Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…

Home Forum Chat Forum Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…
  • zinaru

the holy mountain

by alejandro jodorowsky in 1973 (the year i was born)

the best film ever made in the entire history of this or any universe. 90 minutes of the most amazing involved visual/mental trip ever.

Bimbler

Station Agent + Whatever

Super

wordnumb

Zinaru, it’s all about conquering the mountains horizontally. Great film.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

only one vote for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape so far, so I’ll add another one. Just beautiful.
    And Winter’s Bone – not easy, but a fantastic film.

zinaru

wordnumb! exactly.

zoom back camera…

prawny

Has anyone suggestes Everything is Illuminated’ yet? One of my favourite films, probably mainly because it’s got the singer out of Gogol Bordello in a starring role.

Takes itself a bit seriously in places, but it’s funny and heartwarming, and generally just nice to look at.

Lester

if you like them loud and funny
    try Shoot em up

iolo

I really like Freeze Frame. It’s with Lee Evans. I never realised he could do serious acting so well.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

l.627 and 36 Quai des Orfèvres

Been trying to remember 36 Quai des Orfèvres all day – two more pretty good french crime movies

IA

Just thought I’d bump this for the “looking for a film to watch of a friday night” crowd…

Titan A.E. – Great sci-fi animation, big cast and some laugh out loud funny moments.

+1 for Pluncett and Macleane, I need to watch this again as it’s been years. Alam Cummings at his best plus excellent use of contemporary cockney slang in a period drama and the ball scene is ace (soundtrack by Rob Dougan).

Joan of Arc – for John Malkovich being as crazy as usual 😀

Benny and Joon – more johnny depp being epic

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter – you just have to, right? (only unusual, recent film I think of right now)

edit: and
    Secondhand Lions – very easy to watch but also very moving, lovely.

prawny

Abraham Lincoln – Vampire Hunter could have been amazing. But they cocked it up. It was too serious or not serious enough. They should have got whoever did the Dawn of The Dead remake to do it.

I’m going to say

Harrison Bergeron

and

Robinson in Space

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Wait a minute… Is this a STW film thread where nobody’s recommended Garden State?

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Late Night Shopping – a bit of a gem.
    That Sinking Feeling – Bill Forsyth’s first film. genius!
    Comfort and Joy – another Bill Forsyth starring Bill Paterson. It’s a film I always return too.
    Tell no one – a brilliant, taut thriller that proves the French know how to make truly great films.
    Leon – Luc Besson at the top of his game.
    Dazed and Confused – it’s funny how much of a spot the star film it has become but it’s a great film that is well worth a watch.
    Singles – hip comedy from when Grunge ruled. Not seen it for years. Hmmm. Need to watch it again soon.

grum

Just bookmarking the thread. 🙂

heavyman

The aforementioned Once were warriors is a classic along with the follow up, What becomes of the broken hearted

Boondock Saints is brill as is
    Deliverance

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Sanny – Member

Singles – hip comedy from when Grunge ruled. Not seen it for years. Hmmm. Need to watch it again soon.

So good, that. I’ve genuinely used Singles chatup lines. “I was just nowhere near your neigbbourhood…”

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Robinson in Space

The film the preceded it ‘London’ seems so perfectly relevant just now. The bit when the gate posts to vauxhall park are stunned into silence by the reelection of john major is an amazing little film moment. One of my favorite bits of film ever. You can get the two together on DVD. Robison in ruins is good too, although you really feel the absence of Paul Scofields voice.

My reccomendations:’Harold and Maude’. About a relationship between a hen pecked teenage boy who repeated fakes his own suicide in ever more convincing and elaborate fashions and a 79 year old woman who gate crashes strangers funerals and then steals their cars.

‘Adaptation’ set during the making of ‘being john malcovich’ the films writer is struggling to adapt a novel into a screenplay and as he does so his life turns into the holywood version of the story that he’s trying to avoid writing. Most disorientating its a good film with Nicholas cage in it.

For feature length documentary ‘the act of killing’ simultaneously jaw droppingly horrifying and dizzingly surreal. Like the mighty boosh turning up in the middle of a war crimes tribunal.
    And
    ‘Hell and back again’ properly good observational documentary, every frame a perfect photograph.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

A few (most likely covered already) from my last long haul flight
    Submarine – no actual Submarines but still great
    Senna
    Man On Wire

alaslas

Watched Office Space and Riding Giants last night based on this thread. Top night’s entertainment.

