Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommendation for trail centre near A1
  • legolam
    Free Member

I’m going to a hen do in Brighton this weekend and am driving down from Newcastle.

I’m thinking of taking my bike and stopping off somewhere on Sunday on the way back for a couple of hours in the sunshine (hopefully!). Does anyone have a recommendation for a trail centre that’s not too far out of my way?

ton

hamsterley

tommyhine

the a1 isn’t to good for trail centre’s I’m afraid. If you’re going around the west side of the m25 which you probably aren’t then Swinley is close (10 minutes away) from that.

The trouble with the a1 is most of it goes through the flatlands of lincolnshire etc.

lucien

Sherwood Pines in between A1 / M1 split

martinhutch

If you’re prepared to go a slightly different way back (M1-M6 then back to M1), Cannock would be an option.

andrewh
    Free Member

Sherwood is very easy to get to from A1 but is very flat.
    Maybe go to Stanmer before you leave Brighton?

Legoman
    Free Member

You’ve got to travel 180 degrees round the M25, so it doesn’t really matter whether you go clockwise or anti-clockwise, so as Tommyhine said I’d go for Swinley.
    It’s close to the motorway and easy to navigate so you won’t waste any time looking for trails.

legolam
    Free Member

Hamsterley would be a good shout but it’s kind of my local anyway. Sherwood pines looks like an option, and I’ll look up Stanmer.

Google maps directs me round the west of London/M25 – is this right?

neninja
    Free Member

Bedgebury isn’t far from Brighton

Legoman
    Free Member

Google maps directs me round the west of London/M25 – is this right?

That’s the way I’d go. If you go east you’ll have to use the Dartford crossing – always a bottleneck.
    Also if you’re travelling today M25 is closed J23-25 (23 is the A1 junction) & likely to stay shut all day. I’d come off the A1 at St Albans and cut across to J21a on the A414

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If its got to be a trail centre, then how about Dalby Forest? Adds 50 miles or so onto the journey. Sherwood Pines is easy to get to too.

If not a trail centre, you could head off at Chesterfield and get into the Peak District, or divert to Pately Bridge for the classic Nidderdale loop, or a bit further north to get to Richmond and Reeth.

theotherjonv

Why’s the M25 shut? I’m travelling north later on today, was going to go A3 / M25 / M1 but if there’s a big incident knock on effects on friday nights can be severe.

makkag
    Free Member

Lorry overturned and crossed lanes – carnage on any road around there avoid m25 like the plague today – all other a roads are really backing up – im in kings langley near the accident and had called off my afternoon meetings !

qtip

Not really a trail centre, but a trip to Chicksands doesn’t add much to your journey time. Well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing. Probably not the best place if you’re firmly in the wheels on the ground at all times camp.

chestrockwell

Stainburn near Harrogate is close to the A1. Only small though. you could like it with the new track round Swinstey Res though.

legolam
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions (especially the ones for avoiding the traffic on Friday night).

I ended up doing a very hungover lap of Sherwood Pines this afternoon and it was fun despite the lack of elevation. Just what I needed after a weekend of girly activities and cava.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation for trail centre near A1’ is closed to new replies.