Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Recommendations for things to do in LA
  • aleigh
    Free Member

I’m off to LA (Hollywood area) next Easter – apart from the obvious things to do, I’d love to hear about places that would be worth going to e.g restaurants/museums/beach places etc.

I’m there for 2wks.

Thanks!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s Amerikay so do NOT get shot!

rone

Not sure of the Space shuttle is still at the Science museum…

aleigh
    Free Member

I’ll look up the space shuttle, thanks 🙂

Thanks for the heads up about the guns…..!!! 😀

prawny

Hooters, redondo beach, Santa Monica, universal studios (VIP tour is amazing) try and get tickets for a filming in studio city, go to Wiener schnitzel, Denny’s, Venice, slightly crappy places that no tourists really want to go to like Buena Park, Levi’s shop at the Citadel.

Bloody hell I love LA, had 5 days there for out 1st anniversary as per of a three city tour, expected to hate it but I’ve never felt more at home anywhere out of the U.K.

aleigh
    Free Member

Thanks prawny, some great ideas there. Will definitely look up the universal VIP tour as the park itself is very similar to the Orlando one so it would be good to make the experience a bit different.

TiRed

Getty museum. Nixon’s presidential museum. Enjoyed both of these.

Speshpaul

http://petersen.org/

I’d like to go to the Petersen museum.

aleigh
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – can’t wait to go!

rone

Get a Bus tour around real locations used in films, Die Hard and Pulp Fiction etc. As a film buff I loved all that more than the Hollywood Area itself.

Endeavour appears to be still at endeavour

Pigface
    Free Member

Hire a bike and cycle the beaches, Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan, great fun.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno if you like (ice)hockey but I’d be keeping an eye on..
    http://kings.nhl.com/

To see what games are on while your’e there.

Just don’t get shot! 😉

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Griffith observatory at sunset, and Dogtown (Venice/Santa Monica)

dknwhy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsQZvsR_QI&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop[/video]

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you like these things, the La Brea Tar Pits Museum, for sabre-tooth cats etc.

aleigh
    Free Member

I haven’t heard that song in years!!

I had heard you can hire a bike, I may well do that. Did the same in NYC (around Central Park) and it was fab.

@esselgruntfuttock, don’t worry…… I’ll protect myself with a bullet proof vest!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Go shoot some big automatic weapons at a gun range.. Uzis, ak47s etc

aleigh
    Free Member

Now that’s an idea…. got to make sure I can protect myself!!

CountZero

I was in LA back in ’93, free trip thanks to Radio One, and I loved it. Had a trip round Universal Studios, drove down to Santa Monica and Venice, didn’t get up to Griffith Park though. Discovered a really good restaurant on Sunset called Toi, which is still there, very music based, Thai cuisine, definitely worth checking out. My mate and I drove down from North Hollywood every evening, we didn’t bother with anywhere else.
    http://toirockinthaifood.com

aleigh
    Free Member

You lucky thing Countzero! I’m definitely going to Santa Monica. I’m hoping where I’m staying will have some great places to eat…I want to be able to have a drink or 4!

lunge

See if you can see someone at The Hollywood Bowl, I saw Diana Ross there and she was amazing but the venue itself is awesome in its own right.

Mackem

Walk from Venice beach to Santa Monica along the coast path.

aleigh
    Free Member

We will be celeb spotting for sure 😆

A walk between those beaches would be nice actually, thanks for the suggestion

Xylene
    Free Member

Go on a gangland tour

KidCragg
    Free Member

If you are staying near weho (west Hollywood) I can highly recommend the griddle cafe for breakfast. Been to LA twice and was recommended it by friends there and by the hotel staff. Amazing food be warned people queue up early for it thou!

Dunno what else your into but if you are a music fan amoeba records is the best record shop in the world

CountZero

Aleigh, check this place out: http://www.yeoldekingshead.com/menus/breakfast-lunch-and-dinner/
    Right on the promenade.
    There’s something a bit bizarre sitting drinking Guiness on a bright sunny afternoon gazing out at the Pacific Ocean! 😀
    There’s a book called Bride Of The Rat God, by Barbara Hambly, set in Hollywood and Venice Beach during the 1920-30’s, that gives some interesting historical background to the whole area, while being a fun supernatural who-dunnit.
    If you fly into LAX at night, you get a really good idea of just how far LA spreads!

jekkyl

go and see where the Doors started out – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_a_Go_Go
    and across the road is the viper room,

BillMC

My kids thought Universal studios was quite boring (they felt that about Disney too). Muscle, Venice and Santa Monica beaches are worth a trip. Check out where the Baywatch lot stayed in Venice (old art deco place). The thought of driving across LA would give me nightmares, what a sprawl! Little coach trip round the Hollywood Hills with a guide pointing out the actors’ houses could be fun.
    I didn’t see a wave in LA but if I returned I’d make the trip to Malibu and join the very crowded line up.

johndoh
    Free Member

We were over near Redondo Beach a couple of years ago and went to a Jousting Knights theme night which was a good bit of fun – a packed arena and each side gets to support their Knight. I thought it would just be a load of badly acted play fighting but no, they properly bashed each other up with sparks flying off swords and so on. And whilst you watch they bring plates full of meat (no cutlery – just eating big chicken legs off the bone with your hands) and jugs of ale.

All very cheesy but a great laugh.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Santa Monica; Breakfast at Shutters, dinner at the Galley.

Hire a beach cruiser and to the length of the “prom”.

aleigh
    Free Member

An English pub in LA…wow! I think I may pop there once I get fed up with American food haha.

Muscle beach, definitely will be popping there! 😉

I’ll have to check with the girls about the jousting thing, I have been to something simliar before and it was good!

Ahh a record shop, i’ve not been to a proper one in a very long time, I will look that up 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Just done a quick Google - it was this place I think.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for things to do in LA’ is closed to new replies.