Some recommendations- Fitzcarraldo, the “Sunset” trilogy dir by R Linklater, Seven Samurai, Ghost Dog.

sweepy

Has anyone said “intouchables” watched it last night, very good.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

Kick Ass

If you aren’t too bothered by violence and humour mixed together.

It made me laugh, it made me (almost) cry, if made me laugh again.

It made me go ” Yehhh” when the baddie got zapped.

wordnumb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMZdQC2gn4k[/video]

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Life is Beautiful
    Fargo

mattsccm

Big Wednesday.
    It’s just nice.

Life is beautiful is fantastic

Try Jesus of Montreal

Great light family entertainment with a serious side: Son of Rambow

tinribz

Oldboy turned up in Netflix recommendations, WTF aside, good film.

zelak999

Chinatown
    Mullholland Drive
    The Big Lebowski

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

Moon, nice twist to it.

Tricone

Andrei Rublev By Tarkovsky
    Stalker by Tarkovsky
    Werckmeister Harmonies by Bela Tarr

and possibly the greatest of them all:

Satantango by Bela Tarr

corroded

How about a couple of classics from Down Under?
    The Castle – so quotable.
    Two Hands – the fella out of Batman
    Both great.

“Fear Of A Black Hat” superb rap version of Spinal Tap. Following the group NWH and it’s three members Ice Cold, Tasty Taste and Tone Def. I don’t know anyone who’s even heard of it. A classic.

z1ppy

CS, I own a copy… was introduced to it years ago by a m8, I like it a lot but it might not be to everyone taste or humor 😈

Ice Cold: Right, but see actually that shit was supposed to be NWH – Fear of a Black Hat, then subtitled “Don’t Shoot Until You See the Whites.”
    Nina Blackburn: Of their eyes?
    Ice Cold: Who’s eyes?
    Nina Blackburn: Don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eyes.
    Ice Cold: Nah, don’t shoot until you see the whites, period. That’s it, end of story..

Actually a pretty damn good film recommendation for this thread.

donal

For those who like ‘What’s Eating Gilbert Grape’, an early Lassa Hallstrom film called

‘My Life as a Dog’

Keeping the Swedish theme, two Lukas Moodysson films:

‘Together’
    ‘Lilya-4-Ever’

A film which I watched when I was younger and which had an impact on me:

‘Palindromes’

muzzle

Elephant.

Not a wildlife film, by the way. Brilliant Gus Van Sant film about a high school shooting.

Premier Icon langylad
    Subscriber

Have to say Life is Beautiful makes me cry every time i watch it, superb. Another Italian film I loved was Il Postino.
    Probably seen by most but Memento and The Machinist are thought provoking and very watchable, plus I’m a big Ian McKewan fan and I thought Atonement was a great film.

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

This is a great thread, very useful.

To counterbalance all of the fantastic films mentioned, Flubber, as bad as all of the above added together are good.

Torminalis

the holy mountain

by alejandro jodorowsky in 1973 (the year i was born)

the best film ever made in the entire history of this or any universe. 90 minutes of the most amazing involved visual/mental trip ever.

Oh wow. They really weren’t messing about when they made this.. erm.. piece. Utterly bonkers.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Well, this has turned out well, hasn’t it? 😀
    I’ve really enjoyed some of the stuff suggested so far.
    Thanks!

A few more:

Show Me Love – just by describing it as a Swedish lesbian teenage love story, I’m setting it up to fail. 🙂
    Think ‘Gregory’s Girl’, but with two girls. It’s ace. A really lovely, moving film.

Breaker Morant – Edward Woodward, the Boer War and a particularly ambiguous episode of British colonial nonsense. Superb.
    Shoot straight, you bastards.

Wings Of Desire – Wim Wenders most accessible film:
    Angels, Peter Falk, Nick Cave & Berlin at it’s most amazing.

Two Lane Blacktop – best road movie ever?
    A 55 Chevy out acts Dennis Wilson and James Taylor.

La Règle Du Jeu – French pre war country house drama – Jean Renoir manages to define an entire nation in an hour and a half.
    Wonderful.

Premier Icon 10
    Subscriber

The Castle – so quotable.

How’s the serenity?

Tom_W1987

The Thin Red Line. Because it’s a haunting existential examination of the nature of man’s conflict within the context of nature, humanity, hierarchy and survival.

I can’t shake it from first place on my list of all time greats, this film moved me in a way that only music usually does.

notlocal

We were soldiers – based on the true story of a war photographer and the fledgling US Air Cavalry in one of their first battles.

2bit

Taxi, le cage aux folles, La Haine, In Bruges, Stranger than Fiction, Grosse Point Blank

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…’ is closed to new replies.