Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Recommend new Commuting Bike, Kona Sutra replacement
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

looks like I’m changing offices so it’s going to be a 20km commute each way. Currently I commute on a 2011 Kona Sutra, which is a great bike but feel it’s too heavy and overbuilt for what I need. I’ll be clocking up about 400m of ascent each way.

Should I look at trying to lighten the Kona up or is that never really going to make difference? Is there a suitable frame I could swap my components onto that would build into a lighter/nippier package? Or should I look at a new bike?

Conqueror
    Free Member

Depends how heavy it is.

Wheels are often a noticeable upgrade.

Problem is you might spend quite a bit upgrading it and only noticing marginal improvements.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat/Escapade?

Conqueror
    Free Member

As an escapade owner I can definitely recommend it. I changed from the Kona Honky Tonk to Escapade.

I’m not sure I got the weight down a huge amount, but I’ve got nicer wheels and disks.

I think you already have disks though?

grantyboy
    Free Member

the Escapade caught my eye and would hopefully be able to transfer most parts over. Quick Google shows the Escapade as about 4kg lighter built up

tinribz
    Free Member

For a given amount of cash your gonna end up with a much better bike upgrading, manufacturers skimp on everything on off the shelf bikes.

The Kona frame sounds like an ideal starting point for a commuter, new groupset & new wheels would make it awesome.

Wait 400m of ascending! Hmm think I’d consider electric assisted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Recommend new Commuting Bike, Kona Sutra replacement’ is closed to new replies.