Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Reconditioned phones – Yay or nay
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Motorola G8 died in the rain yesterday, tbh I’ve never been too enamoured with it anyway. Need a replacment, I like sim only these days but new phone prices are eye watering, music magpie and giffgaff have some decent options.

Android, waterproof and SD slot, seems plenty options, but not sure about how waterproof they are after thy’ve been opened up for refurb.

Poopscoop

I’d done properly they should still be watertight to spec.

I’ve often wondered just how man refurb phones are actually opened up though. Checked over yes but only opened if necessary?

Pity you need the SD card as I’m a real big fan of Google’s Pixels. Unless the later ones have sd card too which I doubt? About the best android experience you are likely to get imo.

Kuco

MY only experience is with re-conditioned Blackberry’s years ago through work, both failed within 6 months.

revs1972
    Free Member

I was browsing Carphone Warehouse yesterday.
    Over a grand for the iphone 13pro and then you have to buy a charger on top of that.
    They must be pissing themselves laughing at Apple Towers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@Poopscoop, what pixel do you have? 128gb would probably do me, waterproof and decent pics? 4A is in budget at 300 quid on amazon.

jimmy

I was a big fan of reconditioned, had some good uns. But with my rose tinted specs off, they are that much further down their life – battery, screen, charge ports. Just didn’t want to last as long as new ones.

If you do, get the top class condition and they’re great if you’re easy on your phones. But as above, my current Pixel was cheap enough on 24m contract that it wasn’t worth it.

matt_outandabout

If you’re careful, they are great.

I have had a line of ‘box open, new’ rather than ‘second hand and cleaned’ phones over the last decade.

tall_martin

How much are you looking to pay?

Im on a Motorola g8 power.

Waterproof,SD card, android £220, with a 2 year warranty because I bought it from John Lewis.

Hmm, they don’t have it any more but John Lewis do a 2 year guarantee on electricals.

https://www.johnlewis.com/brand/view-all-mobile-phones/motorola/_/N-474hZ1z13vmg

Poopscoop

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@Poopscoop
    , what pixel do you have? 128gb would probably do me, waterproof and decent pics? 4A is in budget at 300 quid on amazon.

I’ve got the 3XL currently after having the 2XL. Both bought box opened/new.

I’ll never go back to Samsung or another brand anytime soon.

Neither missed a beat. Nice clean install of Android, first with new updates and free/ attractively priced cloud storage. Which is handy as I take tonnes of pics/ video.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@tall_martin it was an 8+ I had, bought it over the 8 power as it had NFC and a better camera than the power does. As above, I was never fully into it, quite buggy tbh, never in the same class as the S7 I had for nearly 6 years, but it didn’t coast as much tbf.

Sod it, pixel looks a decent bet, I’ll give it a go I think.

simondbarnes

The Galaxy S10 I got from (I think) music magpie arrived as if it was brand new despite being described as being in good condition (their worst rating)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scrap that, no IP rating on pixel.

Simon, interesting, that was pretty much what I was looking at on MM!

Tracey

I’ve just set Abigale off with selling 4 unlocked S10es, all in good condition, as we managed to get an upgrade to S20fes at no extra cost.
    Told her she could keep what she got for them.
    Just had a look at what they are fetching on MM which was a pleasant surprise

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

After recommendations on here I bought a refurbished S10 from 4gadgets last year after my S7 back button stopped working.

Selected the pristine option and it arrived as described. Not a mark on it. Will use them again. Waterproofing works as I’ve dropped it in a pool in the summer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ordered a Pristine S10 from MM last night, should be here tomorrow.

andy5390

Scrap that, no IP rating on pixel.

Unless the IP rating is really essential, down to £268 now, direct from Google with GOOGLEBDAY code

Edit: Didn’t realise previous post was OP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds daft but try a local independent phone place. I’ve got one down the road from me that does unlocking, screen replacements etc and they sell used phones but also get stock of brand new ones from manufacturers that have been superseded with newer models. Got a brand new Samsung A11 for £100. Does everything I want it to.

StirlingCrispin

A Motorola g8 power -as mentioned by tall_Martin is £100 at Argos.

No compass or NFC for cardless payments but OK otherwise.

fossy

Music Magpie – used 3 times. Two iphones, immaculate despite saying ‘good’, then an ipad Pro 2020 12.9 – saved over £400 for ‘pristine’ and that even came in it’s original box.

Well worth it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers @fossy good to hear

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a Samsung S20 FE 5G (IP68 I think ) with warranty for 330 quid as a customer return. Takes amazing pics. 128g, and you can use either dual-sims or sim + microsd.

I’d recommend it over the Pixel 4a as my partner has that, the battery life isn’t great and aside from the portrait mode, camera isn’t as good.

onehundredthidiot

Pixwl 4a is £260 with the birthday discount in Google store.

ji
    Free Member

Pixwl 4a is £260 with the birthday discount in Google store.

£268 I think using code BDAYSURPRISE23 (you may need to click on a blue present to show this code, and possibly buy when not logged into your google account)

cultsdave
    Free Member

I can only see the Pixel 4a for £360, there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to add the promotion code?

PrinceJohn

If you’re on contract it’s worth calling your provider – I got a brand new pixel 5 on the cheap that had been sent out & sent back again, nothing wrong with it the user just didn’t want it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Reconditioned phones – Yay or nay’ is closed to new replies.