donsimon
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Monkeyc might have a point that certain sectors are increasing but that means we’ll have to forget the general trend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes none of us have any personal experience of crime whatsoever and we just believe what we are told by the man

nealglover
    Free Member

You lot believe any old bullshit the authorities tell you

Well ??

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yes general trend of crime down.Only 500,000 bikes stolen each year and an estimated 6 million people taking illegal drugs.Oh and of course nobodys gone to jail in the city after the financial crisis.So yes, obviously we have declining criminality.You lot make me laugh.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

ng-Its a fact crime doubled between 1979/1997.A very sharp rie in a very short period of time.If you think things are any better now go leave your bike unlocked out there and see how long it lasts!Britains urban areas say crime ridden ghettos to me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If I wasn’t on nights next week I’d do a survey of the 49 prisoners on my wing to see who was either licence recall or 1st timers. The rest could be classed as repeat offenders.
    Off the top of my head I only know of one 1st timer. (34 yrs old, in for handling stolen farm machinery!)

samuri
    Free Member

For a while there I thought we were talking about locking up people who hadn’t paid their TV license.

ahwiles
    Free Member

(i’m going to make the rough-arse approximation that crime = theft)

maybe crime is falling because most people don’t have much stuff worth stealing?

(tv’s and laptop’s are cheap, and everyone’s already got one, is there much point in stealing them?)

of course, this is just a massive guess, based on little more than looking at the old worn out junk i call ‘my stuff’…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yes general trend of crime down.Only 500,000 bikes stolen each year and an estimated 6 million people taking illegal drugs.Oh and of course nobodys gone to jail in the city after the financial crisis.So yes, obviously we have declining criminality.You lot make me laugh.

Then legalize drug usage, like during the good old Victorian times. It’s only classed as crime if the powers that be say so.

Too many rules = lots of crime.

irc

On the population front.

1975 = 56 Million
    2011 = 62 Million

Data

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:GBR&dl=en&hl=en&q=uk+population

Article says prison population has risen by 4%.
    Overall population has risen by 10.7 %.

Nope. The article talks about the SCottish prison population. Unlike the rest of the UK Scotland’s population is more or less the same now as 1975.

5.225M in 2011 5.227 in 1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland#Vital_statistics_since_1900_.5B1.5D

cbike
    Free Member

The freakonomics guys reckon Crime has fallen due to increased availability of contraception. Less crims are being born.

glenh
    Free Member

Population in prison per 100,000:

USA:737
    Scotland: 134

Crimes per 100,000 people:

USA: 3345
    Scotland: 6183

Violent crimes per 100,000 people:

USA: 404
    Scotland: 219

All these figures are for the most recent I can find. Now obviously there are lots of factors involved here (not least that crimes are no doubt recorded differently in the USA and Scotland), but it does sort of suggest that high prison populations might reduce crime rates overall (although it’s interesting to note that 5.5x as many people in prison correlates with a reduction in overall crime of less than half – seems like a pretty expensive solution….), but does nothing for violent crime.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Either way, with plans to further cut the police force crime rates will soon shoot back up to a healthy level not seen for decades.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Reduced Crime – Record Prison Popualtion’ is closed to new replies.