• This topic has 40 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Rediscovering music
  • piemonster

And discovering new stuff.

I’d kinda phased out of music for quite a few years now. What the best means for getting back into it.

I only really know Lastfm and Spotify but haven’t really used either for a couple of years now. With the focus on being led to new artists. Where’s best to go?

athgray
    Free Member

Bandcamp.

CountZero

BBC 6Music, and Uncut magazine. Uncut has really good reviews, and it has a quality CD on the cover with selected tracks from the review albums. Very iTunes/iPod friendly. I can’t be arsed with LastFM or Spotify, they really just seem to work on the ‘if you like that, then you’ll like this’ principle, whereas I like to be surprised by stuff. Mark Radcliffe played a piece by Henryk Górecki this afternoon, Symphony No 3: II Lento E Largo – Tranquillissimo. Just heartbreakingly lovely, and not something I would have thought to look for. I’m familiar with Lamb’s ‘Górecki’ but that’s it.
    I have my phone by the radio with Shazam open, and a notepad and pen for tracks Shazam can’t recognise.
    It’s cost me a lot of money over the years…
    Just this week I’ve tagged The Ex, Nomeansno, Landshapes, Caracol, American Royalty, Coney Island Sound, Summer Camp, The White Buffalo, and a new Field Music track.
    All different styles, and all totally new to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

shows like rob da bank’s bring new nuggets of joy for me

Squidlord
    Free Member

For old stuff:
    1. Buy cheap turntable
    2. And a crate of beer
    3. Get vinyl out of the attic
    4. Send family away for the night
    5. Feel really young again for a bit
    6. Wake up on the floor.
    7. Feel really effing old for a bit
    8. Repeat

piemonster

5. Feel really young again for a bit
    6. Wake up on the floor.
    7. Feel really effing old for a bit
    8. Repeat

I’m not alone in my motivation then.

piemonster

The thing that’s really surprised over the last couple of years is;

How often I listen to Radio 3.

And how often when I do stumble across something I really like, just how emotional it is.

loddrik
    Free Member

Am diggin spotify atm. Was listening to the Spermbirds the other day, hadn’t listened to their stuff for over 20 years.

sadexpunk

second 6 music. i hardly ever play my own music these days, i love being surprised by the wide variety of good stuff on there.

TheFopster
    Free Member

6music
    Pitchfork
    Spotify
    Friends

piemonster

6music

recommended a few times. Looks like a new station for me.

Pitchfork

googles

Spotify

familiar

Friends

what are these, have you read my posts. I’m clearly an insufferable arse.

DezB
    Free Member

Try Soundcloud.
    Find something you like, find someone else who is following the artist (or has favourited the track) see what else they are following and check it out. Endless discovery 🙂

CountZero

Soundcloud is good, as is Bandcamp, lots of artists there have free downloads.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another heavy Soundcloud user.

It’s rather brilliant.

STATO
    Free Member

I struggle with soundcloud, there just seemed to be so much rubbish to wade through. Need to have a proper look.

Spotify is ace tho, build a playlist, run a radio off it (picks songs vaguely associated), tune it with a few likes/dislikes and more often than not it will kick out some great tunes. If you find a good one jump to the album and save as a playlist for later. Had a great run of Disco tunes tonight!

6music is great for building up playlists too, cant listen to it all day tho, to talk-y.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I agree, many times I have followed an artist to be linked to some other artist to find out its been a bit lame, agreed you do have to wade through stuff.. But once you have found an artist you do like, it’s rather easy to meander around the genre.

I don’t use spotify any longer, but then I probably listen to stuff you would hate.

All good though.

Music rocks.

STATO
    Free Member

I don’t use spotify any longer, but then I probably listen to stuff you would hate.

I have quite ‘broad’ taste.
    Current song – Spacer by Sheila
    Previous song – Surf Solar by F*** Buttons

tho yes, some seriously questionable songs pop up quite often 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Better gear to listen to it with – always motivates me.

Been listening to my main speakers on £many000 front end tonight -interesting, to say the least. That dude also lent me a coupla hundred quidsworth of Van de Hul and Audioquest cables, I shall be using the CDP a lot more in the next few days….

mrben101
    Free Member

Another 6Music listener here 🙂 Favs are Gid Coe, Tom Ravenscroft and The Freak Zone. Found some amazing stuff because of the Freak Zone that you won’t hear anywhere else.

