Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recycling in Sweden
  • Flaperon

As a country England is too stupid to make recycling work.

rmacattack
    Free Member

too stupid , stubborn , and ignorant . guess there pretty much the the same thing as they go hand in hand.

Pigface
    Free Member

Similar in Finland, they are so far in front of us it is embarrassing

thenorthwind

I don’t doubt there just generally more conscientious overall, but burning waste for heat doesn’t sound like the most environmentally friendly solution, and it’s also one that makes more sense for them (with a very cold climate) than in the the UK.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

As a country England is too stupid to make recycling work.

Ah,inverse Xenophobia, a sure sign of true liberal intellect.

too stupid , stubborn , and ignorant . guess there pretty much the the same thing as they go hand in hand.

[quote]

The ability to create a coherent sentence would help me understand whatever point you wish to make.

A bit of light reading for the unaware.

https://www.viridor.co.uk/our-developments/

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

*waves*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s a different way of doing things certainly.

In Norway you can’t even throw anything remotely useful away. You have to take any clothes or miss-matched crockery to the government equivalent of charity shops.

At the end of the week the only thing that went in the bin at my cousins was the plastic/foil seal off the milk! They do have about 7 bins in the house though.

but burning waste for heat doesn’t sound like the most environmentally friendly solution, and it’s also one that makes more sense for them (with a very cold climate) than in the the UK.

Our incineration count’s towards our 45%! It’s used either to generate electricity (Middlesbrough) or provide district heating (the one in Sheffield pipes steam to the Hospital and University).

seosamh77
    Free Member

9 million v 65 million, bit easier to organise. 44% recycled in the uk seems a decent start at it.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

but burning waste for heat doesn’t sound like the most environmentally friendly solution,

There has been a few privately funded efforts to find a way of gasifying land fill waste, this involves feeding the waste into an oxygen free chamber which is heated, the waste is converted to gas and inert ash, the gas is run through an engine turbine to produce electricity, the heat from the engine is re-directed to the initial process. Sounds great but needs a lot more development with the clean up of the gas.

MSP

65% in Germany with a population of 80 million.

It isn’t the size of the population, it is the scale of the vision. Germany and the Scandinavian countries witnessed the results of acid rain back in the 80’s. People could see the impact with their own eyes, it wasn’t just abstract science reports, and it spurred on the environmental movements in those countries.

Although I do worry if the message is losing its power as memory fades, it is very easy to spin the rules as being bureaucracy imposed by meddlers against the common good.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m living in Bahrain at the moment and believe me the UK is no where near as bad as you think. I bought an apple the other day and had to stop them giving me yet another plastic bag. There is absolutely nowhere to recycle anything.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There has been a few privately funded efforts to find a way of gasifying land fill waste, this involves feeding the waste into an oxygen free chamber which is heated, the waste is converted to gas and inert ash, the gas is run through an engine turbine to produce electricity, the heat from the engine is re-directed to the initial process. Sounds great but needs a lot more development with the clean up of the gas.

Gas cleanup isnt the problem, the Air Products plant on teesside has all sorts of fancy kit to scrub the gas before it goes into the GT’s. The problem is the gassification. To ensure that anything really toxic is broken down you have to go really REALLY hot (they inject oxygen plasma). And unfortunately the refractory lining just isn’t upto it, which is why it’s not currently working.

The older generation used fluidised beds of rubbish and cleaned up the exhaust gas. It’s much less efficient but it does work.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’m living in Bahrain at the moment and believe me the UK is no where near as bad as you think. I bought an apple the other day and had to stop them giving me yet another plastic bag. There is absolutely nowhere to recycle anything.

Same in Japan. You walk into a conbini which you’ll find on every street corner practically and with everything you buy you’ll get a plastic fork, spoon and carrier bag. However, everyone takes responsibility for their own rubbish and places it into the appropriate bin. The bins clearly mark whether the items will be burnt for fuel or recycled. The streets are spotless.

I want to know when more councils will adopt smart bins and start placing them in places that need them most. Lay-bys and outside food shops and such like. There seems to be a distinct lack of bins everywhere and surely if they had smart features then bin collections could be more calculated.

km79
    Free Member

Ah,inverse Xenophobia, a sure sign of true liberal intellect.

Well it’s a change from the usual xenophobia we usually get on here.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Well it’s a change from the usual xenophobia we usually get on here.

I dispute this, would love to see your actual proof of genuine STW xenophobia.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

9 million v 65 million, bit easier to organise. 44% recycled in the uk seems a decent start at it.

I’m not having a go, but why does the population matter? I genuinely would like to be educated!

More people means more waste to recycle yes, but more people to organise it Shirley ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recycling in Sweden’ is closed to new replies.