Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • recommend me…..Luggage
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

New job has me travelling a fair bit in the next year. Time to update my luaggage – I’ve only got a mahoosive family luggage bag, tptal overkill for travelling on my own and hauling into a different hotel every night.

whats a good quality, wheely type case for the solo travelling gentleman, preferably don’t wan’t to spend more than £70 or so.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oooh. Get ‘er with ‘er jetsetting ways! 🙂

If travelling regularly, as I know you will be, Samsonite. Ignore the cost, it will repay itself. I do a lot of flights, and flit between Sammy and Keith My beloved old Animal 120l monster. (Animal the drummer was named after Keith Moon. Geddit?). Keith is suffering and soon to be replaced. Sammy is still pretty much perfect, even after 10+ years of regular use on flights. Money well spent.

They do send you in the comfy end, don’t they? Oh, and about that discount we discussed…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for evoc in the sales

geoffj

Samsonite cases are good, but Tumi are a step up IMHO. You do really need to persuade yourself that it’s an investment though.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got an Ogio layover, looks like an older version of what’s out now. Lovely bag, great size for short trips but also expands. Brilliant wheels and very durable, lasted better than my Samsonite and easily identifiable on the carousel.

Bear in mind everything will get wrecked by the handlers at some point so don’t get a smart bag!

jamiep
    Free Member

Happy with Eastpak Tranverz Small. Light and take-on size. Around £60 if you shop around

davosaurusrex

Dakine 65l split rollers look good for less than £70 on sale. I don’t have one though

TrekEX8
    Free Member

My Tumi was great, until the zip failed and the replacement cost was £180!
    Another vote for samsonite, hard shell if it’s for hold luggage. If it’s a cabin wheelie bag, just make sure it fits the gauge for the airlines you’re likely to be flying with.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got some Wenger luggage a few years ago when Tesco’s were doing a voucher deal on them. I got two small size cases for my work travels both good for taking in the cabin on scheduled airlines, but have been checked in a few times during their lives. A good few years of around 10 to 12 trips a year and they’re still looking as good as new. They’re pretty light weight, the telescoping handles are nicely engineered with a nice smooth action to them, a rifle bolt like locking action, and the wheels run nice and smooth and seem robust. Not sure how much they are new if you were to pay with cash, but not hugely expensive I think, but I’d recommend those for sure.

jonba
    Free Member

My wife travels a lot (minimum is a commute Newcastle to London once a week) and has always used Samsonite. I think in 10 years she has bought 2 and had one replaced under warranty. The first one she wore the wheels down on so had to replace!

Get one with uni directional wheels – that way you can drag it behind you as normal or push it narrow ways through crowds and down aisles without taking people out and getting stuck.

bodgy
    Free Member

John Lewis own brand luggage is very good – similar in quality to Samsonite but a third of the price.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Whenever wheels/handles/locks etc need replacing on my Samsonites, a quick email to their customer services department sees them sent out free of charge.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t own any but a friend who racks up a lot of international miles swears by Briggs and Riley. True lifetime warranty even if it’s airline baggage handling damage. I suspect very expensive but you can pick it up in sales.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/lifetime-guarantee?__country=GB

benp1

Travelling how?

Plane or train?
    Short or long haul?
    Direct or stopovers?
    Business or cattle class?
    Hand luggage or checked in?

I’d personally recommend soft hand luggage for the usual ‘one bag’ and hand luggage reasons. I used to travel a lot with work and this was my approach

eltonerino
    Free Member

We’ve had some good use out of antler (and their trendy brand, but I can’t remember it’s name)

Tallpaul
    Free Member

My John Lewis cabin sized wheelie case has been faultless over the last decade. It gets used about 6-8 times per year for anything up to 4 nights away and still looks brand new.

tonyg2003

Yep Samsonite roll on cabin luggage here for me too. Mine is going well at almost 8 yrs old.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps – looks like samsonite is the winner.

Now – to the sales!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you can find it…..sapient pearwood.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Don’t be a trolley wally. Get a rucksack.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got a JL own brand cabin bag and it’s come away at a few seems. My fault for overstuffing it but that’s what you do to luggage.

I was in house of fraser earlier (very rare trip to town) and noticed they have a 50% sale on luggage which might be worth a look.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

went for this – gawd bless amazon!

Wasted opportunity …

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘recommend me…..Luggage’ is closed to new replies.