Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommendatiosn for a Mutlitool with pliers
  • withersea
    Free Member

Hi, after being caught out at the weekend on a ride with a stuck valve that needed some pliers to remove, I am looking for a new multitool.

Perhaps a leatherman, Stanley or one of the cheap but popular options on amazon.

What would you all recommend. Happy to spend circa £50, as I’d like to carry it and forget about it until I need it, knowing that it will be ok to use.

Cheers

maccruiskeen

The leather man sidekick is one of their cheapest and is also (comparatively) light and compact

another in-budget option is the Gerber Suspension but it’s quite bulky in the pocket by comparison

despite the budget prices they both have excellent warentee back up

hatter

Or just get a Ryder innovations nutcracker, far cheaper and lighter to carry.

simon_g

Leatherman Style PS are nice and small/light and can get for around £30. Have one in my camelbak for the stuff a bike multitool won’t do. https://www.leatherman.com/style-ps-25.html?dwvar_25_color=11&cgid=multi-tools#start=1

mikeyp

Wolf tooth master link pliers

martinhutch

Just got a Gerber Vise – tiny, light, looks like it will do the kind of jobs you mention.

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for the Leatherman Style PS.

It’s small (7.5cm closed), light (1.6oz/45gms), and very well made particularly the pliers and cutters. I was after something small to supplement my Topeak Hexus multitool. It contains a few other tools but doesn’t have a blade (if that’s important to you).

In my experience its toughness and performance belies its size. It’s come in useful on a number of rides, including dealing with stuck valve cores, gear cables (gripping/cutting), removing thorns and metal stuck in tyres, helping to undo quicklinks and cutting cable ties.

This review has pics of the Style PS being held and used which gives a good idea of its size: https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/leatherman/style-ps-multi-tool/

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’d recommend one with a spelchequer attachment.😁

hot_fiat

Leatherman Squirt PS or Style PS. Good quality miniature bull nosed pliers with enough meat to attack valves, banjo bolts and regular split pins, but nimble enough to do hope pad retaining labyrinth pins. Tiny too so no weight penalty and the blade wont see you arrested.

rogermoore

In the spirit of recommend what you got – Gerber Suspension – picked it up from Amazon Warehouse for £30. Outer Cardboard Packing was slightly creased in one corner.
    RM.

superleggero
    Free Member

I have a Gerber Suspension which is a well made full size multitool with decent pliers, but I’d avoid taking it on a ride as it has a locking blade, which in a public place is frowned upon by the law.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool CX with a Crank Bro’s cb17.

tagnut69
    Free Member

I have a leatherman crunch in mine

markhammill
    Free Member

Leatherman for the no quibble warranty broke mine no receipt sent it back they sent me a new one

Wally

squirt for the win.
    I carry two , they are tiny yet really can get you out of a fix.

patagonian
    Free Member

+1 here for the Gerber Suspension. In fact it’s the NXT version which was £33 on Amazon.
    Not bothered about the locking blade as the police would have to be having a bad day to make anything of that at my age! Also I prefer knowing the blade isn’t going to fold up on me.

butcher

Quality of the Gerber Suspension is really good in my opinion. Paid about £20 for mine.

It’s a bit naughty to be carrying on the bike all the time with a locking knife though.

CountZero

It’s a bit naughty to be carrying on the bike all the time with a locking knife though.

Why? Unless you’re waving the damned thing around with the blade open in a manner that people might find threatening, nobody is going to give a shit!
    I’ve carried knives of one sort or another for most of my 65 years, and the only time I had a problem was forgetting I had one on me going through customs to France, instead of putting it into my bike bag.
    I’ve been out with an axe before now, doing some path clearance on a Sustrans route after a large branch came down, and nobody cared, other than thanking me for clearing it out of the way.
    A knife is a very useful tool, and difficult to replicate with anything else; scissors just don’t cut it…
    Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    FWIW, my favoured multitool is the Gerber MT800 Legend, the pliers have replaceable triangular tungsten carbide cutters, which are brilliant for cutting all sorts of wire, including really hard wire that put notches into the jaws of a pair of 8” hard-wire cutters.
    They also have a saw with a replaceable blade – it comes with a Remgrit blade, but will take Black & Decker jigsaw blades, although most won’t fold into the handle, it’s still possible to carry them just in case a longer blade is needed.
    It’s an expensive tool, usually around £120-ish, but I found an ex-demo one in the States which cost me around £70 including postage, so worth searching around.
    It’s actually my second after my original got lost, which I was very upset about as it was a pressy from my late mum ☹️ I looked at others, but the Legend just does everything I need a multitool to do, I even used it this afternoon to unscrew a stuck valve cap on a car with a very soft tyre, and it took some shifting even using the pliers.

winston
    Free Member
    sirromj

I’ve got the Gerber Suspension, it’s bulky and heavy (260g), and not something I want to always keep in my backpack (Osprey Syncro, daily commutes or otherwise). You won’t forget about it, especially jammed in with pump, bladder, camera, food, jacket, etc etc.

That Leatherman Style PS looks much more like it, 200g less than the Suspension, and less bulky.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommendatiosn for a Mutlitool with pliers’ is closed to new replies.