• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by swdan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recut the BB thread or buy a new frame?
  • swdan
    Free Member

When building up my Planet X London Road 3 years ago I found the BB threads a bit difficult to deal with. I managed to get the BB in but had to be super careful.

Cut to last night, replacing the BB and I just couldn’t get it to work. I managed to knacker the new BB and in an attempt to get the bike rideable this week managed to knacker the old one when trying to put it back in.

Now, I know getting the threads recut is realtively cheap (about £35 round here) but to be honest but I’ve been getting a bit bored with the London Road anyway and was thinking I’d replace it in the next year or so. Last night I was beginning to think about cutting my loses and just picking up a new frame now.

So, what framesets are out there approximately £500 that will do what the London Road does (commute, tour and gravel/light off road)? I run 38s on 700 wheels so need a bit of clearance.

Or do I just get the BB sorted and hold on for the time being?

Have been looking at the Tripster AT but it’s a bit over budget

poah
    Free Member

try getting the frame retapped first.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Assuming you’ll sell the frame once you’ve replaced it, you’ll recover more than the cost of retapping.Plus it’s probably the quest way to get it back on the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’ve damaged threads on the BBs then the threds on the frame are unlikely to be 100%. May well be repairable but I’m not sure I’d want to sell on without advising (& taking a hit on value).

chipster

If I were you, I’d get the threads chased out (re-tapped). Then you can make your mind up about a new frame, while riding your old one.

bigyan
    Free Member

Depends what condition the BB shell is in.

Chasing the threads will remove metal from where it should not be and can straighten slightly distorted threads, however it does not add material back in.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by this, it looks like a fun bike.

VULTURE

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also…the LR looked like a really good value frame – not sure that anything around is going to be significantly better, albeit a replacement will of course be new and shiney.

swanny853

Arkose frameset would probably do you for that wouldn’t it?

[stealth ad]Alternatively, if you’re anywhere near the south east and the right size, I have a 54cm pro6 frame I need to sell that should do the job. I fitted 38 gravel king SKs to it as a test and that seemed about right. 40 will fit in the fork and it will ‘fit’ in the frame but there’s absolutely no clearance at all so I wouldn’t consider it a practical option.[/stealth ad]

swdan
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Yeah I’ve generally been happy with the London Road .It was one of the £150 bargains and I had none of the issues other had but over a couple of years there’s been a couple of things that although now a deal breaker just take the shine off. This in one (and I admit my own hamfistedness contributed). Also, I never actually “wanted” the LR but it served its purpose of being a cheap frame.

It would not be worth a lot second hand so not too concerned about preserving value there.

I think I’m coming round to getting it ridable then saving for something I actually want, not just like but want. Now to find a decent LBS near Epsom/Sutton.

Speshpaul

Clean the threads out, really clean – toothbrush and GT85, then oil them and work in a old square tapered BB with a steel shell, little by little. plenty of oil and take your time.

if the threads are still ropey, try a Saint BB as they have longer threaded sections,

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

try a Saint BB

good advice!

And: Saint BBs are great anyway!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’ve damaged threads on the BBs then the threds on the frame are unlikely to be 100%. May well be repairable but I’m not sure I’d want to sell on without advising (& taking a hit on value).

Just whine about it on every Planet-X and one one thread for about 10 years,

If you try a Saint BB, be aware the threads on some frames don’t go that far so you may need it tapping anyway. Also if the first few threads are damaged enough to be damaging the BB then you might need those re-tapping anyway. I’d get it tapped and ask for it to be tapped far enough for a saint BB, belt and braces then.

swdan
    Free Member

Right, it’s booked in for a retap and face at the weekend. Whilst it’s there they can put a BB in so it’s rideable when I pick it up. Will probably cost me near £100 but if they get it sorted I won’t mind.

I’d love a new bike but at the end of the day I also don’t want to miss the summer riding whilst I decide what to get!

I’ll update everyone how it goes

otsdr
    Free Member

Go threadless square taper!

swdan
    Free Member

Picked my bike up today and was pleasantly surprised at only having to pay £48. That included a retap, supply and fit a new BB (tiagra), new front gear cable and a gear service. I had already taken the chainset off and the olb BB out but still, I actually dontd think that’s that bad.

When dropping the bike off I took the time to check out what they had to offer should I be in the market for a replacement. Was quite taken by the Trek Checkpoint and the Specialized Diverge, if only the diverge had hydraulics…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recut the BB thread or buy a new frame?’ is closed to new replies.