Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommendations for a recommended 2nd heat source for my living room
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Decided about seven years ago to NOT have a radiator installed in the living room. It’s only 12’x 18′ so figured a gas fire would suffice. Needless to say – it doesn’t. Should I invest in a fire with greater heat output or supplement the existing one with a secondary heat source?

If the latter what isn’t too expensive to buy and run and isn’t the size of a Datsun 100a?

Ta loves.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Put radiator in?

crispo
    Free Member

Jumper?

geoffj

CaptJon
    Free Member

Brandy?

binners

You could keep yourself warm while vapourising your neighbours. Its a win/win

wors

Put radiator in?

Wot he said.

oh

Decided about seven years ago to NOT have a radiator installed in the living room

tight barsteward

wrecker
    Free Member

A) Radiator
    B) Bigger fire
    C) Insulation
    D) Air source heat pump
    E) Coat

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is electric heater some kind of dirty word on STW?

Will probably work out to be the cheepest option unless you’re spending the next 10 years in the house. Unless you plan on staying warm purely through the sense of smugness gained form heat pumps etc.

5lab

if you choose to go the radiator route, check your boiler has enough grunt to heat it and the rest of your house.

Have you thought about carpet (if floorboards at the moment) and thicker curtains?

donsimon
    Free Member

Improve insulation before wasting any more energy heating the front garden.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Farting ?

crispo
    Free Member

Under floor heating is really nice.

tthew

Oil filled, electric radiators reasonably cheap to buy, run and have a decent size/output ratio.

I realise you weren’t looking for a sensible answer when you decided to ask the STW massive, sorry.

binners

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A nice fat bird to cuddle up to.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And one of these each to go with Binners’ suggestion…

wrecker
    Free Member

Electrical resistance heating is a very inefficient method of heating, utilising an expensive fuel source. Cheap to buy; very expensive to run.
    Oh, and a thin bird will be warmer than a fat one, having a higher metabolic rate.

Bregante

Christmas at Casa Starship

derek_starship
    Free Member

I see Frankie Boyle endorses the slanket siamese!

MF – is that hugh monoslipper heated as well?

Loving the suggestions so far 😮

Aidy
    Free Member

Electrical resistance heating is a very inefficient method of heating

Um, aren’t all electrical heaters pretty close to 100% efficiency? First law of thermodynamics and all that.

5lab

Um, aren’t all electrical heaters pretty close to 100% efficiency? First law of thermodynamics and all that.

all heaters are 100% if you close your curtains to stop the light getting out 😀

I think his point is that electricity is an expensive way, per kw/h, to heat your house.

v666ern
    Free Member

A) Coat = £2.50 from a charitee shop
    B) Insulation = government grant is £200 for an average 3 bed semi cavity walls
    C) Radiator – Couple of hundred quid to put in, then to heat
    D) Bigger fire? as in Gas or do you mean lots more logs!
    E) Air source heat pump = rediculously expensive for low heat output. Unless you have a NEW house forget it as leaky old houses and ASHP’s and GSHP’s dont get up to ‘usual’ heat requirements 🙁

try insulating your walls first and see what a difference it makes, if it helps then the £150 you save on fuel can go towards your roof insulation grant 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

avdave2

Jumper?

Difficult to regulate – a nice cardy will offer better control

wrecker
    Free Member

Whilst it is true that there is a performance drop off in extreme low ambients, air source heat pumps are far more efficient than electric resistance heaters. Yes theyre also ugly and expensive.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some of the big hitters produce a lot of hot air.

v666ern
    Free Member

wrecker – true

Thebrick – thats STW for ya 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think his point is that electricity is an expensive way, per kw/h, to heat your house.

2kw electric heater – £16

The smallest air souce heat pump I can find on google is 4kw for £2.5k.

At 30p/hour for the 2kw heater or 10p/hour for the heat pump at 2kw (assuming 15p/kwh) it would need to run continuously for 1.4 years to break even, or at a more relistic 2 hours a day (clicking on/off on a thermostat) to heat a small room, for 20 weeks of the year it would take 22 years to pay back, assuming it doesn’t break down once in that time and you can install it yourself.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a recommended 2nd heat source for my living room’ is closed to new replies.