Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Plz Recommend some OLD & good horror films
  • jekkyl

We’re having a scare fest on saturday and I need 2 or 3 old scary films to watch, please shoot with your recommendations. Here’s 2 of mine to start.

Psychomania is about a gang of bikers who discover the power to come back from the dead and set about rampaging the countryside. Set in the 60s, it’s pure kitsch and camp as you like but lots of fun.

The_Devil_Rides_Out is about a chap who uncovers a load of devil worshippers culminating in a great scene near the end where you get to see the great beast himself, great stuff. Absolutely terrifying when I was a kid.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Braindead. Only about 20 years old, so not exactly old, old. Fairly low budget but total gore-fest and hilarious

Or for the “low budget, is this for real?” factor – Basket Case. When we watched this as teenagers it was funny, horrible and weird in equal measure. Any of my mates with a massive spot on their head/face still get called Basket Case to this day.

noteeth
    Free Member

Perhaps unsettling rather than outright horror, but I’m off to see Carnival of Souls tonight, at my favourite cinema (The Cube in Bristol).

pegglet
    Free Member

the cabinet of dr.caligari..quite old at1920 …

vinnyeh

Lair of the White Worm. Ken Russell kitsch, but a great cast
    To the Devil a Daughter. Another film based on a Dennis Wheatley book (as devil rides out). A bit controversial.
    Cat People. Both are worth a look. The 40s film is great, the 80s has Natassia Kinski.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Anything by Hitchcock, The Shining, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, American werewolf in london

johndoh
    Free Member

The Exorcist

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh, and American Werewolf in London isn’t a horror film – it’s a comedy!

ocrider

I’d slide Evil Dead 2 into the comedy category along with it. Great film mind you!

jekkyl

Carnival of souls looks perfect as does to the devil a daughter. Exactly what I’m after. Cheers all.

saleem
    Free Member

I’m going to see the original Nightmare on elm street tomorrow night at the cinema, the other half has never seen it before so I’ve suggested she takes a spare pair of knickers, who knows maybe I’ll need them. 😀

PrinceJohn

‘m going to see the original Nightmare on elm street tomorrow night

Keep an eye out for a young Johnny Depp…

Nosferatu? I went to a showing of that in a Cathedral once, was great fun.

Halloween, Phantasm, Hellraiser, Driller Killer, Critters?

kimbers

Pit and the pendulum, mask of the red death

Can’t Beat a bit of vincent

CountZero

Nosferatu, Hellraiser, Carnival Of Souls, Event Horizon, Alien.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Night of the demon, and another Vincent price classic, the raven.

DarrenH

Salems lot? I can’t remember if it was a movie or tv mini-series.
    Scared me ****less when I was a kid!

DezB
    Free Member

Near Dark

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

deluded
    Free Member

Rawhead Rex (1986)

It’s so abominably sh1te it falls off the scale and reappears back at the top – great film 😀

kcal

Depends on what sort of ‘horror’ you’re after.
    Don’t Look Now is definitely disturbing, not sure it falls into Horror genre though..

On similar tack, The Wicker Man. I believe they were released on the same bill in cinemas in 1973, must have been a draining evening out that one..

saleem
    Free Member

@Princejohn, I shall keep an eye out for him, when they’re not closed.
    Aye Salems lot scared the crap out of me as well. No mention of the Omen yet. 👿

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

From Beyond http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091083/ . I remember finding this quite disturbing at the time (’86). must see if I can find a copy of it somewhere

JCL
    Free Member

The best horror firms aren’t gorefests but psycological dramas. There is some M.R James TV stuff on YouTube that wipes the floor with any horror IMO.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Oohhhh!!! Just found a full copy of Bad Taste on the tube of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMn_1rs0uD4

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Night of the Demon is pretty tame by modern standards but is good.

Peeping Tom is worth watching and as noted above, Nosferatu is good too. I think that was what the Salem’s Lot tv version was based on.

papamountain
    Free Member

Another vote for Salem’s Lot. The only old horror that actually scared me when I was a kid.

papamountain
    Free Member

Another vote for Salem’s Lot. The only old horror that actually scared me when I was a kid. Usually gets shown in two parts, David Soul.

Caher

The Haunting (1966) pretty scary.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Eraserhead

user-removed
    Free Member

The original film version of MR James’ Whistle and I’ll come to you” is bloody brilliant. Entertaining and unsettling in equal measures. Highly, highly recommended!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The Fog
    Halloween is jumpy scary and one of my personal favourites
    Poltergeist is a classic

midlifecrashes

The House on Haunted Hill, 1959 Vincent Price

saleem
    Free Member

My son just told me about this, not a movie but it’s freaked him out all the same.

The Mysterious Case of Elisa Lam

darrell
    Free Member

reanimator

athgray
    Free Member

A Nightmare on Elm Street.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

I think the Asians do horror very well (if you don’t mind subtitles)

I really enjoyed R-Point, and then there’s The Ring of course

shermer75
    Free Member

Anything else is just the first of the losers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnr9xycVLo[/video]

noteeth
    Free Member

the best horror firms aren’t gorefests but psychological dramas

Copy that. I’d never seen Carnival of Souls until last night, and it was amazing. I once saw a trailer for it whilst taping (of all things) an episode of Twin Peaks circa 1991, and it’s haunted me ever since. Anyway, I can see why it’s become a cult classic – made on a tiny budget and well ahead of its time.

Much of it is set in an abandoned fairground, and its main character is a troubled lady who plays the church organ whilst being haunted by visions of a macabre waltz in an empty dancehall – really, what else do you need? 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTz0EvfEiY[/video]

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Night of the demon -classic .

bueller
    Free Member

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Maximum Overdrive (1986) Written and Dir by Stephen King

They Live (1988)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Plz Recommend some OLD & good horror films’ is closed to new replies.