Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recovering after a ride, is SIS Rego necessary? What do you eat afterwards?
  • djen83
    Free Member

Does the body need anything else but Protein, Carbs, Salts & water? Am I missing a magical ingredient?

I’m trying to prepare a post ride meal that will help me recover, and sleep properly at night.

What do you eat? Does anybody else struggle to sleep properly after intensive exercise an hour or so before bed?

Cheers in advance

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How many hours of work are you doing that requires you to specifically require salt replacement ?

Just eat whatever normal food your normally eat.

If it’s very late I will just have a big glass of milk and banana.

Plenty of threads on here about what to do to help sleep post exercise, including having a Tommy tank, alcohol etc.

DT78
    Free Member

I struggle to sleep. Tried lots of things. Now I go to bed earlier and get up between 5-6am and train before kiddie gets up.

Recovery I don’t do anything special aim to eat breakfast as soon as I can after finishing. 3egg omelet, 2 rounds of buttery toast. That’s for 7-8 hours a week. When I was 10-15 hours I’d have a pint of milk with nesqwick after a heavy session.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I have no chance sleeping if I do exercise before bed. I have to finish my exercise a good 2hours or so before going to bed. Too much going on immediately after – i’m hot, my heart rate is elected and I just feel too awake even though my body might be tired. I feel I need a good couple of hours to let everything settle down before I go to bed.

jekkyl

2 or 3 cans of Stella and some S&V crisps.

jonba
    Free Member

I use recovery stuff if there are limited options. So after a race ive driven to. Even then i often have yazoo as it is cheaper. Generally ive never found much benefit from it. Best thing for me is a stick massager or foam roller and plenty of liquid.

Kryton57

For long rides or hard workouts & races i use soy protien isolate (my protien) spinach, a banana and coconut water blended in a nutribullet.

For short rides and easy workouts I don’t need to bother with anything different.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For long rides or hard workouts & races i use soy protien isolate (my protien) spinach, a banana and coconut water blended in a nutribullet”

Would I get the same benefit if I didn’t use a trendy brand blender ? Such as maybe a ken wood ?

Fwiw I find for repeated sustained daily efforts there’s quite a difference to how I feel when I wake up and how my muscles feel between something like torq recovery and nesquik.

How ever I’d expect so at the price difference and so for my commute I often have a nesquik. But when I head out on a multi day 150k a day ride I take a few sachets of recovery for before bed.

Sis gives me serious gut rot.

mattyfez

Im planning a 3 day ride and wondering the same thing, currently thinking of necking a gel and a protein sachet mixed with water as soon as possible for simple carbs and protein, then a normal meat potatoes and veg meal with a pint or two about an hour later after a shower and cleanup.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends entirely on what and how much you are doing and what the next day involved. I use recovery shakes etc (torq) when I’m racing or occasionally after a big ride when I’m away from normal food. They are really good at what they do. Normally I try for something quick and easy post ride.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m seeing more of an improvement in recovery using Xendurance daily, than Rego after workouts and SIS Nocte before bed. Very surprised by its effectiveness to be honest.

http://www.xendurance.eu/products/xendurance

For reference I do three bike TrainerRoad sessions, four runs (two easy, one interval, one long), and three swims a week.

rugbydick

Would I get the same benefit if I didn’t use a trendy brand blender

for my commute I often have a nesquik

Would I get the same benefit from a supermarket own brand milkshake powder?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have started having a protein shake after riding and placebo or not it’s made a big difference to how I feel the next day. I think the one I use is called sci-mx pro vgain. Apparently you need lycene to stimulate the muscle recovery which it contains.
    I was a non believer until my mate gave me a tub of chocolate flavour that he didn’t like and I tried it and felt much better than normal the next day. Placebo of not I have carried on using it. Strawberry though. The chocolate tasted like gritty cardboard.

ninfan
    Free Member

Dump the Nesquik and expensive protein shakes – go for a nice mug of Horlicks or Ovaltine (or a Horlicks milkshake).

bruneep

I hear there is a shortage in your area due to local panic buying. 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve started having a pint of semi-skimmed milk with a teaspoon or two of honey as a post-ride drink. Seems to work well.

porlus
    Free Member

55 mile lumpy road ride today. Got home and had warmed up pea, feta and mint frittata and a glass of strawberry yazoo 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

pea, feta and mint frittata and a glass of strawberry yazoo

Only you…

porlus
    Free Member

Only you…

Hey it was nice though.

ninfan
    Free Member

Was it all you needed for another day?

Possibly even all you ever knew?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recovering after a ride, is SIS Rego necessary? What do you eat afterwards?’ is closed to new replies.