Recommended walks in Exmoor/North Devon

Home Forum Chat Forum Recommended walks in Exmoor/North Devon

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by  benp1.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommended walks in Exmoor/North Devon
  • Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I’m spending a couple of nights near Lynton with my 7 year old son. Wife and daughter not interested in this trip

I’d like to do a few walks with my son and am looking for recommendations. He’s been on plenty of walks so he’s comfortable outdoors. Ideally something high and with views, remote is goodtoo. Something like a 4-5 hour walk would be a good big one, then maybe a couple of smaller ones. We’ll probably explore the coast for a bit and do some geocaching too

I found some recommendations on the Exmoor SRT website and like the look of going up to Dunkery Beacon – http://www.exmoor-srt.org.uk/public_documents/Walks/Walk%20-%20Horner%20+%20Dunkery.pdf

Any favourites you want to share?

snaps

Loads in that area but very very steep in places.

Do a loop of Valley of the rocks (wild goat content) as you come in from Lynton look out for the path that climbs up steep to your left & drops down near the Lee Abbey, back along the cliff top, then down the path over the cliff railway, pint in the Village inn (landlord is a non stop stand up wannabe) then train back up.

Walk up the coast path for lunch at the Blue ball inn on Countisbury hill then take the path further past the pub to Watersmeet & back down by the river.

In Porlock walk up the toll road (you can shorten it with footpaths that cut out the hairpins) then back down Hawkcombe.

Heddons mouth is worth a look – nice out & back route on different paths to Woody bay.

Can’t really go wrong with Horner Woods and Dunkery, but the walk you listed seems  shy of making the most of the area.  There must be a big loop to be had thereabouts taking in a great range of stuff from Selworthy, Bossington Beach, Porlock Weir, up onto the Moor/Porlock Common, Dunkery Beacon, back down through Horner Woods

Let me have  a look I’ll get back later.

SWCP has plenty of loops off, I’d be looking at Woody Bay – Countisbury – Watersmeet area

*edit – cross posted with snaps, and yes, can’t argue with those recommendations.

Burchy1

A smaller one would be walk out the west end of Lynton along the cliff path to valley of the rocks and then back past the cricket club, and the hill above the cliff path.

Dunkery beacon is worth a visit for the views if the weather is good, if you parked at Horner Tea Rooms you could follow Horner Water in the valley south, climb up to Cloutsham Farm, then on up to Dunkery. If you then cam down on the path that runs parallel to the road north from the beacon, when it hits a road junction and open parking area, head into the woods and take the switchback path back to the tea room.

Edit – I didnt open your pdf, and have realised i’ve described that route in reverse…

johnners

From County Gate CP down to the coast path, West to the lighthouse, up the steep path past the trig to Countisbury (Blue Ball Inn option), down to Watersmeet (NT tea room option!) then up along the side of the river and up to the start. It’s a good time of year to do it, the river’s more interesting after heavy rain so this weekend on should be good, and the trees are starting to show some lovely colour. It’s about 12-ish miles with around 1000m of height gain so I’d reckon it’s a biggish day out for a 7 year old but there’s decent break options round the halfway point.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

This is all really useful, thank you. I’ll have OS map, compass and GPS with me so very comfortable navigating my around

We’re staying in the bothy on Foreland Point so will undoubtedly we visiting Blue Ball Inn at some point, and some of what you’ve mentioned it sounds like we could do from the front door (which is excellent)

Suspect first day will be walk from the bothy. Second day to Dunkery Beacon, third day something local again and then head off

We’ll no doubt do the cliff railway too as he’s a full blown railway nut!

He’s OK with steep, he’d actually be OK with some non-exposed scrambling too but I’m guessing there’s none of that in this area

We’ll probably play some of this by ear as it’ll be weather dependent, but we’ll have waterproofs and a bothy bag with us just in case so I’m hoping weather doesn’t stop play

snaps

I that case the second path east of the Blue ball then stay north of the river into Brendon, walk down the lane past the Rockford inn, a few hundred meters on as it goes up hill, bridleway on the left to Watersmeet, choice of routes over the top of Murtlebury for a pint in the Lynbridge hotel on the way back.

Don’t discount Minehead, its nice this time of year once school holidays & crazy Welsh hen/stag do season is over – park at County gate or Culbone, walk to Minehead on the coast path & get the bus back (open top if it still running)

jobro

I’ve done the Doone run in that area several times. It includes much of the best views and trails in the area although not the Countisbury side.

Have a look at this:

https://www.mapmyrun.com/gb/combe-martin-eng/the-denes-doone-run-route-607758

johnners

I’ve just had a look at the pics on the NT website. I’ve walked past that place a fair few times and never had any idea it was a bothy!

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

It’s an ace looking place, I’m looking forward to it

will grab my OS map and use the info here to plan some stuff out, thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.