Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommendations: frame and fork to build as a tourer
  • I’ve got a full xt touring drive train and wheels ready for a build. I want to use drop bars as I have a set of BB5 road callipers but I need some frame recommendations.

Due to the XT chainset it will need to have an MTB chainline so the granny ring doesn’t catch the chain stays.

Any ideas on what would be best?

ton

i am just in the process of converting my on one 29r into a tourer.
    should be ok i reckon.

fork is a singular 29r fork.

woody2000

Budget?

cupra
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya, frame £330 at Triton, I love mine.

Salsa say the vaya is only good for a road chainset?

Budget hasn’t been considered really. I’m trying to use parts that i already have for the build so £500 max for frame and fork I reckon.

andyh2
    Free Member

I’m sure there are people out there running triple on Vaya. Could use a Mountain Double (more money) or a triple with inner and middle rings (28/42 or 22/36 depending on your legs and loads) and slightly longer BB, if you’re not too sensitive to Q factor.

Cupra how do you find Vaya compared to Fargo you had for a little while?

kilo

Could try and ask edinburgh cycles if they sell their Revolution Country Explorer as a frame only.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya.

Love mine.

Now with added Cowbell.

And yes, I know the steerer needs cutting down…

STATO
    Free Member

Due to the XT chainset it will need to have an MTB chainline so the granny ring doesn’t catch the chain stays.

Touring/road chainline is narrower than mtb, so you wont be hitting the stays unless its an out-and-out road bike and designed for a double (you wont find one of those that fits discs so non issue really).

Second the Vaya, similar price for fargo if thats your fancy. Also not much more for a singular Gryphon which has rack mounts and runs drop bars.

STATO
    Free Member

Should probably point out also, the main issue with using MTB crankset with drop bars is front mech choice. You cant (easiily) run a shimno STI front shifter with a MTB front mech, so you might want to run bar-end shifters.

solar1
    Free Member

Fargo. Bought mine on a whim last summer and have fallen head over heels with it. Rest of the fleet rarely get a look in now. Works just as well fully laden with a weeks worth of camping gear as it does belting around the local woods. Riden some seriously rocky trails last autumn, it coped fine and with 60psi in the tyres it can keep up with the roadies on the Sunday morning club meet. It just eats miles with so little effort and it’s transformed me from the fat knacker half a mile behind to that annoying c**t a mile ahead without breaking a sweat.

I’ve asked to be buried with it. Highly recommended.

midlifecrashes

Just put XT touring triple on my (MK1, like a Vaya with more mud room and more weight) Fargo, with 105 shifters and 105 front mech. 9 speed XT rear mech, 10 speed cassette and 105 10 speed STIs. All works sweet. Added mudguards and racks today, only waiting for a slightly shorter stem to arrive in the post and it’ll be finished.

cupra
    Free Member

I am running triple on the vaya, 26/36/48. No issues. I hated the fargo. Slow and sluggish on and off road.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Somebody has to say it… Surly Disk Trucker

ctznsmith
    Free Member

If it’s 700c the op is looking for stock of disc trucker frames is low in the uk until June. I.e. if you find one in your size buy it!

Touring bikes tend to have a 135 rear end so chainline isn’t too much of an issue with an MTb crank (may need to space bb depending on she’ll width) but stato is right it’s getting your front mech to work if it’s a road one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations: frame and fork to build as a tourer’ is closed to new replies.