Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Red Light jumper, 8am Victoria road, Glasgow
  • BoardinBob

TBH, I'd probably say mich the same thing but without swearing, but I doubt you'd catch me in the first place.

I jump red lights. Not every time, just when I can see what's coming.
    Am I proud of this? Not really.
    Am I ashamed of it? Not really.

Why do I do it?
    Because I can
    Because I get from A to B faster

That's all.

Do you RLJ in the car? If not, why not? You'll get where you're going faster?

Shandy
    Free Member

Samuri pick a motorway late at night, you'll be fine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

That & I'm killing a bit of time before going out for a ride…

Just go on your ride then ! Oh and I am not your Pal 🙂

BoardinBob

edit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I jump red lights when it is safer for me to do so than to wait for the green. slowly and carefully when I can see the road is clear and not inconveniencing other road users.

I don't do it all the time and I don't do it for my convenience – I do it for my safety at badly designed junctions

BlackDog
    Free Member

That includes slacking off work if its a slow day to post on STW which I am sure you are guilty of BD

Not at all, I have my own business and have other people run it for me.

Shandy
    Free Member

BoardinBob if you jump a light in your car you will get penalty points if caught.

If you do it on a bike you won't.

That probably explains it.

iamtheresurrection

So if you break the rules and it doesn't have any impact on anyone else then that's fine?

Yes, that's my point entirely. If is has no impact on anybody else, I don't see what business it is of theirs. I do not want to live in an Orwellian state.

So, yes, raises hand…

PS Ever cycled in France, Holland or Spain? Cyclist do what they want if it has no impact on other road users (or often if it does) and yet they are generally tollerated by other road users. We are not the problem on the roads…

emac65
    Free Member

That & I'm killing a bit of time before going out for a ride…
    Just go on your ride then ! Oh and I am not your Pal

All in good time PAL……

WackoAK
    Free Member

I've had a RLJ almost crash into the back of me because I had the audacity to stop at a red light, the idiot actually muttered under his breath as he went past…

BlackDog
    Free Member

You are quite agressive emac65 aren't you.

samuri
    Free Member

Samuri pick a motorway late at night, you'll be fine.

yeah, touch wood.

BoardinBob

BoardinBob if you jump a light in your car you will get penalty points if caught.

If you do it on a bike you won't.

That probably explains it.

Exactly. And I'd quite happily see cyclists get points for RLJ'ing amongst other offences.

iamtheresurrection

I've had a RLJ almost crash into the back of me because I had the audacity to stop at a red light, the idiot actually muttered under his breath as he went past…

He was clearly a knob. As I say, no impact on other road users…

Shandy
    Free Member

Well not if it distracts you from your driving, that would be irresponsible.

maxray
    Free Member

Ah.. which is why you have so much time to get wound up by these little things.

Nice position to be in mind, not having to work for a living.

Shandy
    Free Member

Further legislation is always the answer.

samuri
    Free Member

That's what I thought, which is why I hired someone else to do it for me.

emac65
    Free Member

You are quite agressive emac65 aren't you.

LOL,not one bit mate 🙄

Rockplough
    Free Member

I love these threads where you know if it wasn't on the internet then either everyone would be dead nice and see everyone else's point of view, or at least agree to disagree and not be so bloody po-faced, or it would degenerate into some kind of half-arsed fisticuffs.

For what it's worth I commute in Glasgow. I occasionally jump reds when I think it's much safer for me or more considerate to motorists to do so. I do not approve of jumping reds just to save time or to avoid stopping (I'm looking at you fixed riders). Having said that I'm much more annoyed by seasonal commuters on shonky bikes with saddles too low down, cycling in the gutter at 5mph. But that's me.

BlackDog
    Free Member

Nice position to be in mind, not having to work for a living.

Yeh it's wonderful. As I said before I'm not wound up at all, I was slightly pissed off at the time but noting more. There are others getting stressed about it though.

LOL,not one bit mate Fair enough, just how you come across. In certain situation people who end a sentence 'pal' appear quite aggresive. But then again I'm from Glasgow.

uplink
    Free Member

This guy gets all upset if he thinks others are doing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_gNhsTCME

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i once nearly casued a crash draggign a bunch of dying roadies through the last 20 miles of a sportive.

Turns out they wern't expeciting me to lock when the light turned red :-p

emac65
    Free Member

There are others getting stressed about it though.

Really, who's that then ?I always think it's everyone trying to wind everyone else up,never thought people wrote what they really think on these threads……..

Shandy
    Free Member

Rockplough go easy on the fixies. When your bars are only 8 inches wide you need some momentum for added balance. In addition, stopping at lights can be difficult when you have no brakes and are riding clipped pedals in a pair of converse whilst attempting to keep your fringe out of your eyes. Its a tough gig.

mcboo
    Free Member

I'm not wound up because I had a lovely relaxing commute to work on my SS today. Track stand at a couple of lights, floated casually across a red light or two along with half a dozen or so other cyclists, not forgetting to track stand again and let the nice pedestrians cross the road. Didnt clip out the whole way down, sun was shining, I am the happy traveller.

Shandy
    Free Member

mcboo I hope you also waved cheerily to passing pedestrians and performed an additional track stand to nose manual to let a small kitten cross the street?

dave360

you can touch my wood Samuri

mcboo
    Free Member

I did. Then I fell flat on my pud and am typing this from casualty.

Shandy
    Free Member

Why do bad things happen to good people?

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldn't go near it you dirty red light jumper.

mcboo
    Free Member

Right now the biggest danger on the roads in London (and I kid you not) are all the pretty girls riding Pashleys and fixies in skirts and kitten heeled shoes. Totally inapropriate footwear and likely to cause men all over the capital to suffer a momentary loss of concentration.

BlackDog if you write to the Daily Telegraph and demand action be taken you can count on my support, likely Simon Heffer's too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I always think it's everyone trying to wind everyone else up,never thought people wrote what they really think on these threads……..

Perhaps you should go on Jeremy Kyle show instead of posting here then? 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you RLJ in the car? If not, why not? You'll get where you're going faster?

No.
    Why? Because my car has a numberplate on it and I'll get caught and fined, and it's a bit trickier in a car anyway. They're bigger, see?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have to say that I've encountered two RLJs in the last two weeks that are perfect evidence as to why cyclists shouldnt RLJ, and why laws exist against it. The first I was driving my car to work, a cyclist ran a red at speed and missed the front of my car by inches, followed by a turning and hurling insults at me. The car behind almost hit me and I lost a decent amount of tyre tread in the stopping process. The second I was cycling to work and a cyclist ran a red on the road I was crossing, it had no direct impact on me (although if I'd been 1 second earlier I'd have T-boned him) but a pedestrian standing on the junction about to cross his road was startled by the cyclist he had assumed would stop and jumped sideways into the road in front of me. I had to swerve to avoid him and was nearly taken out by a car that was safely about to overtake me.

RLJers are narrow minded idiots with no understanding of the dangers they pose to others.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RLJers are narrow minded idiots with no understanding of the dangers they pose to others.

That's a rather sweeping statement, to say it's based on such little knowledge….

Shandy
    Free Member

RLJers who don't look around them you mean?

Shandy
    Free Member

And are your tyres made of plasticene? What speed were you doing you hooligan?!

BoardinBob

No.
    Why? Because my car has a numberplate on it and I'll get caught and fined, and it's a bit trickier in a car anyway. They're bigger, see?

Number plates for bikes then 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ay Ay, Calm Down, Calm Down

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Red Light jumper, 8am Victoria road, Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.