Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommended.walks in the southern dales
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi as title says

I just want to do a mildish walk in the southern dales as I’m meeting up with my sister. A loop would be great and a summit to aim for. And less people the betyer

Is buckden pike any good? Is it just a straight up and down from Cray?

Mmmmm

djglover
    Free Member

Great Whernside is a nicer walk IMHO from Kettlewell, or over the other way to Arncliffe

walk

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Buckden Pike is a nice walk but it will be very muddy at this time of the year (it’s a peat bog and is rarely completely dry).

Try this site for other suggestions which might be useful.

https://www.walkingenglishman.com/dales.htm

johnx2
    Free Member

Depends how much and what sort of a walk you want. I like Buckden Pike and the best route is up Bucken Beck, straight out the back of the NT carpark, up past watershoots and some pretty impressive waterfalls, to old leadmines at the top where you come out of the valley and there is a bit of a peaty plod before it steepens again to the top. Then just take the bridleway back down to bucken, which is a mainly sandy year round track. Half day but good stretch of the legs.

My favourite round there which is a bit more of a stroll would be park Hubberholme, path up to the White Lion at Cray, high path along a limestone terrace to Yockenthwaite,down to the river and back to Hubberholme along the Dales Way along the river. Lovely walk, but there’s loads up and down the valley…

fingerbang
    Free Member

Excellent thanks

Also looking at Simon’s seat from barden bridge or even stoodley pike

I don’t want to do whernside as I want virgin territory. It’s an excellent but very busy path though

mudpackerdan
    Free Member

Great Whernside is a great walk, but will be very, very boggy at this time of year, as will Buckden. Likewise for most peaks without any surfacing.

You can walk up Inglebrough from Clapham, that’s a really good walk. You can then descend back down into Ingleton then back to Clapham on the road. One of my favourite walks.

Can be a difficult time of year for exploring, as I’ve just found out going up Boulsworth for the first time. Incredibly boggy, very glad of the waterproof walking boots I’ve just purchased!

slowoldman

Arncliffe over to Malham Tarn via the Monk’s Road then back by Street Head (massive puddle) to Arncliffe Cote.

johnx2
    Free Member

Also looking at Simon’s seat from barden

All pretty much my back yard… The most popular route would be up from the Cav pavilion car park -cafe- via Valley of Desolation, same route back. First hillwalk I ever did and nice with woods and waterfalls as well as moors and crags.

You can also climb more steeply from Howgill (cafe) or Skyreholme. These are all made up paths, paved in places and steps on the last , but it’s Yorkshire, Winter, you’re obviously going to find some mud. (Might head that way on the bike in a bit.)

martinhutch

Fountains fell from Malham tarn. Good surfaced track, quietish if you park away from the main car park. Out and back though unless you’re creative.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Thanks johnx2 and everyone else, I’ll do the walk from cav pavilion, it’s a bit nearer my sister’s. Should be good

martinhutch

You might need to book ahead to park there.

whitestone
    Free Member

You might need to book ahead to park there.

Definitely. This is from a reliable source. They are open Xmas day as well. Booking is online.

There’s limited parking at Barden Bridge, maybe ten cars.

johnx2
    Free Member

^^^
    Good point re parking. Can imagine there being considerable pressure over the next few days. Applies pretty much all up Wharfedale inc some out of the way bits – was amazed at the number of cars at the leadmines the other weekend.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If you’re doing the route from Bolton Abbey – as suggested go up via the Valley of Desolation but then take the steep path down to Dalehead Farm and follow Howgill Lane. When you get to Howgill take that path towards the Dales Way and follow that back down through Bolton Abbey estate.

Edit: Bolton Abbey could be busy though…

fingerbang
    Free Member

Thanks , barden bridge was full as expected so pre paid at the Riverside car park/ cav pavilion. Just pulled up there and prepaid in my car outside the booth

I didn’t realise it was part of the Bolton abbey estate!

It was busy but maybe paying a tenner for parking is the new normal for weekend outdoor fun in popular areas unless you get up at dawn.

And we couldn’t go up to simons seat as wehad dogs so just did a circular walk along the strid and Wharfe

Really nice days walk and dogs didn’t get too muddy. Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommended.walks in the southern dales’ is closed to new replies.