Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommended routes in the Dark Peak?
  • ransos
    Free Member

Some advice if you would be so kind…

It turns out that a family gathering in a couple of weeks is going to be in Hope, and I have secured permission to escape on my mtb for a couple of hours. I understand that there’s loads of good riding in that area, but I don’t know any of it, so any suggestions/ gpx tracks would be gratefully received. I have the “classic ride” from the mag a couple of issues back – should I just stick with that?

Thanks

jekkyl

how strict is that 2 hours? you’ll need more.
    Have you ridden in the area before?

ransos
    Free Member

Could probably take 3, and no I haven’t ridden there before (only on the road).

jekkyl

Cool have you got a garmin or similar to follow a route?
    I’d suggest.. along the road through Castleton, up the broken road. On the road over the top and down greenlands, turn right up the hill to Hollins cross and then left at the junction then all the way down to the road then along and up to hope cross, down the beast then up n over and down Nabbs wood descent, then just follow the road back round the bottom of the res to Hope. I can plot a gpx for you later but someone will be along in a minute to say my suggestion is terrible. 🙂
    This site is excellent for the area: http://monkeyspoon.com/peak-district-mountain-biking-route-map
    there’s videos on there and everythink.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Classic lady bower route

http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/ladybower-loop

Gpx on the site

ransos
    Free Member

Thanks both. I have a Garmin 800 with OS maps installed, so should be able to follow a track.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

+1 for the classic lady bower

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Up to Hollins cross, follow trail left up onto MamTor, down to cutting (road) and straight up onto Rushup Edge, all the way along and down to Roych Clough, up to South Head, descend all the way to the top of Highgate road above Hayfield, then soon after turn right toward descent into Coldwell Clough, turn right near bottom, long climb up to Edale Cross, descent down Jacobs Ladder, down to Barber Booth, then road to Edale, then bridleway back up to Hollins Cross. 3 hours.

ransos
    Free Member

I did the Ladybower loop on Saturday: snow, ice, mud and masses of melt water made for an interesting ride! I’ll have to come back when conditions are easier, but it was great anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommended routes in the Dark Peak?’ is closed to new replies.