Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommendations for camper insurance and/or recovery?
  • bearGrease
    Full Member

    Hi, I suspect my current insurance broker is taking the micky with their renewal quote. Who’s good for campervan insurance?

    I had bundled RAC recovery and had to use them for the first time last Winter and they were woeful so might go for separate recovery cover. Any tips for that?


    Full Member

    I get insurance through the Caravan and Motorhome club (arranged by Devitts) and breakdown through The Camping club. This is pretty good as is Mayday (Caravan Club) as they will take you to your campsite to continue your holiday and bring you home afterwards if necessary.
    Hope this helps.

    Free Member

    My father used the Caravan Club insurance and Green flag recovery for many years.

    Full Member

    Don’t use Adrian Flux or Just Kampers (both the same outfit) particularly their rescue/recovery service – broke down and they were useless.

    Free Member

    Safeguard (part of Swintons), recovery here and in Europe is included, and they are pretty good, (ask how I know!)

    Full Member

    I’ve been with the Camping & Caravan Club insurance for years, admittedly with a caravan but they do campers too. Also got their Red Flag breakdown cover which covers my car, the caravan, and a 2nd car at a small extra cost. Cannot fault the breakdown cover at all when we needed it. We were in Norfolk on holiday when my car broke down. Provided us a hire car for 3 days as per policy, but then extended it to 5 days so we could drive ourselves home, and recovered the caravan to our home address.

    Full Member

    Ours is through Comfort. Aviva are the underwriters.
    Brakedown cover is via Ford and comes free with their service plan.

    Full Member

    I used Shield for the ten years I had a van. Easy to deal with, good price, and helpful staff. Fortunately never had to male a claim.


    Full Member

    We use AutoAid for the breakdown cover as they insure us as people irrespective of the vehicle we are in which is much better value when we have 2 cars and a campervan.

    Fortunately we have never had to make a claim / call out so no idea what the actual service will be like, its sounds reasonable in the policy but there’s no better test than reality

    Full Member

    I’ve been with Caravan Guard for 15 years. My premium has pretty much stayed the same over the whole time. I asked why it wasn’t going down & they told me that their premiums only go so low & I was already on the lowest one. Very easy to get hold of & there’s always a polite human on the other end of the phone. I’ve never had to use their services. UK recovery is included in my premium. European cover is available at no extra cost but you have to apply for this prior to travel.

    Full Member

    Adrian Flux for insurance (premium has stayed the same or reduced over the last few years)!

    AA for breakdown (criminally expensive renewal letter is on the table until I can be bothered with the annual ‘I’m leaving’ conversation). Reason 1 is it covers my 3.5t campervan at just over 6 metres, Reason 2 is it ties in with a 3rd party company that sends out a horsebox if we can’t be repaired at the roadside (although we have let that cover lapse and just did a 600 mile round trip with the horse…so probably should have renewed it!)

    Full Member

    Thanks for the tips all. I’ve just gone with Caravan and Motorhome club which was a fair bit cheaper than the renewal quote. Also added the campervan to the Green Flag recovery we already had for the car, again a fair bit cheaper.

    How do you know?

    Full Member

    Double check the small print with any recovery cover if you have a van – they’ll say vans up to 3.5t quite clearly. Not so obviously stated is there’ll often be a length limit of just 5m or 5.5m, even on dedicated van policies, which  rules out most vans. They’ll happily take the premium though. Check through any documentation, especially if its a cover-the-driver policy  – you tend not to get details about exclusions until after you’ve bought the policy

    I ended up covering mine with Sterling insurance for breakdown – all the providers I’ve used previously have changed their terms and now rule my van out. I think possibly Green Flag are OK for vans too, size wise.

    Free Member

    @bearGrease To answer your question, I’ve had cause to use the breakdown service a few times, the most recent being when my wife broke down, on her own in a 7m long van, 3 a.m., on the M27 about 10 miles from the ferry (!) on a bit with roadworks, hence no hard shoulder! They were excellent, recovered to our local dealer (250miles), then car to get home.
    I’ve had Caravan Club insurance in the past, from when we had a CL, also ok, though their prices went up; their Red Pennant breakdown is also good, but had to be arranged on a per-trip basis for outside the uk.* They did a year policy but it was eye-wateringly expensive. I wanted something that would let me pop over to France, for example, whenever I wanted to and know I was covered. I changed to Safeguard about 10 years ago and haven’t regretted it.

    *This may have changed by now.

    Free Member

    We’re with Safeguard. Had to be rescued one night after a major mechanical on the A65.

    They just use local breakdown people. Very good service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.