Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend some replacement rims for my Tripster!
  • cinnamon_girl

Just following on from this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stans-grail-rims-is-it-just-me

The Grails will be going so am looking for rims that will take 40c or so tyres. Rim size of the Grails is just not compatible with the tyres I want to use.

Tubeless not essential, using discs, but criteria is that I must be able to put on and remove tyres. Current combination of Conti gatorskins/Grails is impossible for me.

Thank you. 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

The kinesis cx disc wheelset is good for the money.. Tubeless is an option too. I’ve got 2 sets… One with 28c conti 4 seasons and the other with 40c wtb nano race set up tubeless.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replying cloudnine. Been looking back through the Tripster thread and it seems that plenty of you went for the Kinesis wheelset and were happy with it.

Problem is that I want to use the existing Hope hubs, not sure whether spokes can be re-used?

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Cloudnine – what tubeless set up are you running? A rim strip or just yellow tape and valves?

Am just about to pull the trigger on some Kinesis CX wheels and wanted to try tubeless on them so any advice on your setup would be great!

A

1-shed
    Free Member

I use a 29er wheel set and that works fine with 700×40 tyres. So looking for 29er rims may be a solution. The video on Spa cycles may be of help.http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php good luck 1 shed.

cinnamon_girl

cloudnine – any problems fitting the Conti’s? Now thinking the two wheelsets is the way to go.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I just ran 2 layers of some yellow tessa tape (same as stans).. And a couple of tubeless valves. I would recommend making a bottle ghetto inflator as I wouldn’t have got them up just with a track pump.

Haven’t given them a proper ride as I’ve been having treatment for a stomach ulcer and the medication has zonked me.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Nice one – cheers!

cloudnine
    Free Member

I can just about get the contis off with just my thumbs so easy peasy.
    Don’t forget extra rotors and cassette needed.

swanny853

Depending on if the width works for you, american classic 101s are basically crests in all major factors but the one I have has so far proved easier to get the tyre on and off. Still tubelesses well though.

jameso

Pacenti CL25s are great if you already have the hubs. Nice size for 35-42C, work well tubeless or with tubes, light for the width, good prices at on-one currently. Been happy with them over the last year for light off-road and road use, using a few different tyres.

cinnamon_girl

1 shed – that’s helpful, thanks. Will check the vid.

cloudnine – that sounds nasty and hope you’ll soon be able to ride again. Wheels are being dismantled as cassette and rotors will be used again.

swanny – helpful info, thank you.

james – the Hope hubs will be reused.

tinribz
    Free Member

Halo Aerotrack – strong, light, cheap, look great, 19mm.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I went for 2 sets of the Kinesis CX wheels in the end,

28C conti 4 seasons for road use and a 42c Conti x-kings for more mixed exploring

Can change both types with thumbs, not tried tubeless yet but its on the cards for the off road set

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some replacement rims for my Tripster!’ is closed to new replies.