Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…
  • colp

Life is Beautiful
    Fargo

mattsccm
    Free Member

Big Wednesday.
    It’s just nice.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Life is beautiful is fantastic

Try Jesus of Montreal

Great light family entertainment with a serious side: Son of Rambow

tinribz
    Free Member

Oldboy turned up in Netflix recommendations, WTF aside, good film.

zelak999
    Free Member

Chinatown
    Mullholland Drive
    The Big Lebowski

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Moon, nice twist to it.

Tricone
    Free Member

Andrei Rublev By Tarkovsky
    Stalker by Tarkovsky
    Werckmeister Harmonies by Bela Tarr

and possibly the greatest of them all:

Satantango by Bela Tarr

corroded
    Free Member

How about a couple of classics from Down Under?
    The Castle – so quotable.
    Two Hands – the fella out of Batman
    Both great.

choppersquad
    Free Member

“Fear Of A Black Hat” superb rap version of Spinal Tap. Following the group NWH and it’s three members Ice Cold, Tasty Taste and Tone Def. I don’t know anyone who’s even heard of it. A classic.

z1ppy

CS, I own a copy… was introduced to it years ago by a m8, I like it a lot but it might not be to everyone taste or humor 😈

Ice Cold: Right, but see actually that shit was supposed to be NWH – Fear of a Black Hat, then subtitled “Don’t Shoot Until You See the Whites.”
    Nina Blackburn: Of their eyes?
    Ice Cold: Who’s eyes?
    Nina Blackburn: Don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eyes.
    Ice Cold: Nah, don’t shoot until you see the whites, period. That’s it, end of story..

Actually a pretty damn good film recommendation for this thread.

donal
    Free Member

For those who like ‘What’s Eating Gilbert Grape’, an early Lassa Hallstrom film called

‘My Life as a Dog’

Keeping the Swedish theme, two Lukas Moodysson films:

‘Together’
    ‘Lilya-4-Ever’

A film which I watched when I was younger and which had an impact on me:

‘Palindromes’

muzzle
    Free Member

Elephant.

Not a wildlife film, by the way. Brilliant Gus Van Sant film about a high school shooting.

langylad
    Free Member

Have to say Life is Beautiful makes me cry every time i watch it, superb. Another Italian film I loved was Il Postino.
    Probably seen by most but Memento and The Machinist are thought provoking and very watchable, plus I’m a big Ian McKewan fan and I thought Atonement was a great film.

colp

This is a great thread, very useful.

To counterbalance all of the fantastic films mentioned, Flubber, as bad as all of the above added together are good.

Torminalis
    Free Member

the holy mountain

by alejandro jodorowsky in 1973 (the year i was born)

the best film ever made in the entire history of this or any universe. 90 minutes of the most amazing involved visual/mental trip ever.

Oh wow. They really weren’t messing about when they made this.. erm.. piece. Utterly bonkers.

RustySpanner

Well, this has turned out well, hasn’t it? 😀
    I’ve really enjoyed some of the stuff suggested so far.
    Thanks!

A few more:

Show Me Love – just by describing it as a Swedish lesbian teenage love story, I’m setting it up to fail. 🙂
    Think ‘Gregory’s Girl’, but with two girls. It’s ace. A really lovely, moving film.

Breaker Morant – Edward Woodward, the Boer War and a particularly ambiguous episode of British colonial nonsense. Superb.
    Shoot straight, you bastards.

Wings Of Desire – Wim Wenders most accessible film:
    Angels, Peter Falk, Nick Cave & Berlin at it’s most amazing.

Two Lane Blacktop – best road movie ever?
    A 55 Chevy out acts Dennis Wilson and James Taylor.

La Règle Du Jeu – French pre war country house drama – Jean Renoir manages to define an entire nation in an hour and a half.
    Wonderful.

The Castle – so quotable.

How’s the serenity?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Thin Red Line. Because it’s a haunting existential examination of the nature of man’s conflict within the context of nature, humanity, hierarchy and survival.

I can’t shake it from first place on my list of all time greats, this film moved me in a way that only music usually does.

notlocal
    Free Member

We were soldiers – based on the true story of a war photographer and the fledgling US Air Cavalry in one of their first battles.

2bit

Taxi, le cage aux folles, La Haine, In Bruges, Stranger than Fiction, Grosse Point Blank

johnellison
    Free Member

Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner).

Bear with me on this one…

It was the first feature length film ever made by an entirely Inuit crew and featuring an all Inuit cast (you’re reading that right, Inuit – Eskimo in the vernacular).

The dialogue is all in Inuktitut and it’s probably one of the most atmospheric films you’ll ever see. There’s very little music so all the sounds are what you would expect to hear – which is mainly the creaking and shifting sea ice.

Atanarjuat is a traditional Inuit tale of two brothers, set at odds when a mysterious shaman appears in the midst of their community preaching ill omens.

It needs a couple of watches to get the hang of it but it’s incredibly rewarding if you persevere with it.

Linky HERE

AlexSimon
    danandem
    Free Member

Let the right one in. Swedish vampire movie, really nicely shot and haunting

jambourgie
    Free Member

The Music Of Chance

Watch on Youtube 🙂

[/url]

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…’ is closed to new replies.