Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommendations? Winter bib tights for long days in near zero temps
  • Hi,

Looking for some thermal bib tights for riding in all weathers all days i.e. warm with a comfortable pad for up to 12 hours in the saddle.

Any recommendations?

Cheers..

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I’ve got a pair of Specialized RBX Comp shorts that I like a lot.

mrb123

These from Pactimo are currently 31% off with the code on the site…
    Vertex RT WX-D Bib Tights Men's

For slightly less extreme conditions, Castelli Sorpassos are also excellent.

whitestone

I’ve used DHB Roubaix but now have some Madison ones, don’t know the model – there’s no obvious label to say. Has a front zip as well for those nature breaks.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Waiting for the weather to be cold enough to try the Galibier Mistral ones that I got recently.  Looks like this might be my lucky week….

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Just re-read and thought you wanted shorts not tights. The recco remains, thermal shorts with leg or knee warmers are a really versatile winter option.
    I’ve got some lovely Decathlon thermal bibs but they are to warm for all but the coldest days, it needs to be close to zero to warrant using them.

Mister P

I’ve used DHB Roubaix but now have some Madison ones, don’t know the model – there’s no obvious label to say. Has a front zip as well for those nature breaks.

I use the RoadRace Premio –

https://www.madison.cc/p/roadrace-premio-men-s-bib-tights/cl13804

They have the zipped front plus reflective panels in the backs of the legs. They fit me nicely being a “race fit” tight. The pad suits my bottom well too.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I used to use Endura FS-260 bib tights, but just replaced them with some Rivelo going very cheap on SportsPursuit:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1398018

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

Pearl Izumi Am Fib. They come up large, but are excellent.

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

I won’t be spending anywhere near 12 hours in the saddle but any recommendations for warm, maybe windproof tights without a pad? Sorry for the hijack.

MTB Rob

Another one for the Madison tights
    Madison RoadRace Premio men’s bib tights
    or
    Madison sportive shield softshell bib tights

Both are look like fishing waders, as in they come high up the body/sides. which I find is good as I used to get cold sides/lower back sometimes.

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Subscriber

Sportful Total Comfort are my favourite cold weather tights – I have Sorpassos too, but they’re not as warm. I have tights with windstopper panels but find they feel more restrictive / trap moisture / get clammy / get cold quicker. I worn mine for multiple days of sub-zero in the arctic winter which is as good as test as you’ll get.

teamslug

Has anyone tried the Lusso Termico Repel bib tights. They look pretty good and the pad is the same as in the carbon bib shorts which are really highly rated. I’m on the look out too and have narrowed it down to these or Endura

shedbrewed

If you can find them, the Bioracer Spitfire Tempest Protect (snappy name eh?) are amazing. Good chamois, well fitted bib and warm and water repellent mix of materials. Also have massive reflective panels on the calves.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I have a pair of the Rivelo thermal bib longs from Sport Pursuit (Winnats, I think). Decent pad, comfy, warm enough for minus figures last year.

Put them on for the first time this winter today… 🙁

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Dhb+1, but they’re not as stretchy as the shorts so may need to go upna size (im a l in shorts, but need an xl in the longs otherwise its really tight arround my knee.

Premier Icon aggs
    Subscriber

Rapha winter bib tights are great.
    Windproof front of legs.
    Not regretted buying mine. Used them for 12 hour plus road ride in below zero windchill and loads of rides hovering around zero to 5 degrees. .
    Nice and cosy.

ransos

Castelli Sorpasso are wonderfully comfortable. If it’s below freezing I use Planet X Roubaix tights (no pad) over bib shorts. Two layers over your knackers…

djglover

The howies padded ones are amazing. From 10c down to -3 they are great, even in pouring rain

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

If anyone is HUGE and wants a pair of unworn Amfibs as mentioned above, PM me, I’ve got some. They seem suitable for arctic conditions but they’re too big for me.

boblo

Another vote for the Specialized jobbies here

You can get em with or without a pad and they’re the best longs I’ve ever had.

Also a happy Pearl Izumi Amfib User here. Over here the winter temperatures can drop to -10 , especially at night when I tend to do most of my riding, and they work a treat. Also good when cold and wet as the name suggests they repel some water.

Premier Icon scotabroad
    Subscriber

Another vote for pearl Izumi, I bought mine a few years ago and seem to last forever

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I like to wear a liner short with unpadded thermal tights over the top in the cold.

Just to add an extra bit of insulation and try to prevent tiny shrunken acorn syndrome, IYKWIM.

avdave2

Has anyone tried the Lusso Termico Repel bib tights

I’ve the older Max Repel bibs and they are very good. Mine are unpadded and I wear the carbon bibs underneath and the pad is very good.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

Really useful – I think I know which ones I’ll get now.

Ta

boblo

Is it a secret?

Haha..I’ve ordered some Pearl Izumi Pro pursuit bib tights from SportsPursuit.

The Pearl Izumi ones seemed the right mix of warmth and quality at a reasonable discount on Sports Pursuit too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.