• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommended me a good value commuter giant saddlebag
  • Leon
    Free Member

on days when I don’t need to carry a laptop, I like to ride without a pack, however getting sandwiches, fruit etc for the day in my pockets is a bit of a squeeze.

I thought one of these mid sized bike packing saddlebags might do the job, but there are a lot of options. It’s just for a 1.5hr commute, so I don’t need something built to cross the Gobi.

Any recommendations

willstaffs
    Free Member

I am soon to start commuting to work everyday for 6 months which is only 6 miles each way and was thinking of using an Apidura saddle bag, i only have to carry a polo shirt, trousers and my lunch.

Maybe an expensive solution but can use it for bikepacking trips.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use the largest of the Ortlieb saddle bags. It’s either 3l or 4L can’t remember which. Roll top type closure. You mount a bracket on your saddle rails then the bag clips in to that bracket. I can get Tyre pump, lightweight waterproof, t-shirt, underpants, wallet, phone and a couple of other bits in to it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d reccomend a carradice super c seatpack.

Yes I have one. I also have various roll tops and things which are great for camping they’re just not as goid as the carradice for commuting. Stiff construction means you can place stuff in without it getting all crushed. Big flap and drawstring means you can access stuff easily if you need to. Side pockets hold tools and the zipped side pocket will take your wallet and phone.

Its 8litres i think. Which means you have room if you need to take more than normal. Complete change of clithes/pair of shoes. My commute is 24miles each way.

Its tough as old boots aswell. And pretty watertight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a caradice  longflap camper into which i place 2 of those gym sack type bags … one with my clothes and one with my lunch. my oh shit kit and spare tubes go in one of the side pouches.

If i need to pick up milk on way home theres still room.

Unlike the drybag style ones i use for bike packing the caradice just gets better with age- its 10 + years old , where as i have to replace my drybag style bikepacking bags on a semi regular basis to maintain watertightness.

Kamakazie

Topeak Backloader is what I ended up getting. Think they do a couple of sizes.

Well made, good vfm but not going to be as stable as the higher end bike packing bags (or I expect not). Mine wobbles a bit but I don’t notice it on the bike with my light commuting loads.

CraigW
    Free Member

Lomo saddlebag is good value, 13 litres, £30.

cookeaa

I got a Vaude “Offroad” seatpost bag after a PSA on here last year, it’s pretty good but currently unavailable (discontinued?) however the Rixen Kaul “Contour” is basically the same thing I think…

The Quick Klic Seatpost adapter is the useful bit as it’s unobtrusive when the bag’s not fitted, the bag itself is expandable and can take rolled up clothes plus a shower kit (if I use a dinky microfiber towel) and my lunch/snacks…

drewd

I have the Vaude that  cookeaa mentioned above. I’ve only used it 3 times, but it’s been fine on my 35 mile round trip commute. It’s quite heavy though due to the steel rack.

keithb

A small carradice sounds perfect. On one have some holdsworth ones for about £40 at the moment, I  think made by carradice.

I also use the quick release bracket (not the sqr )  good kit.

monksie
    Free Member
    TiRed

Topeak MTX  beam rack is great for days when I just need a few clothes. Probably overkill. But very simple to swap between bikes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommended me a good value commuter giant saddlebag’ is closed to new replies.