Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommendations for an android tablet
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Looking for a tablet for my 12 year old daughter- any recommendations- looking at upto £180 ish.

Do I need android 2.2 and how upgradeable is the os?

Thanks

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Come on – my daughters future happiness depends on you here……Is it because you’re all Apple snobs?

Dogzyboy
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab? Not tried it, but they’re meant to be one of the better ones out there. I think Creative are meant to be bringing one out too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not tried one but have been researching myself, I’d say one of the Herotabs or splash out the extra on a Vega

http://sf-zone.net/android_tablets/

schrickvr6
    Free Member

That’s almost triple his budget though….

Edit – and reviews say it’s pretty naff.

brassneck

Tab is pretty expensive I think – for that money I’d buy an iPad. The tab does do things like sms/video calling though as well I think if thats important, but I think it’s a bit TriggerHappyTV to use as a phone.

Lots of cheap (<£120) 7 and 10 inch jobs on Ebay, I’m thinking of buying a couple instead of an in-car DVD player – load up with games and cartoons on SD for less than a DS and a few games.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Have read awful reviews of the Next one. The Samsung one is ridiculsly over priced. What else is there?

Found this which looks good as Archos have a good reputation with hardware.

http://www.dabs.com/products/archos-7-8gb-internet-tablet-with-android-600mhz–7–colour-tft-and-wi-fi-71J3.html

brassneck

PS – for your daughters future happiness get her an iPad 😉

You might not be an ‘Apple snob’ but I bet her schoolmates are 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ipads start at £429!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Recent thread on this topic, and a previous one by stoner on one he bought IIRC.

cf
    Free Member

I seen this one the other day. Not looked at it properly though so it might be rubbish. Some reviews say it is good. 😕
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/16255707/Disgo-Tablet-6000-2GB-7-inch-Touch-Screen-Android-2-1-Tablet/Product.html

geoffj

The Archos one doesn’t use the full android marketplace IIRC
    I’ve got one of the cheap Apad jobs for £80. Its alright, but nothing special. Battery life is gash and the touch screen is old tech. It’s probably just worth £80 but no more.

There is a bit of a gap in the market for a £200 unit which is half decent IMHO.

bullroar
    Free Member

I had a play with one of these

http://www.staples.co.uk/commtiva-7-android-tablet

the other day at the local Staples. They are now a bit cheaper in store.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Stoners thead.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/android-apad-review-and-fao-geoffj

Andriod market can be added to the Archos one though. I thought.

DezB
    Free Member

I had a bad experience with a “cheap” Android tablet. It was garbage.
    So I bought an iPad (half price from our Corporate Perks website 🙂 )

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Archos one doesn’t use the full android marketplace IIRC

not by default, but it can be hacked – google market4archos

grievoustim
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is making a “cheap” android tablet which is worth the money yet. I’m sue it will happen, but now is not the time.

Sure she wouldn’t rather have an iPod touch with that budget?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tbh- she wants a laptop but my view is that for what she does at the moment (ie you tube, penguin whatever, facebook)a tablet would be fine and I could get her younger sister one as well for less than the cost of one laptop which would be fought over endlessly.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Archos 70 @ £229 is the only one to catch my eye so far. Advent Vega has good specs but is £250 and not readily available. Its also a 10″ screen and weights quite a bit.

To be honest, if its just surfing whats wrong with a cheap netbook type thing?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Netto have one on Thursday – 7″ with a keyboard docking station as well. On Android. £99

pedalhead
    Free Member

how about a subsidised ipad from Orange (£200 ish). Ok, you’re tied into a contract, but if your girl wants it bad enough, how about she mows the lawn or does the dishes for the next 2 years? My girls are a bit young for this kind of bargaining, but I’m looking forward to the day 😀

tazzymtb

the serious question, is what are you doing spending bike money on things for your kids!! Pop I do worry about your priorities at times 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

As above I’d splash out a little more and get an Advent Vega.

The Galaxy tab is laughably overpriced and deserves to fall flat in it’s face, which it will. It needs to be £80 less than the iPad not more. I’ll wager it’ll see a sizable price cut in the next few months or it’ll die a death.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Apads are good, I bought a 7″ one running Android 1.5 for £70 off ebay, and ‘flashed’ it to a better version (not difficult) so it runs faster, battery life is longer, and it links to Android Apps. I think they’re great; you can get the internet (mobile), play music, videos, games etc., and it even does what I originally intended it for – works as a great e-reader, which plays all the different ereader formats apart from .mobi! Why buy a £140 Kindle ereader, or pay £400 for an ipad? You can get bigger, faster apads, but an apad with Android 1.5 will do most things (apart from run Kindle,which needs 1.6, but you can convert .mobi files using Calibre).

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I think it’s play it safe time and I am going for a netbook- if Im totally honest with myself I want one for sofa surfing and was going to use the xmas purchase as a tester.
    Tazzy- on the basis of my pathetic wimp out on saturday I dont need bikes anyway 😥 However I have had a word with myself and I’m back in the game(ish)

Tinners

The things you learn on STW. I thought that this was going to be a thread about medicine for aliens……

scholarsgate
    Free Member

If I was to buy one it would be the Notion Ink Adam when it finally comes out

Failing that the Advent Vega

Cougar

I think it’s play it safe time and I am going for a netbook

I think you’ve made the right decision, personally.

I’d wait a generation until there’s dozens of the buggers before even entertaining the idea of buying a tablet.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Im sure the android market will leave apple for dead in a fairly short period as there are a lot more companies behind it as ar as R&D but it all seems a bit volatile at the moment- as an aside how can samsung justify their pricing!!

Stoner
    Free Member

as cougar says, right choice. Theres some great offers on netbooks out there.

I use my apad regularly and like it but it needs a sympathetic user. For £200 there just isnt yet a well pitched android offer. It will come soon, but is prob another 3-9 months away.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

pop larkin – starting a thread asking about Android Tablets and ending up deciding you’ll get a small Laptop because it’s ‘safe’, who’d have guessed? 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

I’d go for the Vega, and they should be more available before xmas, my best mate and now absent riding buddy has spent the last three months in china and the Vega has been his project, so if you have any nerdy questions about them mail me. I was going to grab an amico for my 11 year old nice, I must be a cheap skate uncle, but whilst it’s a no thrills starter thing, it does all the web things fine and should do what she needs.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Fennerhorne-I feel so guilty to let you down- however I may seek to redeem myself by getting a tablet for myself in the new year- ok 😉

Potdog
    Free Member

I just ordered one of the Zenithink E Pads ZT180. Had a scan on some of the Android forums and they seem to do exactly what you want for a 12 year old. Browse the net and sit for hours on facebook.

Perfect for my 14 yo daughter too, which is exactly why I ordered one.

Worked out at just under 110 quid shipped from China.

FROM HERE

Stick the code 15450 in at checkout for 5% discount.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Cheers Potdog- I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the same- we will see what the quality is like eh!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any updates gents?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just had mine delivered yesterday but working under stealth when the kids arent around so havent had loads of time- connected to internet ok-obviously not as quick as a laptop connection but first impression is that it is something you could live with.
    It’s running android 2.1 so I need to look into installing flash for certain apps but certainly as a webbrowsing machine looks to be worth the £110 paid- plus £10 vat on receipt of parcel.
    Next job is how to load .apk files (angry birds etc)on an SD card- any help gratefully received!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for an android tablet’ is closed to new replies.