Have 6 on in the studio all day, but the evening is better/more interesting listening I think. Got to love a station that can go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfKK547r94 to this: http://metz.bandcamp.com in a few tracks 🙂

Or just go make friends with your local indie record shop. They are usually a friendly bunch and if you tell them what you like will suggest stuff. Where you based? I’m sure some can point you in the direction of a decent indie near you.

piemonster

Or just go make friends

No

piemonster

Soundcloud is proving a winner.

Will get 6music on the go tomorrow.

piemonster

Where you based?

Dundee

grum
    Free Member

Jango radio on my phone is brilliant. Similar to last.fm – you type in the name of an artist/band you like and it plays you similar stuff. Generally works really well and it’s free.

piemonster

Excellent, loads to be getting on with here.

Soundcloud is working nicely Ta.

Need to start working through Somafunks list. Off work today so a lazy music day beckons.

DezB
    Free Member

Got another tip for you – the Tune Association thread on here. (I’ll bump it.) Some great stuff on there. And some garbage (but we don’t mind).

Pigface
    Free Member

My new car has DAB and 6 music is on all the time, apart from Radcliffe the DJ’s are chimps but some really good music.

zokes
    Free Member
    piemonster

So which of you has a beard.

Be gentle.

CountZero

My new car has DAB and 6 music is on all the time, apart from Radcliffe the DJ’s are chimps but some really good music.

Eh? Even LaLa, Cerys and Maryanne? 😯

ktaylor
    Free Member

Google Music has just launched Acces All Areas (basically spotify with the bonus of storing all your own music on the cloud). Its free for a month and I’ve already discovered some good stuff.

freddyg
    Free Member

Another 6 music fan here.

It was solely responsible for getting me back into music having become very dissolusioned with the whole music scene in the late 90’s and early 80’s.

One day, there was an ad on BBC1 (I think) advertising a new digital only station – set at a wedding reception and the DJ put on the White Stripes – “fell in love with a girl”. I hadn’t heard anything like it for years. I jumped on t’interweb and found 6music – I’ve been there ever since. It does have a couple of annoying presenters but the music more than makes up for it.

chakaping
    Free Member

While I sometimes listen to 6music, read Pitchfork or browse Soundcloud – I’m going to be honest and admit that most of the “new to me” music I discover these days is by watching BBC4 documentaries.

Trying to come to terms with my own middle-agedness here.

CountZero

It does have a couple of annoying presenters but the music more than makes up for it.

[cough]Keaveney[/cough] 😉

fasthaggis

Soundcloud
    6music,
    The Friday Guardian G2
    The Observer New Review section (if you can’t be RsT with the Graun)
    STW
    Before you know it you are lost on a You Tube sidebar adventure .

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

What was that you said? STW?

freddyg
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

[cough]Keaveney[/cough]

Quite. I miss Phil Jupitus in the morning.

fasthaggis

What was that you said? STW?

😀

That thread has sent me on some of the best music discoveries 😉

It still amazes me how much new and undiscovered music is out there waiting for me.
    Brilliant.

CountZero

I miss Phil Jupitus in the morning.

Too right! Lovely bloke, sent him a text once, asking about a track he’s just played. A couple of minutes later my phone rang, and it was Phil, calling to give me details about it! Top bloke.

It still amazes me how much new and undiscovered music is out there waiting for me.
    Brilliant.

Don’t! I keep finding far more than my meagre finances will allow me to buy, and then there’s the concert tickets… 🙁

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

More soundcloud love here, yes it takes a bit of fishing but once you find the shoal it is great now have more than I could ever listen too!
    Try Funkanomics for mash up stuff and The Reflex fro how to do remixes properly.

R6
    Craig Charles is the best “feel good” show on Radio ever. F.A.C.T.
    Gile Petersen – illuminating
    Don Letts – smooth and sophisticated
    Cerys Matthews

FWIW I have just “discovered” AWOL Nation and frankly can’t get enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Rediscovering music’ is closed to new replies.