• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by poah.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recons vs Fox 34SC Factory……
  • Dekerfer
    Free Member

There may be no other answer than ‘no idea, try it for yourself’ but I’ll ask the question anyway.

I am a standard middle class, middle aged, middle of the road (trail) rider. Have had a few good bikes in the past, especially 26er singlespeeds, and I like the kit side of riding as much as the actual riding itself.

Like many, I am coming back to regular MTB riding so I can join in with my kids.

In January I bought a mid-range Whyte hardtail 29er and I’ve made a few upgrades in areas that are important to me (wheels, tyres, tubeless conversion, bars, saddle, grips), all of which have made a positive difference and feel worth the money.

As part of my upgrade buying spree I bought a new set of Fox 34 Step Cast Factory forks. Must have been a rush of blood to the head but the reviews are great and they look amazing in the flesh (metal).

However, before I chop the steerer and commit to using them, can anyone share experiences of making this type of a significant fork upgrade? I’m starting to question whether I should fit the Fox units, maybe simply persevering with the Recons will be enough and I won’t notice a material difference worth £££.

On the other hand, I’m a sucker for some bike bling!

So it’s head vs heart time. The heart is willing but the head is seeking some logical reasons why switching is a good idea.

Has anyone here made a similar change from a pretty basic fork to a great (expensive) one and would you do it again?

TIA for any input.

martinhutch

Yes, you’ll notice! Maybe not as much as whatever the heck a Factory 34 SC costs these days, though.

joebristol

You’ll notice the difference – especially if it’s a grip 2 fork. I don’t think the 34 step cast chassis is much stiffer than a recon – but the damper will be W lot better.

I’ve ridden on the recon gold rl’s on my nephews bike and they seem smooth and everything but there’s just something about them that just don’t compare to my Pike Ultimates.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

In terms of the price issue, I am actually trying to reduce the hurdle by bearing in mind that the cost is only the difference between what you buy something for and what you sell it for – this is a recipe for making everything feel less expensive.

Maybe forks are the part of the bike where you need to be a good rider to feel and appreciate the difference – a chopper like me won’t be able to and should therefore stick with the middle of the road kit……

belgianwaffle1

You should get some 160mm forks and stick them on your bike. Everyone knows mo travel = mo speed. Did wonders for my riding anyway.

devash
    Free Member

My last bike came with a Recon TK Gold, which was noisy but functional. I upgraded it to a Reba and had no end of trouble, warranty returns, the lot. It just felt horrible and wooden.

I then purchased a new bike that came with a Fox 34 Performance Elite (Fit 4 damper). It blew me away with just how plush it felt compared to my previous low end RS forks. It got even plusher after its first service where they fitted some SKF low friction seals.

Cut the steerer, you’ll enjoy!

rockandrollmark

I can’t comment on the 34SCs but my bike came with Recons fitted, and it wasn’t long before I decided they needed swapping out.

The two options I was looking at were Pike Selects and Fox 34 Performance. I ended up with some Revelations chargers with a c1 air spring (so identical spec to the Pikes) and the difference is massive. The Recons were okay at taking the brunt of bigger hits but plush is not a term i’d use to describe them and in terms of setup they’d either bog down on repeated big hits, or if you upped the pressure to combat that they’d spike. The Revelations just soak up trail chatter and give massive confidence on repeated big hits.

If they’re in good nick, and assuming the steerer’s not silly short, you can flip the Recons for good £££. I thought I’d be lucky to get £100 for mine. In the end I got a lot of interest and someone bit my arm off when I said they could have them for £180, so factor that in.

If it were me, and the rest of the bike is pretty much what you want, I’d get the hacksaw out.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

devash, you are the voice I wanted to hear! Mine also have the Fit4. It is interesting that Fox continue to offer both the Fit4 and Grip2 damper – there are some good Youtube vids comparing the merits/issues of both. Given my riding Fit4 is the right choice.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

belgianwaffle1 it is time to go to bed! Also, don’t forget to tidy your room tomorrow.

tomhoward

Maybe forks are the part of the bike where you need to be a good rider to feel and appreciate the difference, a chopper like me won’t be able to and should therefore stick with the middle of the road kit……

Horseshit. Ride what makes you feel good. If you don’t try it, you’ll never know. Great parts are always great, regardless of the rider, and who is to say you won’t get better? You might not, but if you don’t, you know it isn’t your kit holding you back.

Yours,
    A rider who aspires to mediocrity, but uses the best kit he can get his hands on.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

R&RM, thanks for the viewpoint, very useful. Yes, the forks are pretty much mint and I was thinking I will keep them and return them to the bike along with the other swapped out parts when I come to sell it. The F34s would then go on a ‘self build’ or probably be nabbed by my son who lurks on this forum…..!

Dekerfer
    Free Member

TomH, I think we follow the same mantra. Thanks for the clearly stated opinion and one hard to contradict (esp if thinking of using nice new kit….!)

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

New bike

chestrockwell

A few years ago I had Yari and Pikes. The Pikes were miles better, night and day. I’ve now got Fox 36 Fit4 and they are much better than the Pikes.

I’m a bang average rider. You’ll notice the difference.

martinhutch

You should ride the Recons for a bit just so you can have the ‘bloody hell, these are much better!’ moment when you fit the 34s.

poah
    Free Member

What travel?

Middle aged middle of the pack ability here too. I like my kit too. I’d rather have a stiffer on a 29er. If you are just messing about while your kids ride I would leave the recons on the bike.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

poah, they are 120mm travel which, in combination with the big wheels, feels about right for where I ride – great for flow and enough for the size of jumps/drops/obstacles that I feel comfortable tacking (many years ago I knocked myself out in a crash when I took the end of the handlebar up under my ribcage and broke my helmet hitting a rock. Ruptured kidney, spleen, and ribs broken out of my sternum plus a dislocated shoulder. This is still a painful memory so my ambition is a little more modest these days!).

TBH, you only live once so I’m going to use the new forks…..

poah
    Free Member

wouldn’t be my first choice but enjoy them

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recons vs Fox 34SC Factory……’ is closed to new replies.