Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommended mountain bike for 7-year old daughter?
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new bike for my girl, as she is much too big for her current 16″ wheeled Cuda. It’s also time to up our game – I have a 3-year old behind her so I’m happy to buy something decent because I can pass it down and sell a quality bike for something.

Thank you.

molgrips
    Free Member

We went for a pinnacle kauri at that age, she could just fit it. It’s sized like a 24 but is actually 26 so has better rolling abilities. Pinnacle are a firm favourite in our house. Cheaper than Islabike and IMO better design choices like proper sized tyres for bumpy ground.

We also have a Pinnacle Ash 20″ for sale if you’re interested. Great condition.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I am just looking for new bike for my 7 year old which is interesting as she also needs to like colour as well, I have currently narrowed down to Scott Contessa 20 (Baby Blue Colour). I am still looking and will most probably place the order Tuesday as we have no dealer near by us to try.

There is so much choice now I initially had budget of £400 but after looking around reduced budget to £300.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

The pinnacle is a lovely bike my daughter went to try one last week but unfortunately not colour she likes and Evans also has a trade in offer my daughters current bike would of just gone to tip or someone we knew .

senorj

Little j recently got an orbea mx20. I can recommend that.We are both really pleased with it,perhaps I’m happier than him! Ha. Decent spec,not that heavy
    I got the disc version but v brake models are available.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The orbea MX ranges are good.. as are the commencal rammones 20 and 24
    My eldest daughter is on an Orbea MX24 and very happy with it

couchy
    Free Member

My near 6 year old has just got a Cuda CP20, local shop leant us one as a demo and it was perfect, loads of room to last a couple of years and being geared it’s very easy for her to pedal. She’s managed a few 6 mile rides so far without getting too tired.

cubist
    Free Member

Another happy Orbea MX parent here. Daughter has the 24 and son now has the 27.5 in XS.

simondbarnes

Saracen Mantra 2.0 / 2.4 depending on size needed?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

We bought an Orbea MX for our 8 year old girl. Nice little bike – very light and with decent components for the money. The disc brake model looks like the one to get (wasn’t in stock anywhere when we were buying and Josie didn’t like the colour, which was a deal killer anyway).

JP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Little Miss CFH is on a Raleigh Performance 20, and it’s a little ripper. Her next will be one of these,

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/arx-24-2019

Light. Simple. Excellent value for money.

warns74
    Free Member

After having had a couple of frogs, and based on a great Singletrack review, we bought a Hoy Bonaly 24 for our daughter who is about to turn 7. I am so impressed with it, especially how light it is. She’s only had a couple of rides but the more MTB geometry, bigger wheels and fatter tyres over the frog has seen a huge leap in confidence, speed and distance.
    It’s a brilliant little bike!

kimbers

+1 for Hoy

Got both parties f our s/h in perfect condition

iamtheresurrection

Yet another Orbea pair here, MX20 and 24. They are a good weight and have a good spec for the price. Crucially, the reach is right – I found many kids bikes other than Isla just too long.

The only changes I’ve made are shorter stems, Avis Speed Dial levers for their adjustability and quality, and some Chromag Radar Youth pedal for the eldest as he’s doing some proper riding and the stock pedals aren’t up to much (are they ever)… We went with Vs over discs, no regrets there.

A few of his 8 year old school friends are on small framed 27.5. Totally understand a parents need to try and get value/longevity from everything, but they are all normal height and the bikes look (and are) HUGE under them.

Tracey

In 2004 we modified a Hotrock for Abigale, aged 6, for her first trip to Verbier

It was light, took a lot of abuse but she still rode her big sisters Stinky JR when ever she could

What ever you get keep her involved and let her help chose. Its still working for us 15 years later

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Why is she being chased by Robocop? Did she steal the bike?

JP

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just got my eldest a Saracen Mantra 24.4, it’s ace, proper little people air forks with adjustable compression, hydraulic discs, 1×9 with 30t front and 11-36 rear and proper little people sized saddle and grips. Not sure if there’s a version that’s not bright orange, but it’s mega.

jkomo

I know it’s a dull answer, but the Isla bikes my boys had were perfect, light and well thought out. They hold their value to the point a looked after second hand bike will sell for what you bought it for. I’m sure you know all this, it’s a well trotted out line, but no less true.
    We had 2.0 high rollers on the Bein 26 small as well so pretty versatile.

natrix
    Free Member

+2 for the Hoy.

Both of mine have the Hoy Bonaly 24″, great bike and lighter than most of the others.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I went with this today hopefully my youngest lady has not changed her mind, I did look at Orbea option similar colour but believe she prefer shifter.

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/scott-contessa-20-2019-kids-bike.html?utm_term=product&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel

timtom888
    Free Member

Another vote for the orbea MX Team 24. Daughter has had it since she was around 7 and a half and it works really well.

Ive changed the shifters and chainring as originals weren’t up to much!

It will get handed down to to 2 brothers over the next 5 years – Maybe via the powdercoaters! – so I wanted something up to the task

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommended mountain bike for 7-year old daughter?’ is closed to new replies.