Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommendations for a cheap 24" IPS monitor?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Just getting back into digital photography after a 5 year break.

I’ve just bought a 2nd hand 60D body off ebay, a friend has a lens that I sold him years ago that I’ll buy back off him.

I’ve got a PC but no monitor as I only use it as a headless remote via the laptop, this will be used for processing using that free version of CS2 that appeared a while ago.

So, I used to have (I think) an HP IPS monitor, remember at the time that it was fairly pricey as IPS were quite rare back then.
    I’m after another one, but notice that there’s loads of cheaper (£150) IPS panels around now. So the question is, which one?!?

I liked the IPS back in the day as it had consistent brightness top to bottom at any viewing angle, I assume that even modern TN panels still aren’t as consistent as an IPS?

I currently use two Dell P2414H at work, considering just getting one of these as they seem to be good enough and aren’t that expensive.

Anything equally as good but cheaper of better but similar price?

ichi
    Free Member

I recently sold one of these to upgrade to a 27″ panel;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/monitors-and-projectors/pc-monitors/philips-234e5qhaw-full-hd-23-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21853517-pdt.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwz6KtBRDwgq-LsKjMk9kBEiQAuaxWUvlMC3CNjVLsr4RkvYHz6J-fpzP28k7_poQTHAya7G8aAmlb8P8HAQ&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!48502131379!!!g!81083647579!&ef_id=UkyYkAAAAXCABRq0:20150717074126:s

I did my research at the time and it seemed to be one of the better 23″ IPS panels in this price range. You could probably pick it up cheaper on Amazon/EBay.

A well configured TN panel comes closer to IPS than they used to but for brightness, colour accuracy, good blacks etc IPS is still the way to go especially if any sort of image editing is being done. I’ve got an AOC 144hz TN (one of their high end gaming panels) sat next to my IPS and the IPS pic quality is still noticeably better (was the same when I still had the Phillips panel).

cp

Until I read your thread properly, I was going to suggest a P2414H, as they are excellent for the money. I use one at home for photog

Cheaper on the bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Professional-P2414H-LED-Full-HD-IPS-Monitor-1920×1080-3-Year-Warranty-36WJX-/121540665000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4c635ea8

mrjmt
    Free Member

Balls, wrong forum, can someone report to get it moved?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s pretty much what I have (Dell 2412M).

I like it, though I wouldn’t be sure the colours are spot-on. You could calibrate it, though for some reason that just made all my 1-10% grays go pink!

Mine is the 1900*1200 version, though. HD res is stupid for computers.

Maybe better for you to buy a higher-quality monitor secondhand? Look for a roundup, make a shortlist and then go on ebay etc.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I can’t believe how cheap they are now!

Most of my photography is B&W as I’m colour blind, any colour shots I take, I edit using the histogram to get the balance right, have a guesstimate at saturation and then have my wife check them so its more the contrast / brightness accuracy I’m after.

I’ll keep the Dell as a fallback option, any recommendations of what to look for second hand? I’m struggling to see whether a higher spec older panel second hand would be any better than a cheaper new panel!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m colour blind

Interesting!

I’m struggling to see whether a higher spec older panel second hand would be any better than a cheaper new panel!

As a rule, with much technology this is true, especially one where actual improvements to the underlying mechanisms are rare [IPS has been around a while] but prices have been driven down.

However others will be along with more practical experience shortly.

mrjmt
    Free Member

When I’m looking at the Dell models, is it worth going for the ultrasharp ones rather than the ‘normal’ ones?

There’s only probably £30 in it?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m colour blind
    Interesting!

Ha, it can be. Normally if I don’t pay attention to the histogram, my images can have a pink / red hue as I can’t see it! I’ve become quite used to balancing the peaks though, it seems to work fairly well… 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sounds really interesting dude.

My experience with Dell monitors is limited to what I have put above.

I have also had a couple of Iiyama ones, quite like them too.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just won a refurb. U2412M for £130 on ebay.

how exciting!

mrchrispy

#nothingtodowithmebut….
    you didnt win anything, you just paid more that other other people that were interested in the item.

ichi
    Free Member

@^

That’s a bit pedantic. Anyhoo an auction is a competition and we generally refer to those who triumph in competition as winners, so yup he could say he won.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Funny, I nearly said win when I was talking about the camera body, then remembered I was on STW.

Anyway, I certainly feel like a winner.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a cheap 24" IPS monitor?’ is closed to new replies.