Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recording BBC Iplayer
  • FB-ATB

Hi
    Has anyone been able to record a programme that's on BBC's iplayer? There are no FAQs on their site for this so I guess it's something they don't want you to do?

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

You can download them – look for the link underneath the main screen.

They will only last 30 days though unless you get hacking.

FB-ATB

seen that about the 30 days- tho it seems that once you start watching it you still have 7 days to watch it all.

No idea about hacking- is this possible?

DrJ

But what is a bummer is that you still can't play them outside the UK, so if I ask a friend to record something I still can't play it here in wonderful Copenhagen

so …

is there a good way to capture what is on your screen, and record them that way ??

jon1973
    Free Member

is there a good way to capture what is on your screen, and record them that way ??

I suppose it's designed to stop you doing that for copyright reasons, but a quick google shows that there are utilities out there to allow you to do it..

You could always see if there is a torrent you can download as well I guess.

FB-ATB

looks like I'll have to do a search elsewhere!

Shame, if we hadn't changed from Virgin to Sky, might have been able to record it to DVD from the on demand services.

Cougar

My thinking is, if they wanted people to stop downloading things illegally, they should stop making the legal way such a pain in the ass.

A little while back, we missed a programme that the OH wanted to watch (due to the crappy Sky box crashing). I spent the best part of three hours cocking about with iPlayer, trying to download it in a format where I could stream it to the TV (I've got a PC connected to the TV using my Xbox as a media header). In the end I gave up, hit the torrent sites and was watching it perfectly in about ten minutes.

Or, watching a series on iPlayer, got to the last episode to find it was 31 days after broadcast and we couldn't watch it. C'mon, WTF?

simon_g

Doesn't the xbox handle it natively? PS3 and Wii can just stream it straight off.

Cougar

Natively as in directly from the Internet to the Xbox? No, unfortunately not.

Info here – http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/02/iplayer_xbox_360_limbo_fee/

In a nutshell, MS wanted it to be part of their XBL Gold offering, and the Beeb can't / won't allow them to charge for it.

Cougar

(though, we do get SkyPlayer instead, before the holy wars start)

scaredypants
    richmars

Best way is to get a media PC, which records digital tv as MP4 (i think) you can do what you want with it then, keep, burn to DVD etc. But not much help if you're not in the UK.

molgrips
    Free Member

No idea about hacking- is this possible?

If you download the WMV version (windows media player) then it's a piece of cake to strip out the Digital Rights Management (DRM) that stops you keeping it or watching it elsewhere. Just download a DRM stripper.

You may be able to convert the Iplayer specific format to something else without protection – still working on that.

grahamb
    Free Member

Or there's get_iplayer

FB-ATB

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'll be playing around with this tonight.

mrchrispy

you'll be wanting iDownload

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recording BBC Iplayer’ is closed to new replies.