Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Record Store Day 2013
  • zbonty

Anyone buy any rekids today?

A hive of activity at my local store.
    The really limited stuff sold to the first few punters.

Got myself a few bits-
    XX remix 12″
    Dinosaur L 12″
    Fela Kuti 12″
    Shuggie Otis LP

mikey74
    Free Member

Records should be consigned to museums. An outdated format that has deservedly been superseded.

You have a music store in your town? Wow.

boxfish
    Free Member

Records should be consigned to museums. An outdated format that has deservedly been superseded.

Yawn

mikey74
    Free Member

Yawn

It’s true: Even the most fundamental truths are boring :mrgreen:

boxfish
    Free Member

Double yawn. (I’m quite tired)

slinkybike
    Free Member

I only got myself one record day special
    The rough guide to African Disco

Also bought
    Echo and the bunnymen Shine so hard
    Electric dreams ost (child hood memories could not resist)
    Donnie Darko ost (repress with poster)
    Donato Deodato

Still love vinyl but seem to download more and more each year.

mikey74
    Free Member

Double yawn. (I’m quite tired)

I recommend a power-nap.

Seriously, though: I’m quite jealous of people who have decent, local music stores: Ours went the way of the dodo several years ago. Now, if I actually want to buy music off-the-shelf I have to go to Crawley (shudder!!), Tunbridge Wells, or London.

boxfish
    Free Member

Bristol used to have quite a few fantastic places to pick up new and/or secondhand vinyl. There are couple left, if you know where to find them.

Time for that nap. 😀

Duggan

I’m all for record store day but edith bowmam appears to be heavily involved in it on 6music so it’s going straight off.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Trolling, I know; but for reference, vinyl sales have been increasing for at least the last five years, with a 17% jump last year alone. I suspect that it will be around for longer than the CD.

acidchunks

Replaced my black crack addiction with a bike habit a few years back.

Really should get round to selling my 1210s.

Kunstler

This thread has just made me look for a stylus for my old deck – and I found one. Now I’ll be able to have a listen to the subtleties of that particular dynamic range again. Record store day success!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Unfortunately not, it seems you have to be up quite early to get anything you might want, but I work way too late on a Friday to get my fat ass back in the city early enough……..next year i’m taking Friday off

Shame because I had my eye on this (although not likely to be available in the UK anyway)

Have to have a scour online (which is missing the point of RSD completely)

zbonty

Fresh tunage wafting into the garden, whilst conducting a few bike tweaks then a little ride i think!

@Slinky- my man did’nt get me that 12″. Some other bits i’m hoping they can re-order next week.

@acidchunks-don’t do it (unless you have vinyl to sell me? :wink:) I manage to keep the bike and the vinyl habits going, although a year+ long injury has meant zero warn/broken bike bits and more vinyl and an extra turntable in another room.

Go Kunstler!

Everyones a winner, apart from the trolls cos they is wan-kers.

dogbert
    Free Member

I really didn’t take long, plenty of this years records on e-bay at over inflated prices……30 quid for the Bowie 7 inch

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Was hoping for a vice emporium thread, looks elsewhere….

jambalaya
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

You have a music store in your town? Wow.

The fact people listen to music in digital format vs vinyl proves that convenience outweighs quality as even the latest compression formats are inferior.

3 stores in my town selling vinyl records

Northwind

If it’s not on a wax drum I’m not interested

(I’ve got a fair amount of vinyl and a decent deck, and y’know what? Apart from the best pressings in the best condition, I’d rather listen to a quality digital recording.)

slinkybike
    Free Member

I still like vinyl as lots of music I collect never made it to cd or any digital format and it’s alway nice to walk into a shop and browse the racks but good quality wav files (granted that you have a half decent dac) and CDs are always more convient to use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Headed into Rise in Bristol for an hour or so today this afternoon. There was a great atmosphere, caught Casimir for their set which was quite good. Seemed like a great idea.

CountZero

The fact people listen to music in digital format vs vinyl proves that convenience outweighs quality as even the latest compression formats are inferior.

Ignoring the fact that music is compressed, or EQ’d when mastering for vinyl, because vinyl can’t handle the full dynamic range. Hence the ‘warmer’ sound that vinyl fans eulogise about.
    Which is why 12″ singles sound better than albums.
    It’s not just the convenience, I gave up buying vinyl in 1982 after having to take an album back to the shop five times because of the shitty quality; background noise like a pan of bacon frying in the room*. Along with songs jumping because grooves ran into each other; I still can’t listen to Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Go Your Own Way’ 30 years on without expecting it to jump.
    Vinyl’s fine if mastered properly, by someone like Bob Ludwig, and pressed using heavy virgin plastic, but I’m not paying £20 a copy for that luxury, and all the phaff that goes with keeping styli clean and properly set up.
    Been there, done that, bored now.
    *Peter Gabriel 4, as it happens.

zbonty

CountZero- Its all about personal choice and preferences. I know what i prefer and thats what i reach for most of the time.

I to have heard some crappy early 80’s pressings that were on paper thin vinyl and skipped.
    You’re comparing apples and oranges to some extent. Take a Raleigh Activator vs a Santa Cruz V10 down Fort Bill-not really a fair comparison is it?

Blimey, if you’re allergic to faff, mountain biking may not be the right past-time for you either!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Record Store Day 2013’ is closed to new replies.