Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend to me a (this is a test for STW!)…
  • the-muffin-man

…Sewing Machine!

My 12 yr old daughter has asked for a sewing machine for Crimbo, but neither of us has any idea what is good or bad!

Probably budget of £100 tops.

All advice welcome.

😀

Yak

Dunno really, but ancient singer manual ones go forever. We have a small electric one too, but it’s utter pants.

ajantom

Both Bernina and Janome make good domestic machines. One of their cheaper models would do pretty well as a starter machine.
    I did see a John Lewis branded one in store for £50 last time I was in there. Not sure how good it would be, but should have a decent warranty being JL.

gummikuh

For that kind of money, you are going to be very limited with things like number of stitch patterns etc.
    You might be better off getting yourself into John Lewis and asking them.
    You could buy second hand, but old machines can be a nightmare with things like tension and availability of parts.
    My wife is a really good home seamstress I can ask when I get home.
    I have serviced all her machines, so know how to fix them when they play up.

dogmatix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OXMvUUQh8 man version of choosing a sewing machine, including how to get a bargain.

dogmatix

ignore the first minute, you might not think its for you, after that it makes lots of sense. He’s a proper sewing machine pro.

CraigW
    Free Member

Aldi or Lidl have them occasionally. I got one for about £50 a few years ago. I don’t use it very often, but seems to work fine for me, and has plenty of features for patterns etc.
    Though don’t know if they will have them before Christmas?

garage-dweller

Second hand might be worth a call if you can find a proper old school sewing machine shop. I got one years and years ago that did very well until I left it to rust in the garage.

Older machines are heavier and we’ll made, I used to stitch the odd sail with mine or webbing straps for user on the boat as well as domestic stuff.

I learned how to use a machine in a sail makers so was ok fiddling with tension etc.

darrenspink
    Free Member

We have one of these and even I can use the thing. My 10yr old uses it under supervision and loves it.

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-sewing-machine/p527345?colour=Red

Have a read of the reviews.

benji
    Free Member

Brother machines are excellent, might just be in your price range.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend to me a (this is a test for STW!)…’ is closed to new replies.