Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Recommended route in the White Peak please……
  • rumbledethumps
    Free Member

HeathenWoods

Re: the Ashover route. Far too much hitting the tarmac. Although the final descent was ok. Having said that, I hear the DP book is miles better.

the-muffin-man

Having said that, I hear the DP book is miles better.

The Dark Peak is completely different terrain – as others have said, all the best riding in the White Peak is of the cheeky variety!! It must be frustrating to put a guide book together when you know there's a cracking trail within 100 yards of the dull legal one that you have to print!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers for the effort TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – much appreciated, ta.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Its not about the terrain though MuffinMan as I have ridden the Dark Park aswell. The Terrain can be challenging in the White Peak area. Its the fact that its far too much road based riding. I also forgot to mention I did the ride in the book through Eyam quarry (can't remember the route specifics, but it started near the outside cafe). Again another dissapointing ride.

abductee
    Free Member

I too would like to know where some of these "special walks" in the white peak are but I think it would be easier to explain where they are by plotting a route on bike hike or bikely rather than giving a lengthy description like this Little Britain directions to Scottish hotel

abductee
    Free Member

Here's a go I had at the Linacre route from the book mountain bike guide Derbyshire and the Peak District Ernest press Tim Banton et al. I got a bit lost a few times and I bet it could be improved with some local knowledge

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24989

jonjon

A lot of what the White Peak Guide is about is exploration, taking people away from ladybower and exploring the rest of the Peak, a chance to see a few sights new to the eye, okay some of the routes have their appeal in the landscape, the industrial past, wildlife or even the odd secluded pub, perhaps at the expense of miles of singletrack, not to say there isn't some great trails, Basically everything around Linacre, Bakewell or Rowsley is superb, granted the stuff around Dovehead is a lttle three thumbs and striking family resemblence. The Peak isn't Dalby, nor is it say Exmoor, the Peak is the world's (2nd) busiest national park, and that can ruin some of the rides. BTW come the summer Cheedale ride is awesome

benman
    Free Member

Cheers for the info TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR. Any chance of getting your email address to have a chat about other 'cheeky' trails in the area? I'm fairly local and regularly ride the Crich / Ambergate ones so would be great to discover some others…

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

When you thinking of going? I dont mind guiding you if Im free and you want the company 😀

benman
    Free Member

I ride in the area maybe once a week at the moment (interspersed with Dark Peak days out). Already know the stuff round black rocks / ambergate / crich, but I'm always on the lookout for stuff round beeley moor / riber etc… I'm happy to be guided on some new stuff, emails in my profile 8)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I had a bit of a look around today and had great fun 🙂

The special walks i mentioned above were a blast and, despite making a mess of finding my way up Black Rock I still found a nice gullied descent in Birch Wood (I told you I messed up! – in my defence, if I hadn't got a train to catch I might even have found my way to BR itself)

click my leg for a couple of pics (the order seemed to go screwy when I uploaded them).

Also, tried out a Trek 520 at Stanley Fearns – lovely steel tourer which Cycle to Work/Cycle Plus should see coming my way :-). First time I'd been to Stanley Fearns and I was really impressed; great shop with really helpful staff.

benman – ygm.

Anyone welcome to join us – we normally ride from Darley Dale on Thursday nights at 6.45 (Actually Weds this week), but best to check with me as we sometimes go from elsewhere. Emphasis definitely on fun and p*sstaking.

The DVATC do some good rides too – check out the Tuesday night rides on their website. We ditched them after a few rides though, as they are mostly too fit for us.

tonto
    Free Member

I know this is an old thread but is the thursday night ride still going?
    I'm new to the area and looking to get some local knowledge.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommended route in the White Peak please……’ is closed to new replies.