Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • recommend some wide and stiff road shoes.
  • robw1
    Free Member

so my Shimano R171 shoes have began to fall apart after a few good years. They were great….super stiff and good fit. Id get another pair but cant find any in my size….and they are now discontinued. I tried the RC7s but they just felt a bit flimsy for normal riding.

so, now I’m after something else that is wide, stiff (shimano 10 rating / carbon soles), under £130.
    I take a (shimano) wide fit by the way as most cycling shoes don’t fit me well.

Any recommendations??

lunge

I am wide of foot and always swore by Specialized shoes. I tried some Lake some shoes recently and was very impressed how stiff and comfy they were, though I’m not sure if they’ll be under £130.

13thfloormonk

Was going to suggest Lake as well, their standard last seems relatively wide, and they offer wider versions of some models.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not found anything in the shops that’s as wide as a shimano wide fit. Sidi do one, but no one has it on the shelves so you’re limited to larger chains where you can click and collect several pairs (best done the day after payday) and get immediately refunded on the ones you don’t want.

My R171’s are still doing well despite one sole cracking at the toe whilst kneeling down to do up the strap. Felt guilty ordering about 5 pairs from Evans, but then it’s a £170 pair of shoes with zero give so there wasn’t really another way.

isoo
    Free Member

My Lake mx237 wides are one of the widest shoes I’ve owned in general. I ride a lot on a fixed gear, so plenty of mashing standing up, and I’ve never noticed any flex. I did Lake’s “stand on a piece of paper and draw the outline of your feet” -thing and got a good fit on the first try.

Well over 130, though.

k1100t
    Free Member

+1 for Lake shoes. I’ve got the MX 237 ENDURANCE WIDE and they’re brilliant, flipping expensive, but brilliant. Can’t remember who I bought them from, somewhere in Germany, as no-one in the UK stocked that model in the wide fit.

isoo
    Free Member

And since this thread was about road shoes, the CX models are the same as MX, but without rubber outsole and three holes for the cleat.

hatter

Sidi mega wides may push the budget but they certainly tick the wide and stiff boxes.

Last for ages too.

therevokid
    Free Member

richard at saltdog cycling for your lake requirements. excellent chap
    to boot (see what i did there … 😆)
    currently have mx145, mx176 and mx237 in wide … bloody comfy and way better
    a wide fit than my shimano wides (r171, rc7 and xc7).
    the mx237 uses a different last that is even roomier than the other 2.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘recommend some wide and stiff road shoes.’ is closed to new replies.