• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recovery Drink, Bad Stomach
  • Haze

Anyone else getting this, taken on immediately after finishing a ride but experiencing bloating several hours later?

It’s my regular product which I’ve used for a couple of years without issue, stopped using it last summer when injury kept me from training.

So when things started picking up again I dug into the existing bag only to spend the evening in excruciating pain, I put it down the hard effort but got the same next time I used it.

Thinking the bag had spoiled I bought a fresh one which was opened today…same result, sat here again with the hot water bottle clamped to my stomach!

simonloco
    Free Member

Yes sis stuff, bloating & fatting so badly I stopped using it ( wife was going to make me sleep in the shed)
    Drank a pint of milk after training instead.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

USN for me…not tried anything else, but Goodness Shakes seems to be fine, or just good old supermarket own brand Chocolate milk, but to be honest I’d rather have a proper meal…I only use the supplements if I can’t get a proper meal after a ride. Same with in-ride nutrition, I carry a couple of gels on long rides but only as an emergency measure, I take proper food with me.

Haze

I have no issues with anything else, gels etc all fine.

I’ve used this exact product over a couple of seasons without problems until recently.

Maybe I’ll drop them a line and see if they can give me any pointers, getting the mix right or something?

StirlingCrispin

At a talk from Sky Cycling’s nutrionalist a few years ago he said this was very common.

It’s due to the acidity of the gels / drinks.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I recently started using SIS Rego because a friend bangs on about it all the time. It destroyed my stomach, I’ve never smelt as bad as during my couple of weeks using it. Back on the chocolate milkshake now but its took a good few days to get my stomach right.

chilled76
    Free Member

Rego farts are real!!!!

It’s terrible stuff, based with soy. Soy is a phytoestrogen… e.g. in large quantities it mimics female hormones. Just what you want for recovery (insert sarcastic tone).

What is good is it has electrolytes. Mixing a whey protein shake and a pint of electrolyte would be a much better recovery drink imho

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Oh more people with the SIS guts. Their flapjacks/bars I can tolerate. Everything else just gives me a very bad belly. I stopped using anything from SIS quite a while back because of it. I can recommend a pint of whole milk as a recovery drink and if you need extra oomph then the MyProtein electrolyte tablets are superb. Big to swallow but they do the job better than anything else I’ve found if I’m dehydrated and cramping.

BillOddie

Yeah…you want to avoid Soy Protein.

Either Choc milk or a shake made with whey and a carb source of your choice (e.g. Maltodextrin) will aid recovery.

Haze

For the record it’s not SIS

No soy from what I can see – maltodextrin, skimmed milk powder and whey isolate.

philjunior
    Free Member

If it’s giving you a bad gut, why not just eat real food?

The minute I see a convincing case for a potion like these things is the minute I’ll consider using them. A decent meal is the best thing post ride, failing that get a milkshake, banana in a blender with some milk if you want to feel healthy, use non dairy if you’re vegan.

p.s. if you want a real recovery drink, look up Dunn’s River Nurishment. Amazing stuff (if you’re like me and have a total appetite and sweet tooth post ride). Probably not that great in terms of protein etc but Vanilla flavour is like drinking liquid tablet.

Haze

More than happy to use real food and quite often do, just sometimes it’s easier to take a drink on.

If anything I’m curious to why it’s giving me a bad gut now when it’s been fine for the last two seasons…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Torq for the win.

I’ve been using it for years all over the World & never had an issue regardless of what I’ve been doing.

Kuco

I’m fine with Goodness Shakes vanilla. As for people who constantly bang on about real milk, great if you can tolerate it, but not everyone can.

nicko74

Anyone else getting this, taken on immediately after finishing a ride but experiencing bloating several hours later?

Yep, but I haven’t yet found a recovery drink that works. Tbh I’m often reduced to digestive biscuits and hot mint tea for about 2 hours after a ride.

YMMV, but I think it’s something to do with not taking on fluid/ carbs in the last hour or so of a ride, because I might as well just wait til I’m finished. So I’m totally done in when I finish, and can’t stomach much for a while.

Haze

Interesting nicko, admittedly I probably should drink more on longer rides…and at least 2 of the 3 occasions have been after fast group rides of 70+

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If you’re not taking in anything in that last hour – assuming you’ve been out for several a number of things are most likely happening:
    A. You could very likely be dehydrated.
    B. Your glycogen levels will be negligible.
    The net result of that is your system is in a fragile state & it’s not too surprising that you’re suffering. The key to fuelling is starting within the 1st half hour if you’re out for more than 90 mins say. Continuing that fuelling throughout your ride.
    There’s some good info here – particularly the short vid:

TORQ Fuelling System

Haze

4 hours moving time, 80 miles…1 litre energy drink, 2 gels, 1 energy bar (all Torq) and a rather large flap jack at the midway cafe stop.

So 5 units when I should hit 8 to 12 (not including flapjack)

jairaj

I’ve just found out the hard way my body doesn’t like For Goodness Shakes Choco flavour 🤢

Went to get some choco milk as an on the go breakfast, got the FGS stuff as it was on offer.

Had first bottle yesterday and went down fine. Just had the second bottle today and oh dear I think I’ve just made climate change 10% worse off from all the gases I’ve been expelling. On the plus side I’ll beat anyone at a game of battleships 😎😂

Kryton57

You could be a little more analylitical.  I used to have a huge problem with Torq, and moved to SIS as a result.  I don’t have any issues with any SIS products.  I also use whey Protien from myProtien.

I discovered years later I have an intolerance to apricots.  I get a dodgy stomach, upset stomach and very windy from apricots in whatever form.  Looking back, the Torq products I had used contained dried apricot…

Haze

Cheers Kryton, at the moment I’m putting it down to a combination of poor hydration and the relatively sharp increase in work load.

I’ve always been acutely aware that I don’t take enough water on board during and particularly after a long ride, so maybe the right time to start addressing this.

I missed a few months last year following injury (only Z2 stuff) and have only recently rejoined the training bashes, obviously I’m finding it a lot harder than previously so maybe I need a bit more time to adjust to the increase.

Historically I’ve never had a problem with any of the products so I know they’re good, have been advised to split the recovery drink into two separate servings and see how it goes with some proper hydration.

Seems like a plan, will have the hot water bottle on standby!

Kryton57

It could just be extra carbs causing an intolerance which you will get used to?  I had this in December when I was advised to increase my carb loading / recovery.  It just takes time for your stomach to get used to it.

Haze

Yeah there’s maybe a wider issue than just the recovery drink, a few things to try anyway.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recovery Drink, Bad Stomach’ is closed to new replies.